NRG Carbon Fiber Racing Seats? UPDATE!! I GOT A SPARCO INSTEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Thumbs up NRG Carbon Fiber Racing Seats? UPDATE!! I GOT A SPARCO INSTEAD!

UPDATE!

After spending about 15mins with the N R G carbon fiber seats, I decided that they are NOT for me. Instead, I spent an extra $150 and upgraded to a SPARCO EVO 2, which is an amazingly well put together seat, leaps and bounds above the N R G seat I was going to get, it fits me like a glove, absolutely perfect! The customization with the seat is GREAT, you can adjust the pads and where they go, extend the end of the seat (pad) and such. It's just an amazing seat and I'm glad I finally ended up with the seat I've been looking for all this time. This makes 6 seats now, and this one is a keeper!

Mine is black. So much support for your back and fits so nicely!

If you look at the padding and stuff you can see how comfortable and supportive these are.

I told myself that I'd never get a fixed bucket seat because I needed to be able to recline, but then I thought about it, the only time I ever recline is to get things in and out of my car, having sat in this seat that was mounted in a car for about 30 mins (drove around), I found that it's perfectly reclined already and there is some adjustment from the rails, and you can slide back and forth. It's a GREAT seat and I'm really excited and finally, FINALLY happy to have a seat that fits me perfectly!

(Difference between the EVO 1, 2, and 3 is the size. 1 is small, 2 is large, and 3 is extra large.

Last edited by brucelee; 06-18-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
Sounds nice. I heard of NRG a long time ago. Bought some of their parts around '99 I think.
Where did you try the seat? And what's the cost on that bad boy?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Car Info: '08 SpecB
Oh, and I think the parts I bought were a steering wheel hub adapter and some pedals I think So no valuable input on their seats.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Well, I guess they are pretty damn good, they just don't have a huge *** name like Recaro, etc. They also make cool stuff like steering wheels, guages, and other performance parts.

I couldn't help it, I am now the proud owner of a carbon fiber NRG racing seat!!! It's so much better then previous seats I've bought... Kicks the crap out of my V5 STi seats, and those seats are better then the modern day Spec C seats that come in the newest.

I got it from Modacar, paid $450 for the seat which includes the mounting hardware, and best of all, no shipping cuz they are local! I think after tax and everythng was set to go, it was just under $500. I really wanted a recaro, but I couldn't find one that fit ne that well, not like this seat!

Since its a real racing seat, it's soooo low to the groind its not even funny! lol Perfect for me.... ahhaha

I gotta wait 3 days to get it through. I tested it out at my friend's house who uses it for Gran Turismo after he totalled his MR2 turbo. He bought a truck and now uses the seat for a video game. I asked him what seat it was, did some research and found it at modacar.

Last edited by brucelee; 06-16-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
man! I've been looking for someone with this seat. I've been eye f***in it for a while now. maybe I'll have to get one now. oh but one question I have.. I usually fairly upright, is this seat really really upright? my gf's gonna hate it when i get a pair of these!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
only experience i have of nrg is quick release steering wheel hubs...siick lookin seat tho
Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM

Car Info: STi 07
I had some NRG in my civic hatch a couple of years ago, they are comfortable and hug your body while you drive. Only negative is that they dont recline.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by Subyusmcguy
I had some NRG in my civic hatch a couple of years ago, they are comfortable and hug your body while you drive. Only negative is that they dont recline.
They do recline. It's all in how you mount it. Unless you mean like a normal car seat, then no... they don't. You don't have to mount them straight up, either.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Car Info: STi 07
Originally Posted by Unit 91
They do recline. It's all in how you mount it. Unless you mean like a normal car seat, then no... they don't. You don't have to mount them straight up, either.
I know but I meant like full recline. Also its better to sit upright if ur gonna be driving fast.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Car Info: wrx02
http://my350z.com/forum/body-interio...t-pricing.html

Found better deal here if you are getting two. I have no association with any vendor. Bruce, write a review after you put some sit time it. I might have to get a pair since they are really affordable.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
I got curious about this company and I ended up reading around about the NRG reclinable seats. Google helped me stumble upon a honda-tech.com forum where some people posted their experience with other NRG seats. Not too hot. They talked about crappy welds, being wobbly, and what not. I'm wondering if the c/f seat you bought's build quality didn't suffer from the quality issues with their other $200 seats.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2352973
Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
in the bay area, memoryfab sells some similar seats and various mugen or spoon copies. i think they're in the hayward area. and i believe it's f1spec on the peninsula... same deal with the knockoffs. however, the alcantara on the nrg looks much nicer than the materials from the other cos.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
one question...

do they have any kind of safety rating? SFI? FIA? DOT?

"Racing seats" that aren't certified are akin to cheesy body kits, if that's you're style, well- what can I say...
Old 06-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Shops cars: 07 STI & 07 Lotus Exige S
oops..
Old 06-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
You might want to try Memory Fab before you get those seats... They are here in the bay area too and they have either a street or track version.

NRG is more for the Honda crowd from what I've seen at McCarthy Square. Just about every riced out Honda has NRG's...

Quick Reply: NRG Carbon Fiber Racing Seats? UPDATE!! I GOT A SPARCO INSTEAD!