Next Mods for Aging 2003 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM

Next Mods for Aging 2003 WRX

Ok, so I'm slowly trying to "restore" my 2003 WRX back into "new-ish" condition. It's got about 130k miles on it, and it's starting to feel a little "loose."

I recently got a tune from Ed (basic stage 2 setup, minus aftermarket catback), so engine-wise, the car's running great.

As far as suspension, I was originally running H&R springs on stock shocks, but after 3 years of commuting 60-100 miles daily into SF for school/work, I ended up going back to a stock springs/stock shocks (with less miles than my car) setup. I'd like to keep this setup for now, as I think it works well for daily commuting - not too harsh, but not too soft either (compared to other cars).

I swapped out the stock wagon rear bar (17-18mm?) for a stock sedan rear sway bar when the car was new. I thought it made a huge difference back then. Lately I've been thinking the end links/mounts are getting a little old, and am considering upgrading to a 22mm rear sway bar with mounts/end links. How big a difference will I notice over the stock 20mm sway bar/end links/mounts for day-to-day driving? I know the 2003's came with wimpy rear sway mounts, but I've got a set of the newer "beefier" mounts at home which I could swap in, but I would still have stock end links and the stock sway bar.

Is a new front sway bar worth it? What about just upgrading the front end links? Worthwhile?

The other option (for now), is to upgrade the motor/tranny mounts. Would this help in tightening up the car more-so than the sway bar? I've heard mixed reviews as far as these go for daily drivers, i.e. might be too much vibration vs. make the car feel much more connected to he driver.

In terms of cost, I'm thinking a rear sway bar + mounts + end links would be comparable to the cost of new motor mounts/tranny mount. Which should I get (first)?
________
N02 Vaporizer

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
If you want to give new life to an old car, or even a new car, the best mod you can do HANDS down and above anything else, is an upgraded seat. Stock seats are meant to endure a lot, which includes the load from a 500 lbs man, so where do you fit into that equation? The stock seat is a compromise, since everyone is built differently they make the seat into a very generic size and it results in discomfort and just an overall lousy design... You may think your seat is fine until you actually sit in an upgraded racing seat that is made to fit you and your body style, nor someone completely opposite of you.

It changes the way the car feels entirely. It's like going from stock suspension to getting really aggressive coil overs, and that's no joke. Your felt body roll is reduced GREATLY because you no longer slide around or tilt in your seat, a lot of felt body roll is actually YOU rolling and moving in your seat. When you get a seat like the one I have now, all you have to worry about is steering! It's great, no more having to hold on to the steering wheel for dear life, now the seat holds you nice and firmly.

Here's a video of the Sparco EVO 2 I put into my car. It sits lower, holds me firmly, and made the car feel about 10x better then it did stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwbzkDTFPIk
Old 10-19-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee
If you want to give new life to an old car, or even a new car, the best mod you can do HANDS down and above anything else, is an upgraded seat. Stock seats are meant to endure a lot, which includes the load from a 500 lbs man, so where do you fit into that equation? The stock seat is a compromise, since everyone is built differently they make the seat into a very generic size and it results in discomfort and just an overall lousy design... You may think your seat is fine until you actually sit in an upgraded racing seat that is made to fit you and your body style, nor someone completely opposite of you.

It changes the way the car feels entirely. It's like going from stock suspension to getting really aggressive coil overs, and that's no joke. Your felt body roll is reduced GREATLY because you no longer slide around or tilt in your seat, a lot of felt body roll is actually YOU rolling and moving in your seat. When you get a seat like the one I have now, all you have to worry about is steering! It's great, no more having to hold on to the steering wheel for dear life, now the seat holds you nice and firmly.

Here's a video of the Sparco EVO 2 I put into my car. It sits lower, holds me firmly, and made the car feel about 10x better then it did stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwbzkDTFPIk

You know, now that you mention it, I've actually been thinking about getting a new seat. My stock one is torn/tearing, and it drives me crazy having to worry about whether getting in and out of the car is going to further tear it. I know JACK about seats. How much is a middle-of-the-road seat? Will any of the aftermarket seats just bolt right up to my stock rails? Is it weird to only get the driver's seat, i.e. will it look funny/uneven? Do any of them recline?

Ok, so I just quickly looked through some online sites, and it looks like an ENTRY-LEVEL Cobra or Corbaeu seat, or something like it, may be doable, but there is no way I could reasonably spend like $800 on one seat at the moment. How much of an improvement would I see with something like an entry-level seat, and do THEY mount to my stock brackets or will I need to buy those as well?
________
Volcano Vaporizer Price

Old 10-19-2009, 11:32 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
I like a quicker steering rack, personally. My favorite mod.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
i have a wagon, and went from the stock rear sway to sedan to 22mm cobb to 23mm cobb (same bar, stiffer setting), and can notice a pretty marked difference with each step. end links help alot with the feel. i didnt replace my front sway, but did replace the front end links, which helped with the response.

i've read too many mixed reviews to believe that engine mounts is worth the cost in parts. sure, it might make things stiffer, but for what cost. sways and links will yield you greater change in performance at a lower cost.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM

kyoung05, aren't you Santa Clara? If so you can drive my 02 wagon. I have alot of stuff that you wondering installed.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by En3D
kyoung05, aren't you Santa Clara? If so you can drive my 02 wagon. I have alot of stuff that you wondering installed.
Hey, thanks for the offer - I may take you up on it. My parents live in Santa Clara, and I am usually there on the weekends, but I live in San Mateo, work in SF.
________
Kawasaki Kz305

Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1858496

Since you are talking about seats but are looking at a lower cost solution here is an option for you. I may try to go down to check out these seats at some point, but it wouldn't be until November sometime if I can even make it down there so I really am not fully certain as to how good of quality these seats really are.

As far as your car feeling "loose", it sounds like it is time to really start going through and upgrading the bushings and mounts in your car. Also a quality set of tires can help with that area as well. A fairly cheap mod to do that definitely can help reduce that "loose" feeling is the Steering Rack Bushings. I just did these recently and was very pleased how the steering has come back to a nice crisp feeling vs the sloppy driving sensation it had before. I also really liked the results from the Rear Subframe Bolts. The rear didn't feel as disconnected any more to me (granted I also did these at the same time I had the rear sway bar and 04+ mounts installed).
Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
^^+1 on bushings
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by flukewrx

Since you are talking about seats but are looking at a lower cost solution here is an option for you. I may try to go down to check out these seats at some point, but it wouldn't be until November sometime if I can even make it down there so I really am not fully certain as to how good of quality these seats really are.

As far as your car feeling "loose", it sounds like it is time to really start going through and upgrading the bushings and mounts in your car. Also a quality set of tires can help with that area as well. A fairly cheap mod to do that definitely can help reduce that "loose" feeling is the Steering Rack Bushings. I just did these recently and was very pleased how the steering has come back to a nice crisp feeling vs the sloppy driving sensation it had before. I also really liked the results from the Rear Subframe Bolts. The rear didn't feel as disconnected any more to me (granted I also did these at the same time I had the rear sway bar and 04+ mounts installed).
Hey, thanks for the link to the seats. That looks very interesting - about $350/pair for a no frills basic seat. Any idea whether these require special brackets, etc.?

As for the bushings/mounts, do you happen to have a "list" of the bushings that would require replacing? Do I just replace them with new stock OEM ones or are there aftermarket ones you'd recommend? Same with the rear subframe bolts - just replace them with stock ones? Thanks again.

As for tires, I was running Pirelli P-Zero Neros before, and am currently running Dunlop RE760's. Both are leaps and bounds better than the stock RE-92's.
________
Weed vaporizers

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
+1 on the Whiteline steering rack bushings.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I've done all of those mods. If you're going for a small-ish rear bar it's probably not necessary to go for the heavy duty mount. I got one with my 22 and it didn't make any noticeable difference. I have to say that the trans mount made a huge difference because each and every one of your shifts is much more satisfying.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by flukewrx

Those (first seat pictured) looks nice for a dedicated race car but HORRIBLE for a daily driver. The seat I have is already aggressive as hell, not nearly as much as that one, but much more then stock and even mine can be difficult to get out of if you aren't used to it, I can't imagine that one! Having the seat literally in your face and blocking your view also seems like a horrible idea.

When you buy a seat you're trusting a company with your wife because a seat is a HUGE safety feature and you get what you pay for. When getting a seat I would make sure it was a reputable name brand and FIA certified at least! You don't want to get in an accident and die because your seat failed to hold you in properly. I went through 4 different seats before I chose to stay with my current seat. The reason being is everyone is different, everyone prefers something for themselves and everyone's body is different so different designs fit different people. There are some shops in the bay area that have seats in their showrooms that you can try out, or come out to some local meets and sit in someone's car who has seats that you may want. Find which one fits you the best and get that one.

The seats that are in that link are cheap knock off seats, they don't say anything about being certified or have any safety features listed, I would NOT trust them. Replicas can be bad, REALLY bad, and most of the time replicas are bad. You can afford to get a replica fog light cover because it's not a big deal and has no real impact on anything, but getting a knock off seat is like getting a knock off seatbelt.

I did a lot of research on this topic before I got the seat I have right now, so trust me when I tell you that you get what you pay for (Well, to a point at least... some seats cost like 7k because they are made of a rare monkey's ball sack skin, lol), and your life depends on the kind of seat that you choose, so choose wisely.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 PM

BTW, my Sparco EVO 2 seat was around $550-600 alone, the rails cost me another $150 or so, but were a combo of Sparco and Recaro, so I don't know how much the Sparco rails alone cost, but they aren't as expensive as the recaro ones, recaro is $$$
Old 10-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
I like a quicker steering rack, personally. My favorite mod.
Def a great mod! I would love to get one for my STi! The STi already has a good ratio but I love really tight steering racks!

Which kind do you have? How much did you pay for it? Who installed it? If you installed it, was it simple to do? Or does it require a lot of work/tools?

What's your overall view on the one you got? I'm super interested in hearing what you have to say!

Quick Reply: Next Mods for Aging 2003 WRX