Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
NO MORE UNLAWFUL VEHICLE INSPECTIONS Petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?AH4G63&1
Old 08-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 2015 STI
Thumbs up

I'm for it!! That's the very reason why I can't buy the exhaust I really want!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 PM

Car Info: 06 Evolution IX MR Graphite Gray
I agree with the sentiment of the petition, but its substance needs some work. It's too general and the language is far too candid to be taken seriously by a government body or official. The author makes some good points in several cases, but it gets lost in the bull**** along the way.

Nice first draft, but I'll wait for the final before I put my signature on it.

-Bis
Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
i am all for this petition if a harley can have loud exhaust so can i .
i dont understand how they can ticket all of us for having loud exhaust and the you hear a harley from 5 miles away that just not right.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 240sx (s13)
Originally Posted by WREXNFX
i dont understand how they can ticket all of us for having loud exhaust and the you hear a harley from 5 miles away that just not right.
im with u on that.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Its not going to work, there was never a fast and the furious about harleys street racing.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by WREXNFX
Motorcycles need to be loud so that they can be seen. People dont pay attention, they dont see our cars, which are not exactly small, imagine if you were on something way smaller, if a fellow motorist couldnt hear you they wouldnr see you. Also, there is no law in california regulating the exhaust decibel level of a motorcycle, however there is a law regulating the decibel level of a car. Dont like the laws in California? You better move cuz they arent gonna change.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:31 PM

jewpac's got a point. Only thing that would probably happen with that argument is getting loud harley exhaust banned.

Why **** on another guy's fun because the gov't screwed yours? If you've never ridden a bike you don't understand how much you need to get a cage's attention. It's life or death a lot of the time. Horns are pathetic. Mine broke on my last harley and I never got it fixed. Didn't need it.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jewpac42
Also, there is no law in california regulating the exhaust decibel level of a motorcycle, however there is a law regulating the decibel level of a car.
Not true. There are regs, but the difference is that there is no smog check, so you can get away with changes unless you get pulled by a leo.

I can't get onto DMV's site at the moment, but I got this excerpt from BARF:

"CVC 27202 says For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise limits shall apply to any motorcycle, other than a motor-driven cycle, manufactured:

(1) After 1969, and before 1973 88 dbA
(2) After 1972, and before 1975 86 dbA
(3) After 1974, and before 1986 83 dbA
(4) After 1985 80 dbA "
Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Rat

Car Info: always changing...
Motorcycles need to be loud so that they can be seen. People dont pay attention, they dont see our cars, which are not exactly small, imagine if you were on something way smaller, if a fellow motorist couldnt hear you they wouldnr see you. Also, there is no law in california regulating the exhaust decibel level of a motorcycle, however there is a law regulating the decibel level of a car. Dont like the laws in California? You better move cuz they arent gonna change.

Audibly loud, yes... but not as loud as a lot of bikes are. Straight pipes on a Harley are just obnoxious. There is no reason for a bike to be so loud that I can hear it from a couple miles away. There's a crappy old Kawasaki that lives near me who needs a new exhaust, his isn't modified (that I can see). It's just old and busted and annoying as hell.

And, as was pointed out above, there are laws regarding decibel levels of bikes too. They just aren't enforced as often.

Or, instead of moving, you could try to get the laws changed. It's very difficult but still possible.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Originally Posted by pink-i-wagon
jewpac's got a point. Only thing that would probably happen with that argument is getting loud harley exhaust banned.

Why **** on another guy's fun because the gov't screwed yours? If you've never ridden a bike you don't understand how much you need to get a cage's attention. It's life or death a lot of the time. Horns are pathetic. Mine broke on my last harley and I never got it fixed. Didn't need it.
If that is your reasoning, why can't I run my exhaust at 140db with Super Whistler Tips... its a matter of life and death for me, too, against H2s, and 18 wheelers. Which is it, fun or safety?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Don't mean to be a generalizer, but DAMN there's a lot of azn people on that list!

-Gagan
Old 08-16-2005, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Also why we ride with our brights on during the day.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Don't mean to be a generalizer, but DAMN there's a lot of azn people on that list!

-Gagan
They know how to use the internet.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:36 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX

Most motorcycles are very livable noisewise. Most sport bikes I have no problem with, and most of the time I can see them way before they get close to passing inbetween a car and mine. If you're saying that a Harley needs to be that loud so people can see them that must be a bias opinion because, like stated in this thread, you don't need to know a bike is coming from atleast 1/2 to a mile away.

Not only motorcycles, what about all the muscle cars that have damn loud exhausts? In fact there's a Mustang Cobra with this damn loud *** exhaust and supercharger flying up and down my street for fun. He's actually been doing it every night for about the past week.

Though, since people do know about this law, why do people try to think they can beat it and put a loud one on anyway? I have a full turbo back w/ only 1 cat on the dp and it's quieter than my friend's Prodrive Axleback and slightly quieter than my other friend's SPT catback. More noise doesn't always equal more power...

Quick Reply: NO MORE UNLAWFUL VEHICLE INSPECTIONS Petition