Noob from Philly with noob questions (re: smog and safety inspections)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:30 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally Posted by doubleU RX
Thanks for the reply Jumpman. Wife and I are pretty stoked to be moving back to CA (no offense to anyone but Philly flippin sucks). Anyways, I'm not so worried about the cops as I am about passing inspections and emissions since I have to register my out of state car in CA. So sounds like the hi-flow cat won't fool the sniffer. So you know any good shops around that you would recommend?
California is one state that surprisingly does not have annual inspections for things like correctly operating safety equipment (lighting, bumpers, bald tires, etc.) on passenger cars.

CA vehicle code does prohibit window tint (except for clear UV film) on driver and passenger front windows but it's left up to local law enforcement or the California Highway Patrol to notice it out on the road and enforce the law.

General Rule of thumb - the darker the tint on the front two side windows, the more potential problems you will have. People get away with dark tint all the way around every day but it's just one more thing to attract attention. My neighbor had really dark tint all the way around on his car but one day I noticed the tint had been removed from his front two side windows - he must've been pulled over.

The bi-annual smog inspection (or first time inspection for out-of-state cars) does not concern itself with anything other than emissions testing. They don't care about tint.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by edkwon
welcome, lol
Hey Ed. Can't wait to be your neighbor for about a month.
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
California is one state that surprisingly does not have annual inspections for things like correctly operating safety equipment (lighting, bumpers, bald tires, etc.) on passenger cars.

CA vehicle code does prohibit window tint (except for clear UV film) on driver and passenger front windows but it's left up to local law enforcement or the California Highway Patrol to notice it out on the road and enforce the law.

General Rule of thumb - the darker the tint on the front two side windows, the more potential problems you will have. People get away with dark tint all the way around every day but it's just one more thing to attract attention. My neighbor had really dark tint all the way around on his car but one day I noticed the tint had been removed from his front two side windows - he must've been pulled over.

The bi-annual smog inspection (or first time inspection for out-of-state cars) does not concern itself with anything other than emissions testing. They don't care about tint.

Thanks for the great info. I used to live in LA with limo tint all the way around and never had a problem either. So as long as theres no safety inspection to register my car, I guess I'll leave 'em on for now.

Now I just have to pray that my turboback will pass emissions. Sounds like some people here have passed while others haven't. Just gotta figure out which places are more "mod friendly". Any suggestions?