Official: 49ers 2013-2014 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by FXTbrah

The more I look at this, the more I think Kaep made the right decision. It was just a bad under throw.
From the looks of that play, Gore rolled out behind the Defensive Line as the Check Down Receiver (It might have been difficult to get him the ball with the Defender in the throwing lane).

Vernon Davis was under the Defense, but would have had to break at least 2 tackles just to get to the first down being that there were 2 defenders in coverage over him with a 3rd in the area.

Boldin was probably a better choice to throw to for the TD strike as he had already gotten past 2 defenders, had 1 a few yards behind him and the other one was probably a good 5-7 yards off the ball in front of him. That would have been a sufficient throwing window.

Patton was left alone and had zero coverage within 10 yards of him. If you wanted to advance the ball with the possibility of scoring, but definitely giving yourself the best chance to at least pick up another first down that would have been the guy to throw to.

Ultimately, it wasn't a bad play, but Kap tried to force it when he really didn't need to when they were still on first down. He should have done a pump fake to try and pull the defenders or at least tried to look them off. He had 2 other options that were IMO more favorable options with Boldin & Patton. He's still young and learning, but those types of plays are the ones that QB's like Brees & Rodgers will make because they aren't necessarily going to a specific person, but going for the right matchup. He needs to learn a bit more of how to scan for his receivers instead of locking on to only one person.

Heck, Kap could have just tucked the ball and rolled out to the left where he probably would have picked up quite a bit of yardage as well.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Could've fooled me about not being a Seahawk fan. As far as Crabs trying to start a fight with Sherman at Fitzs charity event, the source of that article is *drumroll* Shermans brother.
I guess when you're biased, an objective viewpoint can seem that way.

Originally Posted by flukewrx
Patton was left alone and had zero coverage within 10 yards of him. If you wanted to advance the ball with the possibility of scoring, but definitely giving yourself the best chance to at least pick up another first down that would have been the guy to throw to.

First down, 28 seconds left, and he was on the sideline. That would have been a much better choice especially with how Kaep was avoiding Sherman all game. As people have said though, Kaep seems to get tunnel vision when the pressure is on. As a non-Niners (or Seahawks fan for that matter) I almost think Kaep is one of those QBs who will never be good enough to win it all, but will be good enough to get close and not be replaced for years. One very aggravating place to be.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Car Info: Nadda
There were a couple of elements here

Kaep screwed up a couple times, fumble, int (Underthrow, no touch... no check down, again.)

As for the last drive, he still put the team in a position to win the game.
On that topic, I think he went because the Seahawks were on their heels, big chunks, not using timeouts. I think Kaepernick wanted to flow the momentum. Hell, even I said he should hit the endzone right before that play happens.

Or the other option would be...

Call timeout, about 50seconds left, still have other timeouts to burn. Make sure everyone understands the situation and the right move. Maybe that means NOT going at Sherman, hell, you could have called that play and FLIP so you go after Maxwell instead. Either way, it didn't happen, and I didn't think Kaepernick totally understood the timeouts and possibly going over the middle.

49ers have NEVER, like ever, had any more than 1 timeout in under 2 minutes, so he obviously played the game differently and didn't throw underneath to the open Patton and know he'll still have 3-4 shots to the endzone afterwards.

Last note, if you are a reporter running on the field right at the end of the game, you are going to get emotion in your response. Hence, Sherman spoutin' off. Big rivalry, big attitudes clashing. Sure what he said could be offensive and immature, but right now he's walking the walk.

This just escalates the rivarly, but man it would really suck as a Niner fan let alone the team if Seahawks come back next year with a ring... and Niners got so close 3 different times.

Last edited by iLoqin; 01-20-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Patton looks open but he's not. With Crabtree clearing the fight he probably would have been open if he went across another 5-8 yards to the right. But where he was taking that route and where he was the nickle corner was under him. That's a sure fire pick. He dropped exactly where I would have in that route.

Unless he pumps V.D. The nickel corner was already moving in that direction so even a look in that direction would have moved him out of the way. Boom easy easy T.D. That's the small parts of the position that he just doesn't have yet.

V.D. was an easy reception. More than likely he gets hit and goes down. He'd probably be down around the 8 or 9 yard line. If I remember right they still had about 50 seconds on the clock and 2 TO's.

Gore was covered. I'd say if CK wasn't so locked in on crabtree he could have spun out of the pocket and Gore being the smart back that he is he would have already been breaking to the flat as that's his job on that route. Release. Turn. Flood out to the flats. If CK rolls out and Gore rolls out that's about as easy a T.D. as you're gonna get because the OLB and the Corner were locked on Crabtree. The safety was shading Patton and the middle of the field. At the very least Gore goes out of bounds around the 5 yard line with a first down, 2 TO's and a stopped clock.

Seriously... Crabtree was hands down the worst choice in that route.

That had to be a PERFECT pass. Why take that risk and why go for it all right there. There was plenty of time on the clock and it wasn't that... holy **** that dudes open kind of play. It was a huge risk.

Hindsight 20/20 but that's just not the right pass to go to on that play and it reinforced everything I've said about that dude since he played his first game in the NFL. He's a one look QB.

They've got one more year and they're gonna have to pay him. Next year is their last chance to have a stacked roster with a low cost QB.

After that they're gonna have to choose between some of these high dollar players but they'll probably be able to clear some space if Gore and Boldin go.

Great team. Good QB. Just not there yet. I think the right teams are in the Super Bowl for a change.

Definitely the best of the AFC/NFC.

NO/SF were a toss up for me. SF is a pretty simple read though. Gore gets 100 yards they win. A lot like Seattle. They're built the same. A lot like the great pittsburg and ravens team. Killer defense. Beast mode running game that if they get 100 plus and at least 20 touches you win because you have a ball control offense that can break a play every now and again. Reminds me of the Garcia era niners and the Gannon era Raiders.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I guess when you're biased, an objective viewpoint can seem that way.

First down, 28 seconds left, and he was on the sideline. That would have been a much better choice especially with how Kaep was avoiding Sherman all game. As people have said though, Kaep seems to get tunnel vision when the pressure is on. As a non-Niners (or Seahawks fan for that matter) I almost think Kaep is one of those QBs who will never be good enough to win it all, but will be good enough to get close and not be replaced for years. One very aggravating place to be.
Thought there was a bit more time than that but still... 28 seconds is plenty of time. Take what you can get until you can't get anymore.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by iLoqin
There were a couple of elements here

Kaep screwed up a couple times, fumble, int (Underthrow, no touch... no check down, again.)

As for the last drive, he still put the team in a position to win the game.
On that topic, I think he went because the Seahawks were on their heels, big chunks, not using timeouts. I think Kaepernick wanted to flow the momentum. Hell, even I said he should hit the endzone right before that play happens.

Or the other option would be...

Call timeout, about 50seconds left, still have other timeouts to burn. Make sure everyone understands the situation and the right move. Maybe that means NOT going at Sherman, hell, you could have called that play and FLIP so you go after Maxwell instead. Either way, it didn't happen, and I didn't think Kaepernick totally understood the timeouts and possibly going over the middle.

49ers have NEVER, like ever, had any more than 1 timeout in under 2 minutes, so he obviously played the game differently and didn't throw underneath to the open Patton and know he'll still have 3-4 shots to the endzone afterwards.

Last note, if you are a reporter running on the field right at the end of the game, you are going to get emotion in your response. Hence, Sherman spoutin' off. Big rivalry, big attitudes clashing. Sure what he said could be offensive and immature, but right now he's walking the walk.

This just escalates the rivarly, but man it would really suck as a Niner fan let alone the team if Seahawks come back next year with a ring... and Niners got so close 3 different times.

Agreed. The adrenelin dump is insane at that point in the game.

The players understand it.

And I agree on all points. They had all the momentum. Seattle was playing bend but don't break. It looked like they had a spy on CK just to make sure he didn't smoke them again. They were basically trying to take that away and let the secondary do their job. They did.

Though on that INT... I felt like it was the perfect play call for that part of the field. He had 3/4 options that were sure fire catches. 2 that were possible TD's. 3 if you count how beast mode V.D. gets in that part of the field. And then you had Sherman with help under... he just made a bad choice because he made that choice before they snapped the ball. He as much as said it in the post game. He locked on.

You can see it in the body language of the players if you look right. V.D. didn't finish the route. Boldin was just kind of standing there. Gore was just kind of standing there. Everyone knows what he's gonna do.

If he can develop that pocket presence and get to be a 2/3 read QB he'll be deadly.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Jaworski said that was the right call. It was single coverage. It was an under thrown pass and it was against Sherman. Otherwise that was the right pass to attempt in that situation.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Jaworski said that was the right call. It was single coverage. It was an under thrown pass and it was against Sherman. Otherwise that was the right pass to attempt in that situation.
Jaws is in the minority then. That throw was a bad idea and the result showed why. With 28 seconds remaining, 2 time outs, a open player on in the flat near the sideline, and with the game on the line.... nope.

As far as being "classy", how classy is "Kaepernicking" or all of the **** talking from Boldin on the field.

Sherman just ensured his team goes to the SB and lost his cool in an interview. Suddenly he's the lightening rod for all of the dejected 9er bandwagon fans.

Crabby is a big boy, I'm sure his feelings weren't hurt too bad.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Noticed how I said that Kaepernick got picked off earlier on an underthrown ball by Chancellor. Both picks were underthrown....

I know Kaepernick is a gym rat.... but didn't everyone including us see that that dude has zero touch? I think he should definitely work on that... along with his progression.

Yea, 1v1 coverage, you go. But against Sherman, who wasn't thrown at all game but that holding call... IMO Boldin should have been the target, or a checkdown...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Jaws is in the minority then. That throw was a bad idea and the result showed why. With 28 seconds remaining, 2 time outs, a open player on in the flat near the sideline, and with the game on the line.... nope.

As far as being "classy", how classy is "Kaepernicking" or all of the **** talking from Boldin on the field.

Sherman just ensured his team goes to the SB and lost his cool in an interview. Suddenly he's the lightening rod for all of the dejected 9er bandwagon fans.

Crabby is a big boy, I'm sure his feelings weren't hurt too bad.
This isn't the first time Sherman has lost his cool or tried to continue his antics post game. I'm too busy to go find you videos but there is one of him jawing to Brady after they beat the Pats in Seattle, him getting popped in the mouth post game after talking **** to some redskin player (merriweather maybe?) and also him being a classless **** running over and slapping Harbaugh in the *** after the game. Its pretty clear to anyone watching that this kid has a chip on his shoulder and instead of being happy with the win, he has to bully people to try and up them mentally.

I'm still not seeing how a TD celebration by kissing your bicep or Quan jawing DURING the game is the same as an idiot continuing to run his mouth after the game but please tell me more about dejected 9er bandwagon fans..

Last edited by FXTbrah; 01-21-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Noticed how I said that Kaepernick got picked off earlier on an underthrown ball by Chancellor. Both picks were underthrown....

I know Kaepernick is a gym rat.... but didn't everyone including us see that that dude has zero touch? I think he should definitely work on that... along with his progression.

Yea, 1v1 coverage, you go. But against Sherman, who wasn't thrown at all game but that holding call... IMO Boldin should have been the target, or a checkdown...
The first one was almost a fade route and the second one could've been the same had he thrown the ball near the back hash and only given Crabs a chance to make that play. He needs to work on those.

If you look at the TD to Boldin, you think the kid has accuracy of a sniper but then he makes two horrible plays to end the game. He definitely has to work on getting better at those touch throws.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
General Pimpin'

Seriously. Reminds me of Jeff George. Great arm but he has zero touch.

As for the class thing. It kind of started with Sherman slapping Crabtrees butt. He was stoked... he just sealed the game and the superbowl. He instantly turned around to shake Crabtree's hand... crabtree stiff armed him.

That is probably what set Sherman off and why he went straight at crabtree. Something tells me that for the next few years Crabtree won't be doing very well against Seattle.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Yeah. That's a CK fan boy talking right there.

It was single coverage on the initial read. He had under help. That means that Sherman is free to focus on the ball everyone knows is coming on that play and maybe 3 guys in the NFL can make.

28 seconds... take the flat with a 255 pound TE laid out to get you at least one block. That's a first down. Possibly a TD. Definitely out of bounds. Would still have 20 seconds maybe more on the clock and still have 2 TO's. That means you can still use the middle of the field AND the run game.

They take that play. Stop the clock. Come back with a delayed hand off or a delayed sneak up the middle. I'd bet money they score a TD and win the game.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM
General Pimpin'

Side note. Report came back on the injury. I was right. He blew the MCL and the ACL.

He's in for a long long recovery and he'll more than likely never be the same athlete he was. All the best hope for him. They need to manage this one right. Might take longer but the better they handle it the better player they'll get back... for longer.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Boldin, Whitner Among Notable 49ers Free Agents

Free agency begins this offseason on Mar. 11.

The San Francisco 49ers have several notable contributors set to hit free agency and will have to make hard decisions on how to upgrade the roster heading into 2014. Here’s a look at the team's free agents and their roles on the 49ers from this past season.

Jim Harbaugh is looking at free agency as another way to compete.

"You're back to work, you find other ways to compete," the 49ers coach said. "It's not as enjoyable as it was a week ago. You're not still playing. You're not still competing on the field and getting ready for practice today and tomorrow. But you do find other ways to compete."

Retaining free agents will be a competition of sorts for Harbaugh.

"That's definitely one of the ways," he said. "We'll fight to keep our players... for our players to not be taken away from us. That will be a competitive fight."

Unrestricted Free agents

WR Anquan Boldin
The 11-year veteran receiver recently posted a thank you message to 49ers fans on his verified Twitter account. Boldin, the team's Bill Walsh Award winner as 49ers MVP, expressed his pride in playing for San Francisco in 2013. “I am very proud to call myself a 49er.” Boldin led the team with 85 catches, 1,179 receiving yards and 7 touchdown catches in the regular season. The physical wideout added 16 catches, 227 receiving yards and 1 touchdown catch in the postseason. Boldin was complimented all season for being a mentor to the team’s younger wideouts, including Michael Crabtree and Quinton Patton.

CB Tarell Brown
San Francisco’s former fifth-round draft pick in 2007 started all three playoff games in 2013 after losing his starting job to a late-season rib injury. Brown totaled 32 tackles, 11 pass breakups and one fumble recovery in the regular season. In the playoffs, Brown recorded nine tackles and one pass breakup. Brown made three starts in the playoffs, filling in for veteran cornerback Carlos Rogers, who appeared in one postseason game due to a hamstring injury.

K Phil Dawson
The 15-year veteran kicker was clutch in his first season in the Bay Area. Dawson converted all seven of his field goals in the postseason and made 32 of his 36 field goals in the regular season. The high marks of Dawson’s first year with the 49ers consisted of his game-winning kick in the NFC Wild Card win over Green Bay and his franchise record of 27 consecutive field goals made in between Weeks 5-17.

RB Anthony Dixon
The versatile fourth-year running back was originally a sixth-round draft pick by the 49ers in 2010. Since then, Dixon has become a core special teams player, a short-yardage running back and a reserve fullback. Dixon rushed for three touchdowns in 2013, including a 1-yard touchdown in the NFC Championship game.

C Jonathan Goodwin
For 12 seasons, the 6-foot-3, 318-pound offensive lineman has been one of the most respected players at his position. Goodwin recalled he’s never been flagged for an unsportsmanlike penalty in his career. Goodwin played with grace during his three seasons with San Francisco and said he’s willing to continue his playing career if given the opportunity.

WR Mario Manningham
Following a season-ending injury in 2012, the sixth-year wideout returned to action in Week 10 to catch three passes for 30 yards. Manningham, however, was placed on Injured Reserve following a Week 15 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Manningham caught nine passes for 85 yards in 2013. In two seasons with the 49ers, Manningham played in 18 games, catching 51 passes for 534 yards and had one touchdown catch.

QB Colt McCoy
The 49ers acquired the fourth-year quarterback via trade with the Cleveland Browns. McCoy was rarely used in the regular season. He appeared in four games and completed his only pass attempt of the season for a 13-yard gain.

WR Kassim Osgood
The three-time Pro Bowl special teams ace proved his value to the 49ers throughout his first season in San Francisco. The 11-year veteran receiver was constantly able to beat double-team blocks from his gunner position. In a Week 7 win over the Tennessee Titans, Osgood raced down the field and was in position to recover a fumbled punt for a touchdown in a 31-17 victory.

S Donte Whitner
The hard-hitting safety has expressed his desire to return to the 49ers for a fourth season and beyond. One of the key additions to the team via free agency in 2011, Whitner was key mentor in rookie free safety Eric Reid’s development. Whitner, San Francisco’s physical strong safety, recorded 73 tackles, 12 pass breakups, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery in 2013.

CB Eric Wright
After spending the first 10 weeks of the regular season on the team’s NFI list, the seven-year veteran cornerback played on special teams and on San Francisco’s nickel and dime personnel groupings. Wright, a San Francisco native, recorded the game-sealing interception in a Week 14 home victory over the Seattle Seahawks.

Restricted Free Agents

CB Perrish ***
The third-year cornerback began the 2013 season in San Francisco, was released, signed by Seattle, released again, and then picked up by the 49ers for the postseason stretch run. *** played a key role as San Francisco’s No. 3 cornerback in the team’s Wild Card win over the Green Bay Packers. *** also served a special teams coverage player on the kick-off team and as a backup punt returner.

DT Demarcus Dobbs
San Francisco’s defensive line depth was greatly improved in 2013 thanks to the development of the third-year defensive tackle. Dobbs recorded 14 tackles as part of the 49ers defensive line rotation and he also played a role on San Francisco’s kick-off coverage team.

Exclusive Rights Free Agent

LB Michael Wilhoite
The second-year linebacker made two starts for Patrick Willis in 2013. Wilhoite recorded 34 tackles and one pass breakup on the year. When NaVorro Bowman was injured in the NFC title game, it was Wilhoite who was called into action. The physical linebacker was also a core player on San Francisco’s coverage units.

Quick Reply: Official: 49ers 2013-2014 Season Thread