Not good Subaru.... not good.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Most people refer to it as Timing Chain slap. My wife's 12 Forester does it to. My Mom's 09 is getting there, but it also has 100,000 miles on it.
It's more the new ones. Sound like isht! I thought something was wrong until I listened to a few more. They're all like that. Just sounds ugly.

Your legacy sounded like that too a bit. I was always like.. man this thing is loud!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
Originally Posted by markyboi
as a 2011 owner...I'm not surprised with the results.

Don't get me wrong ,my car has been reliable, but a lot of minor things that should not be a problem on newer cars, have been a problem (rattles mainly). My 240 had less rattles/noises than this thing has
I no has rattles on my 08 impreza. maybe you just had a sour grape of the bunch? Sorry bout rambling lol. realistically all new cars are crap for the small stuff. From what ive seen all car manufacturers are putting their car with the cheapest parts (quality.and cost) possible. ive seen new cars at my work with oil residue.under the tranny at 20k-25k. the tranny leaks ive seen are from ford focus and ford fiestas mainly sometimes a couple.of hyundais and honda and even toyotas. hell even lexus,bmw, and mercedes have the big and small stuff. Cars these days are a hit and miss. I think the reasoning is because a car cant go 8 years without a new body type like back in the days so engineers are just rushed to put together what they can.

my two cents, sorry if i rambled or if i offended anyone in the process. that was not.my.intent.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 2011 swp wrx 5dr
not offended.

Just posting from personal experience and online research. Some rattles on 08+ that are well documented online:

A pillar squeek/rattle
dash rattle
door card rattle
tonneau cover creak
clock on the dash rattle
drivetrain thumps

A lot of owners have posted fixes for these. Although they are easily fixed (foam weatherstripping/aftermarket parts), I am just disappointed with these noises for a fairly new car (My wife calls the rattles arthritis). It seems like when I fix one rattle, I hear another new one.

Oh, btw, I dropped of my car earlier at the dealership because of a glovebox rattle. Apparently the clip that holds the glovebox damper just decided to break, causing my glovebox to "slam" down when I open it.

My car is well maintained too. Garage kept and parked in a covered spot at work, yet the plastics are "falling apart"
Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
Originally Posted by markyboi
not offended.

Just posting from personal experience and online research. Some rattles on 08+ that are well documented online:

A pillar squeek/rattle
dash rattle
door card rattle
tonneau cover creak
clock on the dash rattle
drivetrain thumps

A lot of owners have posted fixes for these. Although they are easily fixed (foam weatherstripping/aftermarket parts), I am just disappointed with these noises for a fairly new car (My wife calls the rattles arthritis). It seems like when I fix one rattle, I hear another new one.

Oh, btw, I dropped of my car earlier at the dealership because of a glovebox rattle. Apparently the clip that holds the glovebox damper just decided to break, causing my glovebox to "slam" down when I open it.

My car is well maintained too. Garage kept and parked in a covered spot at work, yet the plastics are "falling apart"

Damn that many rattles? I guess im lucky with.my 08 2.5i! So far to date ive only had the cel for p0420. a door ding or two and apparently a hood ding from some bird droppig something. hmmm oh and of course someone dinged my rear bumper from parking behind me. other then that ive had luck on.my side. hope the rattles come to a stop for you bro!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
^^^my buddy had an 08 2.5i and he had the p0420 code right before the warranty expired...he got the cat replaced for free and has had no problems since

And about the new motors sounding like garbage, my brothers 3.6r ticks like crazy...almost rod knock loud but its braand new
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
No every car company needs to be like Nissan

If every car sounded like an RB20 I would cream myself all day.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
having rattles is part of owning a Subaru, get used to it.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by slugrx
^^^my buddy had an 08 2.5i and he had the p0420 code right before the warranty expired...he got the cat replaced for free and has had no problems since

And about the new motors sounding like garbage, my brothers 3.6r ticks like crazy...almost rod knock loud but its braand new
That's how ours is. It's loud as hell. 100% dealer maintained. 100% synthetic. Just about to turn 1 year old.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Need to fix rattles? Modify your exhaust. Rattles fixed!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That's how ours is. It's loud as hell. 100% dealer maintained. 100% synthetic. Just about to turn 1 year old.
We just had our first oil change in Dawn's. It's weird waiting till 7500 miles. But it quiets somewhat after the initial warm up.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Need to fix rattles? Modify your exhaust. Rattles fixed!
i lol'd
Old 06-22-2012, 02:43 PM
General Pimpin'

We just had our first oil change in Dawn's. It's weird waiting till 7500 miles. But it quiets somewhat after the initial warm up.
I know... it's like a tire rotation at every oil change...

And it's quiet now... you think. Just wait. It gets louder. Megan's is at like 22k now. It does get quieter but you're moving... if you get out and listen to it idle it's still pretty loud.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I know... it's like a tire rotation at every oil change...

And it's quiet now... you think. Just wait. It gets louder. Megan's is at like 22k now. It does get quieter but you're moving... if you get out and listen to it idle it's still pretty loud.
I think I read something about them placing something around the area of the timing chain on newer models to reduce the loudness. Could be a load of crap, something to listen for.

Dang I forgot to rotate the tires. I doubt the dealership did it since it isn't through Subaru.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2011 swp wrx 5dr
Originally Posted by imprezachiang
Damn that many rattles? I guess im lucky with.my 08 2.5i! So far to date ive only had the cel for p0420. a door ding or two and apparently a hood ding from some bird droppig something. hmmm oh and of course someone dinged my rear bumper from parking behind me. other then that ive had luck on.my side. hope the rattles come to a stop for you bro!
took care most of it.

drivetrain thump. fixed (diff inserts, group N tranny mount)
A pillar creak (home depot weather stripping between pillar and dash)
door card rattle (home depot weather stripping)
tonneau cover (adhesive felt strip - dealer)
also had a rattle coming from the engine bay (found out that the nut holding the airbox came loose)

a few guys that I met with the 3g (2011 STI, 2012 WRX, 2008 WRX,etc) had the same problems as me...I took the car to the dealer before for the a pillars, door card and engine bay rattle...they refused to fix it (but that's another story)..
Old 06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
General Pimpin'

I think I read something about them placing something around the area of the timing chain on newer models to reduce the loudness. Could be a load of crap, something to listen for.

Dang I forgot to rotate the tires. I doubt the dealership did it since it isn't through Subaru.
I think yours has it. I remember hearing that too. Could be the difference between ours and yours. If it is I'm gonna ask them to install one. LOL!

Quick Reply: Not good Subaru.... not good.