Occassional bouts of surging when applying throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 11:41 AM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
i am just saying what i heard. But i was getting the surge when i was completly stock so you never know....
Old 06-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
That's a good deal!

my dumb azz paid $90.

Interesting, I thought the Group N filter was foam, not paper...maybe I'm thinking about the UNI Group N panel....this page lists a Zerosports part.

Originally posted by Keisatsu
got it here

Last edited by Group B; 10-22-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

I noticed these symptoms at first when the car was bone stock.

Originally posted by christoph1371
People often complain that they get "creep" , "bogging", or "hesitation" and blame the ECU. Why is it that these issues are not there when you the car is stock? It's not because of the ECU. I am sure there may be instances when it may be the ecu. however, it's more likely that the aftermarket components introduced to the system is the cause of the malfunctions.

The resistrictor could help the "bogging"/ "surging" sensation. Check out the wastgate lines on your turbo. Follow the line back to the boost controller/solenoid. You will see a little plastic fitting hiden in the line. take that plastic piece out and replace it with a larger diameter fitting.

Chris

Last edited by Group B; 10-22-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:31 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX "Bling Bling" Silver
yea i used 2 get the same surge under wot @ 4-5rpms when i just had an up-pipe.. When i was stock it didnt happen... After i got my helix downpipe the surging seemed to stop...
Old 06-24-2003, 01:39 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
dahveed, what restrictor mod are you referring to? the snorkusectomy?

and did you get the STi Group N filter(which i think is foam and as such needs to be oiled. and as we touched on before, air filter oil is the devil.) or the STi paper filter?

and now that i think about it, how the hell is the STi paper filter any different than anyother paper filter other than the fact that it's ten times the price?

Last edited by Steppin Razor; 06-24-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

I'm talking about the 3/16" restrictor mod.

I did remove the snorkle and the wide flat engine compartment inlet, and installed the RS plug in the inner fender. I only left a small part of the snorkle that bolts to the inner fender, and plugs in to the airbox, to act as a 90* degree adapter to keep getting cold air from inside the fender, and to keep the airbox securely attached to the inner fender

I got the regular STi cotton filter, not the UNI Group N foam panel, nor the Zerosports Group N paper filter.

After I did my snorklectomy, I still had the stock paper filter. I noticed better seat-of-pants performance with the ITG foam panel, for about 10k miles, then I had to have all the oil cleaned out of the MAF and airbox, and had STi filter installed.

The STi cotton panel filter flows more than stock paper, I swear!

Originally posted by Steppin Razor
dahveed, what restrictor mod are you referring to? the snorkusectomy?

and did you get the STi Group N filter(which i think is foam and as such needs to be oiled. and as we touched on before, air filter oil is the devil.) or the STi paper filter?

and now that i think about it, how the hell is the STi paper filter any different than anyother paper filter other than the fact that it's ten times the price?
Old 06-24-2003, 05:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
OK, so I've been reading. Some of this I've heard before, some I haven't. Still no one seems to have a definitive answer...

Some notes:

- this doesnt happen all the time. I have found no real patter or set of circumstances (i.e. cold engine, low fuel, hard run, etc no pattern). The only thing is that it happens when I give it a lazy mashing. That's the only thing that I can recall as consistent.

- I have a Blitz DSBC Spec-R. The silicone hoses that come-with go to reducers which to go short pieces of the stock hoses on both the actuator and compressor outlet. (The factory controller is 100% out of the picture and fully capped off).

- I also have an unmodified, stock ECU

- I noticed the surging before and after getting my uppipe (But I dont recall getting it before exhaust installation and resonator removal... but those were SO Long ago). I also have vishnu IC hoses

- Did to the 3/16" mod a long time ago... but too long to affect anything now.

- I have not yet changed out my air filter. It does seems a bit dirty though. If I do change it, I'd like to get a K&N just so I dont have to replace it ever again. I am vehemently against getting CAIs, but does K&N filters cause any problem? I'm not even thinking of it as a "performance mod", just a time and money saver.

jason
Old 06-24-2003, 09:51 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
jason...

k&n filters themselves do not do damage to your car, but the oil that is in the filter can drip on the...er i forget what sensor it kills... someone else fill in the blank________... but anyways its not good....
Old 06-24-2003, 10:13 PM
VIP Member

If you don't oil the crap out of the filter, your Wazzizcalled should be fine

jason
Old 06-24-2003, 10:20 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Originally posted by mmboost
If you don't oil the crap out of the filter, your Wazzizcalled should be fine

jason

mmm true dat...
Old 06-26-2003, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

Well, I answered some of the question people have in response to my original questions.... any more words of wisdom?

jason
Old 06-26-2003, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Originally posted by shadowcat
mmboost:

I'm getting the same surging. Been trying to figure out why, and all I have in right now is the SBC Spec R EBC.

Kurlee:

Sounds like I've got the problem you were experiencing. What's the restrictor size? Since I didn't do the install, the EBC is mounted a bit far for my taste (rear firewall in the engine bay), and I don't have any of the old hoses or the restrictor. What's the size? Any chance of finding it at an auto supply shop? Where did you install the restrictor?

shadowcat
I used the 1/4" - 3/16" connectors that come with the kit. You can buy extra vacuum connector replacements at Pep Boys.

There is also a lot of info on this same subject in this thread:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...=sbcid+install

Here is a picture of my boost hose setup. Silicone hose - 1/4" - 3/16" connectors - 3/16" stock hose. Sorry about the quality of the picture. I just ran outside and snapped a photo for you in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails Occassional bouts of surging when applying throttle-ebc.jpg  

Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 06-26-2003 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by chanclan
Jason,

I've been noticing the same problem with mine, and it's a bone-stock MY03. Not a good feeling, I wonder if it is some sort of knock-related spark advance compensation...
Have you decided on a course of action yet?

-Greg
I get the same thing on my bone stock 04 wagon with 1300 miles, been getting it since I picked it up. The only thing is, mine only does it with the A/C if I back off slightly on the throttle and then get back into it. I'm talking millimeters here though. It feels like the ecu is pulling at _lot_ of timing if that's what it is.

Quick Reply: Occassional bouts of surging when applying throttle