New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:50 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
California is leading the way in permitting the government to have more power than it truly does or should. For some reason this state feels like it's better to let them choose. I just don't get it. Letting 1% make the decisions for 99% is stupid.

The 99% movement is pretty stupid in a lot of way but I can support the ideal.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:32 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Man Scarface was dead on..

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
old.guy,

You have succeeded (maybe, idk) in creating doom and gloom. Now tell us how you propose we get around the new BS.

Thanks,
-me
Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
California is money strapped. The BAR guys only change our smog program 5-7 years to justify keeping their jobs. You want to know what they do the rest of the time? Sit in air conditioned offices bsing around while doing 3 appointments a day for people they cited. Im still very skeptical of the whole checking ecu version in the smog checks.
I could actually see checking the ECU. I'm not an embedded systems programmer but it's possible they wouldn't have to do a gull compare, just the checksum on the code. If you change a single bit that would change, and you'd just need a database of code checksums on the test equipment. Also, if the checksum is generated by the ECU itself as a hardware function, based on whatever ROM has been loaded, then it'd be tricky to get around in software and we'd be back to changing ECU hardware.

Having said that, I don't know if there's any such function nor a standard interface for it in the OBD-II spec.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:05 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by akdmx
old.guy,

You have succeeded (maybe, idk) in creating doom and gloom. Now tell us how you propose we get around the new BS.

Thanks,
-me
Sorry man. Its better to be ready then to get caught with your pants down.

Originally Posted by glider
I could actually see checking the ECU. I'm not an embedded systems programmer but it's possible they wouldn't have to do a gull compare, just the checksum on the code. If you change a single bit that would change, and you'd just need a database of code checksums on the test equipment. Also, if the checksum is generated by the ECU itself as a hardware function, based on whatever ROM has been loaded, then it'd be tricky to get around in software and we'd be back to changing ECU hardware.

Having said that, I don't know if there's any such function nor a standard interface for it in the OBD-II spec.
That is the just of it. As far as checking the ecu they are only reading the checksum and the Cal ID

Even my Droid phone has a program called "Torque" It even scans the ecu and gives you a Vehical Manufacturer, Vin Code, OBD Protocol, and then Calibration ID, And this is just to name a few. It will even tell you how many ECU's the car has and what versions. Engine, Trans, Airbag and so on.

If my cell phone can pull that info and do it instantly using a blue tooth adapter. Guess what! The state can as well.

Like I said, They already have a data base of vehical manufacturer calibrations. They have to give those up when they get their emissions approval to sell the car.

Keep in mind that canbus is even faster then obdII and you might be able to get around it be swapping ecu's. But then you will have to get your new ECU programmed to your car at the dealer. Least for anyone with chips in their car keys.

Like I said. It will be interesting on how this gets handled. Will a reflash back to stock get you cleared? Or will California want you to buy a new un tampered with ECU?
This could also backfire big for the state as well. As it effects more then just Subaru owners. Every brand of car has some sort of tuner out there.

My post is about making people aware of a problem on the way. Not to scare everyone. I really think that the BAR, CARB and EPA were required to publish they sneeky B.S. since they are a public office.
None of this stuff is going to change until someone like us gets voted into office and is able to sand bag or make change. California is just way to far lost to get everyone person effected together to make a fight. Everyone has pretty much rolled over now days on this crap.

Last edited by old.guy; 05-05-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by old.guy
Sorry man. Its better to be ready then to get caught with your pants down.

That is the just of it. As far as checking the ecu they are only reading the checksum and the Cal ID

Even my Droid phone has a program called "Torque" It even scans the ecu and gives you a Vehical Manufacturer, Vin Code, OBD Protocol, and then Calibration ID, And this is just to name a few. It will even tell you how many ECU's the car has and what versions. Engine, Trans, Airbag and so on.

If my cell phone can pull that info and do it instantly using a blue tooth adapter. Guess what! The state can as well.

Like I said, They already have a data base of vehical manufacturer calibrations. They have to give those up when they get their emissions approval to sell the car.

Keep in mind that canbus is even faster then obdII and you might be able to get around it be swapping ecu's. But then you will have to get your new ECU programmed to your car at the dealer. Least for anyone with chips in their car keys.

Like I said. It will be interesting on how this gets handled. Will a reflash back to stock get you cleared? Or will California want you to buy a new un tampered with ECU?
This could also backfire big for the state as well. As it effects more then just Subaru owners. Every brand of car has some sort of tuner out there.

My post is about making people aware of a problem on the way. Not to scare everyone. I really think that the BAR, CARB and EPA were required to publish they sneeky B.S. since they are a public office.
None of this stuff is going to change until someone like us gets voted into office and is able to sand bag or make change. California is just way to far lost to get everyone person effected together to make a fight. Everyone has pretty much rolled over now days on this crap.
Damnit man, that is so discouraging.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
None of this stuff is going to change until someone like us gets voted into office and is able to sand bag or make change.
old.guy for president?

He has my vote just on the basis of his stable of whips
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Retired War Hero

Car Info: .gifs
And all new dealer ecu updates I am sure will have to go thru the BAR. I am surprised it is not already like that.
Surprised? Really? Auto manufacturers are much more concerned about their vehicles than dealing with the state when they already have all kinds of safety things to deal with. BAR is already a poorly managed, inefficient, understaffed operation, they're not going to be able to handle it, and taxpayers aren't going to pay for it.

People who run smog shops aren't going to bother with it, it'll cost them more time and money. Many smog shops don't even care about aftermarket mods as long as you pass the scanner and sniffer.

The only foreseeable thing that will ever happen is they tighten the ranges on the sniffer test and force auto manufacturers to raise their MPGs on newer cars.

Last edited by thejordan; 05-07-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by thejordan
Surprised? Really? Auto manufacturers are much more concerned about their vehicles than dealing with the state when they already have all kinds of safety things to deal with. BAR is already a poorly managed, inefficient, understaffed operation, they're not going to be able to handle it, and taxpayers aren't going to pay for it.

People who run smog shops aren't going to bother with it, it'll cost them more time and money. Many smog shops don't even care about aftermarket mods as long as you pass the scanner and sniffer.

The only foreseeable thing that will ever happen is they tighten the ranges on the sniffer test and force auto manufacturers to raise their MPGs on newer cars.
Have you even read the thread?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB GGA
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but has anyone smogged this year? Was it easier or harder to pass than in the past?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but has anyone smogged this year? Was it easier or harder to pass than in the past?
With Star I think it maybe...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB GGA
Originally Posted by Heedz
With Star I think it maybe...
wat
Old 05-28-2013, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jaytron
wat
wut
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz

wut
May be. Or maybe?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Superusdm
May be. Or maybe?
IDK?
or...
IDK?

Quick Reply: New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?