North Bay smog check

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
Question North Bay smog check

I recently moved to Marin county from out of state with my 2004 WRX wagon. In the process of trying to register it in CA, I discovered I needed to get a smog check cert.
I spent some time searching previous threads, but I didn't really find satisfactory answers to the following questions. I had a Cobb catted turboback installed before I moved here and I'm running the 91octane AccessPort map. Should I be worried about passing? Would it make any difference if I switched to a less tuned map before I had the check done?

Also, a coworker told me that they have to put your car on a dyno in order to do a smog check. Does this mean I need to find a place with a 4-wheel dyno in order to have the check performed?

Finally, can anyone recommend a place in Marin (the closer to San Rafael, the better ) where I can get all this done? My current registration is expiring soon and I want to get this taken care of ASAP.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX San Remo Red
The smog check here includes a visual inspection so you may not pass that with the Cobb turboback on. your best bet is to put the stock DP back on and flash to the stock map before going in.
In CA i think we are exempted the dyno part due to the AWD.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:15 PM

For what it's worth, I found a place in San Rafael that passed it without issue. I didn't switch maps or put the stock exhaust back on, and it passed the visual with the Cobb Turboback tip and the emissions with the stage2 91oct map. He just revved it out of gear rather than dyno it since they only had a 2 wheel dyno. Glad to get that over with!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Cool

Originally Posted by wendigo
For what it's worth, I found a place in San Rafael that passed it without issue. I didn't switch maps or put the stock exhaust back on, and it passed the visual with the Cobb Turboback tip and the emissions with the stage2 91oct map. He just revved it out of gear rather than dyno it since they only had a 2 wheel dyno. Glad to get that over with!
Ok, so where did ya take it? I was going to suggest a shop on Sir Francis Drake Blvd. I forgot the name of it though. Across the street there is a B of A bank. The shop is on the North East corner of the main intersection. Ask them to do a pre-test....if they agree to that without any fuss, you're golden. I doubt they'll bother going over your car with a magnafying glass if it's reading O.K. on the machine. Pay them and go....

Oh, and last time I checked, they didn't have a dyno.

Last edited by Chrisnonstop; 02-27-2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-27-2006, 02:59 PM

I found this place in the AAA directory called Marin Sports & Imports. A few blocks away from "downtown" San Rafael. They were AAA "gold shield certified" and I got a 10% AAA discount. They did it while I waited, nice and quick. I'd go back again.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:24 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Sweet! Good find. I'll have to remember that place incase my other place falls through.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
there is a great place next too LIC motorsports in Novato...
Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Location: My lugnuts require more torque then your Honda makes
Car Info: 05 WRX
I found this place in the AAA directory called Marin Sports & Imports. A few blocks away from "downtown" San Rafael. They were AAA "gold shield certified" and I got a 10% AAA discount. They did it while I waited, nice and quick. I'd go back again.
And they are also Diamond Certified
http://www.diamondcertified.org/mari...s&imports.html

shamless plug
Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Location: My lugnuts require more torque then your Honda makes
Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by qwk_wrx
there is a great place next too LIC motorsports in Novato...

The one next to the Martial Arts Place?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
about smog...if i ran an sti uppipe which is catless on my 02 wrx will i still pass visual and emissions...i just hav a catback and a bov at the moment but want to get an uppipe and i heard the sti stock uppipe is the way to go cuz it looks stock and has the benefit of being catless...but if u cant even see the uppipe i mite as well go for an uppipe that is cheaper...hope u someone can help me out...
Old 02-28-2006, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
Originally Posted by gqchynaboy
The one next to the Martial Arts Place?
I think so but on the other side, its right next door to adam and down the street from the little mexican restuarant...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:08 PM

So how much did they charge you wendigo?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by hkwan
So how much did they charge you wendigo?
I think I wrote a check for $74. Did I get ripped off? I saw AAA was having smog clinics up in Petaluma later this month for $57.50 so it didn't seem that far off.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:39 AM

Car Info: 2003 MBP WRX
So I have to smog my car next year, does anyone in the bay know anyone else that can "hook it up"?

I'm pretty sure my car won't pass

Mods:
UPpipe/TBE Scooby Sport (it has a dual tip box and looks pretty stock, but it is kinda tilted)
Perrin Hoses IC/Radiator
COBB AP

This summer:
JDM RA v2 short block
VF23
STi Pink Injectors
STi v7 FMIC

Or does anyone have any idea if there's something I can do, less than taking everything off, to get my car to pass? Because it doesn't seem like anyone else has answered the question really, just suggested smog places? I guess I could hold off the swap until next year if I can pass it with my current mods.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
I think I wrote a check for $74. Did I get ripped off? I saw AAA was having smog clinics up in Petaluma later this month for $57.50 so it didn't seem that far off.
Not ripped off, some places charge more than others. The place next door is $53 which about the cheapest you'll find. Since you passed, you should have no worrries.

-Adam

Quick Reply: North Bay smog check