Obama to tap consumers for emission, mpg standards

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
i'm just as guilty as anyone else on this board as far as messing with emissions go, but you still have to realize that we are *****ing about a luxury. i already feel lucky that i even have a wrx, let alone a subaru, let alone a godam running car. so they take a few hp away. big deal. someone will come along and put that back by circumventing the emissions laws as they stand (like how it is today, because there is a demand for it, as there always will be). so i guess what i'm saying is that we're wasting our breath by even arguing about this. everything will be fine.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by Yin
emissions regulations = communism ??? really?

of course, wire tapping and the patriot act are much less intrusive to civilian privacy . not to mention a color-coded flash card system that tells us how frightened we should be of foreigners.
Basically... Because of these emissions standards... we're going to be forced to buy a particular vehicle. Hence, we are indirectly forced to buy something we all don't want and our freedom to buy whatever car we want is gone
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Ultimately there's a better solution than government intervention...

I know a few people have mentioned this before, but if they want to save the environment, the most sensible way of doing so is economics. I think it's better to just jack up gas prices like say $4-5 per gallon. That way, people that want to save money will buy a more fuel efficient car and people that are willing to pay the extra money for a performance car can and will. Oh wait, this is already happening...

By putting a price floor on gas, it'll allow people who don't really care about getting a performance car to buy a fuel efficient car and people who are willing to pay the extra $$$ to pay the price at the pump.

And by enforcing this ridiculous emission standard, it'll put a lot of car companies out of business, a lot of small tuner shops out of business and countless more industries and businesses

This doesn't make any sense to put emissions standards when there's much more efficient ways of reducing pollution
Old 05-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Yin

Originally Posted by chinoyboi
Basically... Because of these emissions standards... we're going to be forced to buy a particular vehicle. Hence, we are indirectly forced to buy something we all don't want and our freedom to buy whatever car we want is gone
then the same can be said about the present time. we already have high emissions standards compared to other states and countries, so it's pretty commie already by not offering higher emissions cars in the states. just as an example, they didnt offer the 22b here. so are we being oppressed of that? as if we are entitled to any car (any thing for that matter) we want... cmon lets take a step back and see what we're getting upset about. we get to buy whatever car we want out of privelege, not in the political sense of the term "freedom", which we are taking for granted by even starting a thread like this where entitlement goes unnoticed.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:08 PM

Car Info: RWD Camry
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
Ultimately there's a better solution than government intervention...

I know a few people have mentioned this before, but if they want to save the environment, the most sensible way of doing so is economics. I think it's better to just jack up gas prices like say $4-5 per gallon. That way, people that want to save money will buy a more fuel efficient car and people that are willing to pay the extra money for a performance car can and will. Oh wait, this is already happening...
Lol, that is a pretty radical idea. Jacking gas prices up doesn't make people buy more fuel efficient cars. Yes, there probably was an increase in hybrids being bought, but it doesn't directly solve the problem.

Those with suv's and low mpg cars wil just find other ways of saving money, in a way merely circumventing the emissions problem. In fact, in the short run, buying a hybrid is really trivial, if your situation doesn't allow for a(another) new car- then the savings at the pump would be negated.

By putting a price floor on gas, it'll allow people who don't really care about getting a performance car to buy a fuel efficient car and people who are willing to pay the extra $$$ to pay the price at the pump.
Again, seems like more of a bandaid. Remember, not all low mpg cars are performance cars.

And by enforcing this ridiculous emission standard, it'll put a lot of car companies out of business, a lot of small tuner shops out of business and countless more industries and businesses
Business is business. Business owners practically sign an invisible waiver, claiming that if their business should fall through, then thats that. That's what capitalism is right? Only the strongest (and most in demand) will survive. If companies like GM or Chrysler cannot provide what the consumers demand, then wouldn't it be fair to "weed" them out?

Though, I hate the idea of people losing jobs as much as you.

This doesn't make any sense to put emissions standards when there's much more efficient ways of reducing pollution
Yeah, there are much more efficient ways to reduce pollution. We just haven't found it or been able to implement it yet.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
i Just got 19mpg on my full tank.

record high so far...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 AM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
They could also tax you if you go over a certian mileage if your car gets less than 35 mpg. This way people won't drive their SUV so often if they have to pay an extra tax. So the people who want a performance car for pleasure can still have one since they won't be driving it as often and thus won't be polluting as much and the cars that are driven a lot would be better on gas since people would want to avoid the tax. A clause on your yearly income could be added so people whop can not afford a 35mpg car and have to drive their car with bad gas mileage won't get screwed. This is just an idea that might not even be plausible
Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by woocabin
i Just got 19mpg on my full tank.

record high so far...
In the 3 years I owned my WRX, that is around what I would get. After hearing stories of people getting 25+ even close to 30mpg I tried a few experiments and used cruise on road trips, etc and could never get above 22. Same deal with my R32, people would claim 30+ mpg but even with cruise set and traveling back/forth between SF and Gilroy @ 60mph on the weekend w/ no traffic I never saw more than 24. My 1.8L 2100lb Toyota gets around 32mpg if I try really hard - usually it's closer to 27-29mpg. If I drove my WRX hard I would get around 10-15mpg. Hearing about modded/tuned WRXs getting 25+ mpg is sort of funny.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
^ have a full built 2.5 in my wrx and I can get over 27mpg on the freeway... and about 19mpg city
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
^ have a full built 2.5 in my wrx and I can get over 27mpg on the freeway... and about 19mpg city
Yeah I saw you post something like that. No big deal and not trying to start an argument, but I don't believe it. Sorry.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yeah I saw you post something like that. No big deal and not trying to start an argument, but I don't believe it. Sorry.
I always hit 28MPG on my 06 wagon during freeway driving. So it is possible with avoiding angry passing and keep the RPM around 3K.

Stock turbo, T.B.E., basic (non-dyno) tune, STI TMIC, light foot.

Last edited by matthepcat; 05-20-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Yin

fully built is a different story though.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by matthepcat
I always hit 28MPG on my 06 wagon during freeway driving. So it is possible with avoiding angry passing and keep the RPM around 3K.

Stock turbo, T.B.E., basic (non-dyno) tune, STI TMIC, light foot.
Look - it's pretty easy to figure this out and get a rough number - especially if you gas up at the same place every time. Fill up to the same level - use one pump click as your limit to keep the fuel level close to the same every time, use the same pump, park the same way preferably on level ground - after a few fillups, start noting the miles used for a given amount of fuel, and divide your miles driven by the number of gallons used to travel that distance and you come up with a fairly close mpg figure. Average those for a while, and you will come up with a pretty close average mpg for your car.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
as much as i love fuel powered cars... i would not mind driving a ZAP Alias:

100hp per wheel (3 wheels) with wheel hub electric motors on each wheel to reduce power loss by having the motor built in directly to the wheel.

and it costs about 42 cents to go 100 miles.
now we just need a stronger electric fueling infrastructure.

this car has been designed by Lotus engineers for ZAP.

Or the ZAP X

640hp all wheel drive 100% electric. 350 mile range on a single charge.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by wombatsauce

Well you should, why would I like about that? Like honestly..