NRG Gas Hood Dampers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by stylin525
do nrg rust less than the teins? Im lookin to get a pair, but not after seeing stylins post.
I haven't seen many complaints on the Tein ones. As Stylin's posted the Tein's are cheaper.

I judge many car shows down here in so cal, and I have seen both brands.

What I can tell you is the rust is common for the NRG, not the Tein.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
I still don't get the honda comments. nothing wrong with owning a honda. good cars imo. if you're saying that honda = rice then it's safe to say subaru = rice. I've seen a few riced out subies. hell I even saw one with neons at the uckk meets a while back.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I've been able to get Tein dampers for $130 for a LONG time.

Shoot I saw them at that price long before I ever heard of NRG.

There are a lot of companies making dampers now...like redline. Lower cost,etc.

They don't lower to eliminate the little guys they lower because the little guys are there and less people are willing to pay there over inflated prices. They can afford to lower prices because their prices are over inflated. Get what you can while you can. The best of the best don't lower prices....like prova. Because it's a certain market that buys they're product...they'd rather sell one at a huge price and have that reputation than 5 at a lower price and loose that reputation. It would be like BMW lowering they're prices so they could compete with honda...why....different market.

But just like anything else...just because it cost less doesn't mean it has the right to be ****ty quality. It's not like the NRG product cost $50 on ebay.

Tein changed their focus. They started making more products and lowering prices...they changed their market attention. Anyone that was running tein before it was so widely available knows that.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
I still don't get the honda comments. nothing wrong with owning a honda. good cars imo. if you're saying that honda = rice then it's safe to say subaru = rice. I've seen a few riced out subies. hell I even saw one with neons at the uckk meets a while back.
the honda comment was because of what it says next to his profile.

As for rice...I used to drive a honda, I have no issues with them. I tried to talk my fiance' into an si instead of her ****ty golf.

If the rust is common on a $150 product then something needs to be addressed at NRG. It's obvious their materials are not a high enough quality to be competing with someone like tein. So more threads like this NEED to be posted so people are made aware of the issue as are the folks at NRG.

Damn....so sick of this bull****. This forum is getting to be a joke. Everything has to be drama. Someone just has to stick in a comment for the sole purpuse of starting drama.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
See what NRG says, but you live in Humboldt. You're on the water, you have salty fog, it's like the worst environment to cause surface rust.

It looks like the spring clip and the replacement fender bolt are what's rusting for the most part. It looks like surface corrosion on the fender and will probably buff off. The Teins come with a surface lube that prevents corrosion as well as wear, did the NRG's come with anything?

I've had Tein's on my car for over 3 years; after being parked outside for a few years, I did get some really light oxidation at the base of the fender bolt that went away with a bit of CLR. Anything parked outside and exposed to elements is going to suffer the same fate, and sea air will make it that much worse. Why not remove the damper, pull the bolt, scrub it down, and reinstall? Seems like normal maintenance for unpainted parts.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
If the rust is common on a $150 product then something needs to be addressed at NRG. It's obvious their materials are not a high enough quality to be competing with someone like tein. So more threads like this NEED to be posted so people are made aware of the issue as are the folks at NRG.
i agree completely
Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 06 GDB dirty white
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
the wrx is becomming the new civic and evos are becomming integs.... =/
Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
TO THE op, yours just started rusting? i'm not sure who you bought it from but it looks like you bought the old batch. the problem has been fixed with ss parts.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthre...D+DAMPERS+RUST
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by sybir
See what NRG says, but you live in Humboldt. You're on the water, you have salty fog, it's like the worst environment to cause surface rust.
Yeah nothing else rusts here but these dampers...... Eureka doesn't have a rust issue. Good try. Our climate is too mild. And I am inland a bit.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
its simple business, cut costs to increase profits, then price your product more than the cometition so people fall for the "more expensive is more better" theory
Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 AM

I just can't believe SoCal (LifePlaza and Sigma) have to come here just to talk shiot. This is about my RUSTY hood dampers on my STi that shouldn't have rusted, period. Why don't you guys go fawk yourselfs (it's obviousl you like chicks w/richards from all the pics youpost). I hope to one day meet both of you at a meet or a track day.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by BLITZSTI
TO THE op, yours just started rusting? i'm not sure who you bought it from but it looks like you bought the old batch. the problem has been fixed with ss parts.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthre...D+DAMPERS+RUST
see this is the kind of post needed in threads like this... +1 to you.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
I just can't believe SoCal (LifePlaza and Sigma) have to come here just to talk shiot. This is about my RUSTY hood dampers on my STi that shouldn't have rusted, period. Why don't you guys go fawk yourselfs (it's obviousl you like chicks w/richards from all the pics youpost). I hope to one day meet both of you at a meet or a track day.

I don't see how this post is related to you issue with the NRG hood dampers. We offered opinions and advice. Why else did you post a thread about it?

And if you really want to meet either one of us I'll be up in SF in August and after I'll be up in Monterey for a SCCA event Oct 15-22.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:07 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by STiYLIN
please quit dodging the swear fitler

blitz is from so cal

and i have said before i agree they shouldn't have rusted

edit: we are having a track day at the end of the month memorial day weekend come on down

Last edited by sigma pi; 05-16-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
please quit dodging the swear fitler

No.

Seriously you have talked mad shlt to me many times. I am tired of being harrased by a mod. If I could set you to ignore I would. Stop replying to my threads. I am seriously going to complain to the site owner. A LOT of us NorCal guys feel the same way Sigma, so it's not just me..

Quick Reply: NRG Gas Hood Dampers