NRG Carbon Fiber Racing Seats? UPDATE!! I GOT A SPARCO INSTEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
Originally Posted by psoper
do they have any kind of safety rating? SFI? FIA? DOT?

"Racing seats" that aren't certified are akin to cheesy body kits, if that's you're style, well- what can I say...
rice this rice that... image is nothing..

but i do want to know the same thing.. are they approved for any type of motorsport? or strictly Gran Turismo?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:40 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by Subyusmcguy
I know but I meant like full recline. Also its better to sit upright if ur gonna be driving fast.
Gotcha.

Full upright isn't how I like to sit. All my previous race cars have had the seat at a slight tilt rearward. If I was a navigator it was almost laid out. That's how I like to roll.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by papakiet
rice this rice that... image is nothing..

but i do want to know the same thing.. are they approved for any type of motorsport? or strictly Gran Turismo?
There doesn't appear to be a certification sticker anywhere on that and I can't find anything online.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
ima buy a pair for when i set up my GT5 room but don't think i'll ever get it for my car.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kspek
ima buy a pair for when i set up my GT5 room but don't think i'll ever get it for my car.
why don't you just get a playseat...its cheaper, comes in a variety of colors, and has a stand for your wheel!

btw..it's not really a video.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:53 PM

or just get on of those for you car if the NRG isn't certified for race use
Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by psoper
do they have any kind of safety rating? SFI? FIA? DOT?

"Racing seats" that aren't certified are akin to cheesy body kits, if that's you're style, well- what can I say...
Says FIA certified.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
NRG isn't crazy like Recaro or Bride.
I'd say for brand-whoredness, they are right either alongside sparco, or slightly below them. They make some ok stuff.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:24 PM

This is the top model seat they make and it's very legit. It's far more sturdy then lets say the stock 2.5RS seats from the GC8 models. It has a metal interior frame, and carbon rear hatch, the only thing that I wouldn't trust is the base that connects the seat to the floor, but no problem there since I'm using a SUPER hefty custom recaro seat mount. I feel so much safer in these seats then I do the stock seats. Seats that hug you and keep you in place have a huge advantage over large wide seats that do little of holding you in place.

This seat is not only strong as hell (sturdy), but the bolsters keep you snug and in place much better then stock... The only possible weak point has been taken care of by using recaro rails that have been strengthened using steel, thanks to Tommy from GST for his amazing welding skills.

I'd be far more afraid of crashing in stock RS seats then in this seat. I guess you have to sit in it to understand. The guy I know that has one raves about it, he's had it for a year in his daily driver and its still in perfect condition.

I know that brand makes some lower end seats that run for under $200, but what do you expect for $200? This seat is in the same price range as the recaro SRD I had, only Recaro has a huge name and can sell their stuff for far much more money.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by yayitzian
NRG isn't crazy like Recaro or Bride.
I'd say for brand-whoredness, they are right either alongside sparco, or slightly below them. They make some ok stuff.
Funny you should say that, someone told me that they were on par with Sparco... I was looking into BRIDE, but they are far too small and expensive for me... Recaro's are far too expensive if you want something that fits someone like me... There's no way I'm going to spend $2000 on ONE seat cuz it fits bigger people. The JDM recaro SRD I had, I sold for $600 which was close to what I paid even though some places sell the same seat for $850. Its all about name with Recaro.

When Im done with this seat and mount it using the godzilla monster mounts/rails, it's going to be a beast!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Ah, if you addressed the rails with beefier mounts, well, sh*t, you got yourself a killer deal. I think that's about the only gripe people had about those seats, I suppose. I was just curious about NRG seats wondering why they have one really good seat and the rest of the catalog of seats are pure crap.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hollandaze
Ah, if you addressed the rails with beefier mounts, well, sh*t, you got yourself a killer deal. I think that's about the only gripe people had about those seats, I suppose. I was just curious about NRG seats wondering why they have one really good seat and the rest of the catalog of seats are pure crap.
The standard recaro mount/rails are already really tough to begin with and cost $200 ALONE. I then had Tommy do his magic and re-enforce the rails and mounts with extra metal with VERY beefy welds.

The seat itself is VERY strong because it's metal and carbon fiber, much stronger then standard car seats, like my old 2.5RS seats (which I keep using for example). The only good thing about the stock seats is the mounts that keep the seat firmly planted, but my rails aren't just as good as stock, they are much stronger then stock from Recaro, and then even STRONGER after GST is done with them.

I'm really looking forward to owning this seat... It feels sooo much better then the Recaro SRD. Actually, the Recaro SRD is pretty similar to the stock STi V5 seats, only a little more bolstering and are a lot lower.

I'm going to be selling my recaro sports for $600 for both sides (The recaro sports are Subaru STi V5 seats that are in great shape and are direct bolt ins, the entire swap takes about 40mins for someone who doesn't know anything about seats. The seats match WRX interior, but not STi interior. I'd keep these seats but I'm too tall for them and my neck is above the head line, so if I get in an accident, I'll break my neck! These are great for people under 6'3. I'm going to shampoo the seats so they look almost brand new, so $600 and they are yours! Remember, these are true Recaro Sport seats, only they are covered in STi material (Cloth and alacantera (suede-like stuff). They are at least 10x better then any stock USDM seat and will increase your handling ability by 10 fold, it's like going from stock suspension to coil overs! The reason the car will handle better is because the seats hug you so that you don't move AT ALL. Where ever the car goes, you go, no mods sliding around, holding onto the steering wheel... You just sit and throw the car sideways and you stay planted perfectly. If you've never sat in a good seat, you're missing out BIG TIME!!!! For $600, it's a STEAL considering that you can't get a recaro sport for under $800 for just the seat, not including the $200 rails for EACH SIDE!!!

Cliff notes:

The seat I'm getting is really awesome, it's metal with carbon fiber shell covered in high quality cloth and some strange heavy duty material on the contact points, the only weak spot, if you want to call it that was the mount that mated the seat to the car, but I'm using real RECARO mounts that have been beefed up by GST motorsports, so not only am I using better mounts, I'm using mounts that would hold a dinosaur. The rep said they are FIA certified (That particular seat).

Because I no longer need my current Recaro Sports (STi V5 seats), I will be selling the pair which includes all the mounting hardware for a mere $600!!! The seats are in great condition and I'll even shampoo them for you. This price is unheard of, you can't even get a single recaro sport with standard cloth for under $800, and thats without the $200 rails to mount the seat! If that wasn't good enough, then you get TWO of them! They are direct bolt in seats and can be installed in less then 30 mins by a single person. The seats will improve your handling more than anything else you can do to your car. Far better then getting coil overs, and if you dont believe me, then try out a stock car Vs a car that has aggressive seats like these V5 STi seats (JDM). Not only will your car handle 10x better, but it will look great having the pair inside of the cab. You can have BOTH seats with all hardware for $600. I'll even help you install them if you need me to! So a recap, Two recaro sport seats with STi v5 material (cloth and alacantera, which is like suede) with the rails and everything for $600!!!!

Just the recaro rail I bought for ONE seat was $200, and that doesn't include custom fab work!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 PM

BTW, Here's a pic of one of the two seats, you can clearly see how aggressive the bolstering is which is what keeps you planted and makes the car handle so much nicer.

The black seat next to it is a $900 Recaro SRD seat, with rails it's $1100. You can see that the STi V5 seat is comparable in terms of bolstering with how aggressive it is, and instead of paying $1100 for a seat, you pay $300 for a complete seat with rails.

Look how pathetic the USDM seat looks next to the SRD and the V5 STi seat!

So if you want to upgrade your car with one of the best upgrades you can possibly do to your car handling-wise, this is the route to go. I can't believe I'm selling them for $600 after I got them for $1250 from Mike Shields a while back, but i need the money.

Come on, I know someone wants to upgrade their crappy stock seats. These seats will fit into ANY modern subaru model, from forester to imrpeza. When I say modern, I mean 93 and up. The seats also sit a bit lower for lower center of gravity.

PM me if you're interested
Old 06-17-2009, 12:32 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
If I had the cash, I'd totally get those Recaros. Seriously for two? $600?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hollandaze
If I had the cash, I'd totally get those Recaros. Seriously for two? $600?
Yep, you heard right... Both Recaro Sports (STi V5 seats) for $600. I need the money ASAP.

Quick Reply: NRG Carbon Fiber Racing Seats? UPDATE!! I GOT A SPARCO INSTEAD!