Official: 49ers 2013-2014 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Yea, we can analyze that over and over. It was a presnap read, it was 1v1, and it was the right call.... HOWEVER, given the situation that you haven't aimed at Sherman's direction ALL night, I think the check down was the smarter play.

#1 Patton, sitting on the edge.... with like 10yards off coverage, sure he gets maybe 5-6yards before he gets closed on, but you get another play.

#2 omg I drooled watching the LB spying Kaepernick AND trying to cover Gore... dude is one of them checkdowns I keep crying about. If Kaepernick steps up and freezes the LB, or Kaep tosses the rock off to the side and Gore grabs it, dude is inside the 5, if not in the end zone. So much open real estate there.

#3 Boldin had a TD if it was thrown as a skinny seam/post. Any farther over the safety would have been on him... but he was there in the end zone.

Not trying to be an ******* or devil's advocate because I know Alex Smith wouldn't have had the cannon arm to make deep throws or the legs to get over 100yards scrambling, but Alex would have went to Gore like he goes to Charles all day and Gore would be a bigger part of the offense.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
You're absolutely right. Gore fall off this year not only comes from age but Kaeps lack of check downs. I wish we could have a hybrid Smith/Kaep QB because I really loves ones ability to read defenses and touch while I love the others cannon and legs.

Kaep showed a lot of improvements this year and I hope it continues next season. Another let down like the last two years in critical games and I'm fairly certain half the fan base will be turning on him.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 PM

Technically the Niners overachieved.

First year, didn't think we'd have a shot at the Superbowl, but there we were til Kyle fumbled. (You COULD say if Kaepernick was in the game, he'd beaten the Giants' defense with his legs to win it, just sayin')

Second year, went to the big house, couldn't finish off the comeback. Kaepernick only had half a season of experience. But 2nd year with a QB who had half the games? Tremendous.

Third year, ok, now any other coach would have this year to see if they could limp into the playoffs. Now we're contending, so we're about right. Seahawks had a great year, made a great play.

I think of it as overachieving, look at many of the other headcoaches who took a job on an 8-8 team and still can't crack the on their 3rd year, let alone AFC/NFC Championship games.

Sure, there will probably be the sense of "Dude can't win the big one" but in reality we were there, had the chances, just didn't make the one or two plays necessary. And really all 3 seasons was that *1 or 2* big plays at the end of the game.

Niners got the ***** to go back, they just have to get those one or two big plays. Steve Young had similar issues if you go back to the time the Niners kept losing to the Cowboys.

Not all of this is coaching, sometimes it's players making big plays at the right time, ie Kyle Fumbling/Kaepernick/Sherman/VDavis

Last edited by iLoqin; 01-21-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 PM

If Kaepernick learns to check to a #2, or use his legs to get people open (ala, Wilson) then I think the 49ers offense would be an unstoppable force. Til then, you have that "chance for big play" with his dual threat ability, and his rocket arm.

Still waiting on LaMichael James out of the backfield on plays that he isn't even the target, I know the 49ers create plays for RBs out of the backfield like Bruce Miller, and Kaepernick 90% of the time is aiming at his #1, but once Kaepernick understands there are dudes like James/Gore and Patton who are #3's & #4's, the Niner offense is going to be ****tin' on defenses all day.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM

Car Info: A boxy old brick
I don't go to football games that often I wonder how much the tickets are gonna be for next season at the new stadium. That sucks still I miss that old empty parking lot where the stadium is now. Did so much crap there, I even learned how to drift there. Man my town is gonna get busy because I live right next to it.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by iLoqin
If Kaepernick learns to check to a #2, or use his legs to get people open (ala, Wilson) then I think the 49ers offense would be an unstoppable force. Til then, you have that "chance for big play" with his dual threat ability, and his rocket arm.

Still waiting on LaMichael James out of the backfield on plays that he isn't even the target, I know the 49ers create plays for RBs out of the backfield like Bruce Miller, and Kaepernick 90% of the time is aiming at his #1, but once Kaepernick understands there are dudes like James/Gore and Patton who are #3's & #4's, the Niner offense is going to be ****tin' on defenses all day.
Been saying that since day one. Once he learns to move around IN the pocket and that he can roll out of it without running... and learns to find 2/3/4 looks in one play he's going to be lethal. You can get by without a lot a touch if you can do those other things...
Old 01-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
Our issue is Greg Roman. I thought we were keeping Lamichael James under wraps all season so we could unleash him in playoffs.

How un-imaginative can you be to not design ONE screen play for LMJ? Think of the convoy of all-pro lineman rumbling down blocking for him?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM

Eh, designed RB catches are definitely not in the arsenal of Roman. Sure you see a Bruce Miller out and up every now and again... just the presence of mind to know when something doesn't look good... go somewhere shorter.

Yea, presnap says go here.. but if here all of a sudden doesn't look good, or looks blanketed... go somewhere else? Drew Brees does it all day. I'm not asking for Kaep to be a Drew Brees, but to survive and dump off like Wilson.

IMO Wilson is a better QB than Kaepernick at this point in their careers. Wilson can run, but he has held back and scrambled to hurt with the pass. Reminds me of John Elway back on his Superbowl runs.

Last edited by iLoqin; 01-22-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
So... uh....

Y! SPORTS
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
So... uh....

Y! SPORTS
History of taunting opponents post game. I'll be a proud homer and say he was being passive aggressive.

Brady has been on the receiving end of one of Sherman's trash-talking tirades before. In 2012, after Seattle upset the Patriots, Sherman chased Brady down after the game and then mocked him on Twitter.

He knows how to get a rise out of people. Football has a way of humbling people sooner or later. He'll get his.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 01-23-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM

Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Y! SPORTS

"In a story on MMQB.com, Seattle Seahawks cornerback said the rival San Francisco 49ers — not the Denver Broncos, whom the Seahawks played in Super Bowl XLVIII — were the NFL's second-best team.

Here's the excerpt from the story from Robert Klemko, who spent the night observing Sherman after the Seahawks throttled the Broncos:

He hates to admit it, but says “the NFC Championship was the Super Bowl. The 49ers were the second-best team in the NFL.”

You can take that as more of a slap in the face of the Broncos than it is a cap nod to the 49ers. In talking with Seahawks DB coach Marquand Manuel, he and Sherman talked about how they were "playing chess, not checkers" in the Super Bowl and showed the level of scouting the Broncos took in order to try to beat the Seahawks.

“A good offense that has really studied film and really done its due diligence will see plays that other teams have had success with and install them as a surprise,” Sherman says. “Brandon Browner got beat in Arizona on posts from two outside receivers, and flats from the slot receivers. And they were the only team that ran it. Kam was the safety and he tried to undercut the post and they just banged it in there. Denver had never run it, and they put it in because of Arizona. That’s chess.”

Whatever the name of the game, the 49ers came within a play of beating the Seahawks in their own stadium. The Broncos had no chance on a neutral site.

That doesn't mean Sherman necessarily likes the 49ers. Sherman's rivalry with 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree still burns, although Sherman said his attempt to shake Crabtree's hand was done out of respect.

“I know if I went up to Larry Fitzgerald in that situation,” Sherman says, “he’d have shaken my hand. It’s about respect.”

All it does is add another layer of intrigue to the NFL's best brewing rivalry."
Old 02-03-2014, 10:14 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Thats cool
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 AM

Car Info: should i get brz, bro?
here's an interesting take on the recent harbaugh-9er
drama

Jim Harbaugh Trade Falls Through, Not On Speaking To GM - Business Insider
Old 02-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by sfas69
here's an interesting take on the recent harbaugh-9er
drama

Jim Harbaugh Trade Falls Through, Not On Speaking To GM - Business Insider
When the stadium talks were happening, and York was asking Al Davis to share the stadium for financial reasons... ( Wanted to so badly, but Al Davis ****ed up) I had the thought that it would be financially terrible for the Yorks should the niners get the stadium made, but some how end up in the gutter again.

And if they were to lose/not sign Harbaugh, what would be it.

Baalke, as good as he is, didn't take them to three straight NFC Title games after 8 years of losing records. It was Jim. If anyone in management is going to go, it's going to be the president or GM. Not the HC.

Don't make the mistake we made, and traded our badass coach away. It's the very reason for our demise. Good coaches just don't happen often, and badass coaches are stupid rare. If I was Jed York, i'd make damn sure I got Jim under contract for a long, long time.

But I'm kinda scared for you guys... Jim could very well be gone in 2016, or worse, he'd be a lame duck coach in 2015 if no extension happens. and you KNOW players love him, they would be really pissed. and you guys are not that young of a team... no extension is straight up disaster with such a good roster, club and stadium.

Quick Reply: Official: 49ers 2013-2014 Season Thread