Official BAM XI 2011 Thanks, Shout Outs (...and Missed Connections?) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Car Info: Reason
Originally Posted by Roo
The vegetarian lasagna was available by request, and from what I hear, the request came late in the game. We heated up a few of them (that I saw), but not sure about the timing...

...you'll have to ask Paul about the short block. I have no idea what went on with that.
I was ticket #112, and my wife was #113 - we requested when we went through line with our group and it was close to an hour before the lasagna was ready, at which point it tasted like bbq smoke! Not a big deal for me - I am by no means complaining - I had plenty of chips/salsa/guacamole in the FLI booth to tide me over. I think we were probably the only ones that ate the lasagna - just a guess. If by some chance you remember this next year, I have some suggestions for things that will cook very quickly.

/token vegetarians.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
Good times, but the music being so loud made it difficult to talk in the vendor area
Originally Posted by JDMGC8
I second that..
Originally Posted by huck
Way, way too loud. Had to scream to talk to people.
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld
Great event once again! Thank you to everyone that made it happen! Only complaints I had was the music (volume and selection). Other than that, I enjoyed myself and I got a cool prize!
Originally Posted by G_Ride
It was a good event. I got to see some people I rarely see. The music was too loud.
Originally Posted by smoshmonker
The venue was kick ***! Had a lot of fun. As already said, the music was a bit loud. Also, I'd like to see burgers and hot dogs make a return next year. I think ribs were a little to tricky to serve to 300+ people correctly. Props to the chefs anyway, I heard a couple bailed before the meet, but the ones there picked up the slack!

-Pink Mustache Ride
Originally Posted by snobaer
I really enjoyed seeing everyone's rides. Some awesome things are being done. It's always fun (and often educational) to see how each individual makes their Subie their own.

The music is my main complaint. *It was way, way too loud and pretty 'one note' in the music selection. It would have been nice to be able to hold conversations with people without screaming. I am pretty sure some stereocilia were sent to their deaths while I was sitting at the tables eating lunch.

I thought the venue was nice. Timing on the food and raffle was much later than I expected (raffle started well after 3:30 - and the event was scheduled to end at 3).

I recall hearing that there were issues with the cooking volunteers (unable to come, missed communication or some such). Such is the way of things sometimes with volunteers. It is unfortunate as that appears to have thrown much of the afternoon's schedule off. Hopefully a group of solid volunteers will help out next year to make the event even better.

Out of curiosity does any one know what happened to the vegetarian lasagna or the "Grand Raffle Prize - a built shortblock from DBTuned" that was listed on the event description? Did I manage to leave before the raffle drawing was over? (I left as the awards for the cars were starting to be given out)

Looking forward to meeting folks at the local meets and seeing everyone at next year's event. Snobaer will be rockin' a nice set of mods by then!
Originally Posted by macker
Thanks to everyone who put on a volunteer event, with relatively low ticket prices, and profits going to charity (Red Cross).

I was really surprised, and disappointed with some aspects. I'd love to give some feedback, but I don't want to "threadcrap" here. If someone wants the feedback, let me know where to send it. Given the ticket prices, volunteer nature, profits going to charity, I think the outcome was pretty good overall... just some things that would've helped me to enjoy it a lot more. (Yes, volume of music inside the hangar was a big one. And I _like_ my music loud; this was excessive.)

Anyways, thanks to vendors for supporting the raffle, thanks to people for showing off their cars, and thanks to all the volunteers for your time, efforts and resources.
All of you complaining and no on said anything at the time...

Closed mouths don't get fed.

Last edited by cmonster; 08-09-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Originally Posted by cmonster
All of you complaining and no on said anything at the time...

Closed mouths don't get fed.
Maybe they did but no one can hear them over the music?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
lol
Old 08-09-2011, 04:28 PM

maybe so. sorry it hurt your wittle eaws....
Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
Originally Posted by buzzword
I was ticket #112, and my wife was #113 - we requested when we went through line with our group and it was close to an hour before the lasagna was ready, at which point it tasted like bbq smoke! Not a big deal for me - I am by no means complaining - I had plenty of chips/salsa/guacamole in the FLI booth to tide me over. I think we were probably the only ones that ate the lasagna - just a guess. If by some chance you remember this next year, I have some suggestions for things that will cook very quickly.

/token vegetarians.
Walter, sorry about that. Next time we should probably compile a list of vegetarian requests ahead of time so we have a better handle on that. We also figured out that the lasagna took way longer to cook on the grill than we estimated, and if the BBQ smoke overpowers the vegetarian meal then it's pretty much a moot point. We served a couple of more lasagna trays, but decided to microwave them instead of cooking them on the grill - still not the greatest solution. If you have suggestions for next year, I'm interested in hearing them.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by buzzword

/token vegetarians.
Me and my girlfriend are also vegetarians but we came in when our numbers were called (340ish) and they had 2 fresh lasagnas out for us. But I do agree about setting more stuff up.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
The Seventh Sister

Car Info: MY04 Forester XT
BTW, we have a few t-shirts that were pre-ordered and for one reason or another did not reach their intended owners. Those of you who pre-ordered a shirt and didn't get it at the event, please pm me with your real name and we will straighten it out asap!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
maybe so. sorry it hurt your wittle eaws....
No reason to respond like a dick. A simple sound check and you would have able to tell the music was loud.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
Great event! I had blast! Loved the location!
Can't wait to go to a SUBIEFEST!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 PM

Car Info: forester
Great event! Looking forward to next year.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
No reason to respond like a dick. A simple sound check and you would have able to tell the music was loud.
You get what you give ese. I love my music loud. Sorry their wittle eaws wuh hurt.. hahahaahahahahahahhahaha
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
You get what you give ese. I love my music loud. Sorry their wittle eaws wuh hurt.. hahahaahahahahahahhahaha
I like my music loud too, but there is also a time and a place. This isn't a Hot Import Nights show.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Car Info: Reason
No need to apologize at all!

I'm thankful that you and Greg even considered the culinary needs of the few herbivores in the group. We usually get stuck eating some kind of terrible, overcooked, tasteless vegetable dish with steamed white rice at group events so the fact that you considered the fact that vegetarians also have functioning tastebuds and discriminating palates means a lot. You two are A+ in my book - forget the haters. The bell curve of feedback seems to indicate that the greater majority of the people enjoyed themselves and ate well.

Originally Posted by pleiad7
Walter, sorry about that. Next time we should probably compile a list of vegetarian requests ahead of time so we have a better handle on that. We also figured out that the lasagna took way longer to cook on the grill than we estimated, and if the BBQ smoke overpowers the vegetarian meal then it's pretty much a moot point. We served a couple of more lasagna trays, but decided to microwave them instead of cooking them on the grill - still not the greatest solution. If you have suggestions for next year, I'm interested in hearing them.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
[moving this to the feedback thread.]

Last edited by macker; 08-10-2011 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Official BAM XI 2011 Thanks, Shout Outs (...and Missed Connections?) Thread