Occassional bouts of surging when applying throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 09:00 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
im not sure about your ebc, but when i had the EVC IV, after every mod it would need recalibrating. if this happened after getting an uppipe (a pre turbo flow enhancement) maybe your ebc is having a hard time trying to adjust?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
There's a difference between the RPM-based hesitations that you guys are speaking of and the surging I am talking about. I have had both.

Like you say, the hesitations feel like lost HP. You can see the tach needle skip.

What I have is not so much a loss of power as it feels like blipping of the thottle at high RPM.

jason
Old 10-20-2004, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Bump 'cause I have the same problem!

Originally Posted by mmboost

Every so often when I hit the gas, not a full mashing but not being dainty about it either, I will get this fluctuating surge almost like boost is coming on and off real fast or as thought I was going on and off the throttle real fast. Now I havent seen boost going up and down (although I'd love to datalog sometime). So I really can't pinpoint what's going on.
I can put a steady or steadily increading pressure on the throttle and get this behavior.
I've gotten this on and off for the past 8 or so months, through varying mods. Any ideas?
Could it be timing being pulled? I was wondering, but its not like a lasting effect.
jason
I also have had this problem and it seems to be getting worse. My drivetrain is totally stock and I have almost 50k miles now.

Carlsen Subaru reset my ECU twice in the past and it seems to get better for a while after reset, but then it happens again.

I'm wondering about getting colder plugs since I'm almost to the interval where they get changed... and I don't want to spring for a $600 cobb upgrade!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Lol this thread is da old shiet. Let me give you an update:

I did the grounding mod and it seemed to help a bit. I went to Carlsen and Kevin himself took the Subaru wundergadget to my car. I got a few hesitations in the next day or so, and then they were gone forever... well until the early weeks in learning how to tune my UTEC, heh.

Which month/year did you get your car? Where are you located?

jason
Old 10-20-2004, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
I got my car around April of '02, and Kevin has reset the computer twice.

I just noticed it getting worse during the last few weeks, so I was wondering if anyone found a fix.

I think I'll just reset the ECU every so often and live with it... maybe colder plugs will help.

Lol this thread is da old shiet. Let me give you an update:

I did the grounding mod and it seemed to help a bit. I went to Carlsen and Kevin himself took the Subaru wundergadget to my car. I got a few hesitations in the next day or so, and then they were gone forever... well until the early weeks in learning how to tune my UTEC, heh.

Which month/year did you get your car? Where are you located?

jason
Edit: What subaru wundergadget???????
Old 10-20-2004, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

I got mine like March 30, '02. Never had the problem after going to see Kevin. Just to make sure, the surges I experienced, you could actually see the tachometer jerking around. I know this doesn't solve the problem directly, but maybe some updrages to enginemanagement might help. Get an ECU reflash relevant to your bolton mods and see how it goes. Heck, you might even be able to strike a deal with a local tuner that if it doesn't help the hesitation they'll "unflash" your ECU and refund you. Who knows?

wundergadget = the mysterious little box that Kevin hooks up to your car and uses to work his ECU magic.

jason
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
LMAO!!! STi Filter! AHAHAHAHA! I'll take a K&N and the extra $40+ in my pocket. Just because it says STi, doesn't mean it's the best guys.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by AWD 20T
LMAO!!! STi Filter! AHAHAHAHA! I'll take a K&N and the extra $40+ in my pocket. Just because it says STi, doesn't mean it's the best guys.
ooopsy heh
Old 10-20-2004, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Talking

Originally Posted by AWD 20T
I got the STi filter for $40 from a guy on the boards that didn't want it. Brand new in box. "Better" to me is a dry element filter which the STi is and the K&N is not. I sold the K&N. No more oil based filters for me, thank you.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I got mine like March 30, '02. Never had the problem after going to see Kevin. Just to make sure, the surges I experienced, you could actually see the tachometer jerking around. I know this doesn't solve the problem directly, but maybe some updrages to enginemanagement might help. Get an ECU reflash relevant to your bolton mods and see how it goes. Heck, you might even be able to strike a deal with a local tuner that if it doesn't help the hesitation they'll "unflash" your ECU and refund you. Who knows?

wundergadget = the mysterious little box that Kevin hooks up to your car and uses to work his ECU magic.

jason
Hey - this is funny, I had the exact same thing in my car. Not RPM related at all, but if you are at WOT or near WOT, the car would just sort of hesitate or stutter, and I could see the boost gauge slowly going down as well. I tried all the normal things - grounding mod, Snorkus removal. Those things honestly fixed it for a few weeks, and then it was right back again. I took it to Carlsen and Kevin himself looked at my car. He asked if I had a K&N filter, then attributed everything to the snorkus removal (stupid me admitted it, being honourable and all), said I should never do that and that a K&N will kill my turbo, and sent me on my way. My car made a weird noise a while later (sounded like a screech from the turbo, I think we talked about this too) and I took it in again. Kevin found the 3/16 connector thingy that Ken from Vishnu installed at a Dyno Day, and said it was that which was causing all of problems and I needed to remove it asap - asked about the K&N again and mentioned again that it would kill my turbo (me having just bought some touch-up paint standing there scratching my head remembering all the CAI kits they had for sale AT THE DEALER).

Short story long, I replaced the connector with the stock piece, and my car is like night and day. Kevin was right! Albeit making me feel like my effing tint would void my warranty after the rundown on the filter and snorkus. My car is stock w/ Eibachs and P1's and here I sit wondering WTF people with up-pipes and such do at dealer time... Oh well. Anyway, this has lead me to believe that it's bad juju to mess with Suby's boost control mechanism. My car has been perfect w/ no symptoms for months. Finally it is running right, and now it's time to sell it.

-Jacob
Old 10-20-2004, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
holy ****.. this thread is old, and RESURECTED!

Anyways, I was having the same problem until I relocated my EBC solenoid closer, at the stock location. Everything was fine ... until this week, when, because of the rain, I took the WRX to work instead of my bike... and now I get surging. W T F, over?

Damn it, Jason, come to the Eggettes meet tonight and help me with this!

shadowcat

PS: I have to check the air filter, but other than that, I'm pretty sure everything else is good.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

joe, just suck it up get a utec and a real turbo

jason

p.s. maybe once jon's car is done we'll swing by so he can show off
Old 10-20-2004, 04:21 PM

Car Info: '07 FXT Sport / '96 STiL
I have what I think are the same symptoms on occation, but I believe when it happens, it's my fault. Whenever it happens to me, it's becuase i've been a bit harsh with my clutch engagement. If I reduce throttle and let it settle, or just keep on WOT it works through it pretty quickly. I have always assumed it's due to subaru's infamously oversensitive knock sensor.

Quick Reply: Occassional bouts of surging when applying throttle