Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i use only densos
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
but the question is this.... for an extra 2 bucks and oil change is it not better to go with higher quality?

How many motors have you seen damaged due to debris in the oil or poor oil flow? Better safe than sorry I would think.

If your motor is the heart and oil its blood then the cleaner you can have the blood the better. The less blocking its path the better.

I have used fram a couple times but I generally try to go with stock or mobil one. Now I'll be staying away from stock.
That's a hard question to answer; what came first, the chicken or the egg?
#1 engine failure that I see is broken ringlands on the 2.5liter & spun rod bearings on the 2.0liter engines.

Here are my observations:

People are worry about an oil filter, yet bolt on all kinds of go fast parts & a tune on a stock motor.

Hell, the stock engine will fail at stock power output.

And few people are will to pay the true costs associated with quality work/parts.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:16 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by sigma pi
i use only densos
So do I.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
DAMN! i just bought a royal purple oilf filter, has anybody heard anything about those? i mean i payed 14.99 for it, id figure it would be pretty good (sorry dont mean to thread jack )
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
I think I have 2 or 3 black ones left, better restock with some Denso's.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
That's a hard question to answer; what came first, the chicken or the egg?
#1 engine failure that I see is broken ringlands on the 2.5liter & spun rod bearings on the 2.0liter engines.

Here are my observations:

People are worry about an oil filter, yet bolt on all kinds of go fast parts & a tune on a stock motor.

Hell, the stock engine will fail at stock power output.

And few people are will to pay the true costs associated with quality work/parts.
Very true on all observations.

I'm always astonished when people will take short cuts at key spots. I'd rather have fewer parts or take longer to compile them and do it right then have a bunch of crap and have to redo things or start over when my cheap stuff causes expensive stuff to fail. But I guess I learned all that in my honda days. Haaaa. But then again I have 140,000 miles on a mostly stock drive line.

I figure might as well get the good stuff at the base level.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
So do I.
Where can you get those. The filter material looks good.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
here is the response from SOA that I got

Per your request, I have same information which differentiates the new Subaru/Honeywell Oil Filter (made in Canada) p/n: 15208AA12A from various aftermarket competitors:

1) The new Oil Filter (made in Canada) p/n: 15208AA12A is the OEM line installed filter for all 2.5L and 2.5L turbo engines built at Subaru Indiana Automotive. In order to pass Subaru's rigorous test requirements, the new filter's filtration performance and test specifications were designed so that they far exceeded any aftermarket "one-size-fits-all" filter.

2) The filter's pleated media has variable density paper. The variable density improves the filter's ability to trap contaminants. The variable density paper is more expensive than common aftermarket filter paper.

3) The filter's Relief Valve feature allows oil to flow to the engine even if the filter is clogged. The value's torque setting was tuned by Subaru and Honeywell specifically for Subaru engines.

4) The filter's Anti-Drainback Valve is made of silicone. The silicone material is used for optimum performance and sealing to prevent oil from draining out of filter when engine is shut off. In general, aftermarket filters use lesser materials.

5) The filter's external gasket is a molded P-Ring seal design. The P-Ring design provides superior sealing for solid contact between the filter and engine. Many aftermarket filters use a common lathe cut(non-molded/less expensive) gasket for sealing.

I hope this abbreviated explanation clearly shows that the new Subaru Oil Filter is far superior in overall design and materials to lesser aftermarket products.

-Noah
Old 01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
9 to 5 mod

i only do wholesale or else id get you some
Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

not sure they have convinced me yet

-Noah
Old 01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
here is the response from SOA that I got

Per your request, I have same information which differentiates the new Subaru/Honeywell Oil Filter (made in Canada) p/n: 15208AA12A from various aftermarket competitors:

1) The new Oil Filter (made in Canada) p/n: 15208AA12A is the OEM line installed filter for all 2.5L and 2.5L turbo engines built at Subaru Indiana Automotive. In order to pass Subaru's rigorous test requirements, the new filter's filtration performance and test specifications were designed so that they far exceeded any aftermarket "one-size-fits-all" filter.

2) The filter's pleated media has variable density paper. The variable density improves the filter's ability to trap contaminants. The variable density paper is more expensive than common aftermarket filter paper.

3) The filter's Relief Valve feature allows oil to flow to the engine even if the filter is clogged. The value's torque setting was tuned by Subaru and Honeywell specifically for Subaru engines.

4) The filter's Anti-Drainback Valve is made of silicone. The silicone material is used for optimum performance and sealing to prevent oil from draining out of filter when engine is shut off. In general, aftermarket filters use lesser materials.

5) The filter's external gasket is a molded P-Ring seal design. The P-Ring design provides superior sealing for solid contact between the filter and engine. Many aftermarket filters use a common lathe cut(non-molded/less expensive) gasket for sealing.

I hope this abbreviated explanation clearly shows that the new Subaru Oil Filter is far superior in overall design and materials to lesser aftermarket products.

-Noah
what about cardboard endcaps vs metal ones?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX EJ207
thanks for the info guys, but yeah thats what im looking for the black ones, scoobytuner had those but the shipping is 20 bucks..
Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
not sure they have convinced me yet

-Noah
Sounds like a bunch of info fed to them by engineering for just such questions.

did they send any statistical proof/charts to back up the claims?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

oh you didnt know cardboard is superior to metal...blah

I await a better response, or just say it ITS CHEAPER AND THATS WHY WE ARE DOING IT. my $0.02

-Noah
Old 01-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Sounds like a bunch of info fed to them by engineering for just such questions.

did they send any statistical proof/charts to back up the claims?
I was also sent a power point for the filter itself...I'm still not convinced

-Noah

Quick Reply: oem oil filter