New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I don't think they'll be comparing maps, sounds far fetched to me..
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I have no clue if they will either, but for those of you that think they can't because of limitations like connection speed, consider the size of these maps. My accessport maps and EQ custom map are all like 4kb.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by subie OCD
If it's as easy as plugging in a machine... they'll do it.

But it will probably be as easy as an edit to tuning software to fix the issue.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
i'm sure majority of you have downloaded and uploaded maps via accessport and that alone is around 20-30 min process, just imagine them trying to compare it via a oem one. my m3 map took me almost 45 mins to copy over. i call b.s. on the comparing oem vs modified ecu.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by old.guy
I wish it was a worse case.
Each map has a id and each ecu has a code that changes when flashed.
That is all they need to check. They check that with mileage, vin.
Interesting but then again my programming knowledge level is n00b at best. Im sure the opensource guys can find a way around it so the id and ecu code stay the same. There is far too much money invested in the tuning/modding aspect of this industry for people to give up.

Personally I dont think anything like that will ever fly in California.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That is exactly what "they" want.

They want everyone to drive a prius. Actually what they really want is all of us to get in cars and let them drive for us.

And yes if it gets to gnarly you will eventually start hearing about it. I think america has finally started to figure out that they have a voice. This **** will stop. If we wanted to live in North Korea we wouldn't be in the united states of america where we have much more power than we think if we work together.
Technically we "had" a voice all along. But I agree with that part. And I fully believe/agree with you on having them drive for us. Google has already started R&D on AI cars. Won't be long before there is a service to drive you in your car to a pre-determined location, ex. LA, all while you can be lazy. Wait....they do have that, why the **** are they wasting their time with this? I'll forsure be "that guy" driving his car on an empty 280/85/17 while every one else has their fingers up their asses while floating around in tubes above me
Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Originally Posted by wilde
Technically we "had" a voice all along. But I agree with that part. And I fully believe/agree with you on having them drive for us. Google has already started R&D on AI cars. Won't be long before there is a service to drive you in your car to a pre-determined location, ex. LA, all while you can be lazy. Wait....they do have that, why the **** are they wasting their time with this? I'll forsure be "that guy" driving his car on an empty 280/85/17 while every one else has their fingers up their asses while floating around in tubes above me

Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
The reflashes that dealers do have to currently be approved thru the EPA before rolled out to the dealers. It is not as easy as emailing out a file. There is already a data base of these.

Reflashes do not take 30-40 minutes. I have used Ecutek, Cobb and Os and never have they taken that long. 5 minutes max. 2.0 cars might take longer... but 2.5 cars its simple. You know how long it takes to do a smog check?
Plug that obdII port in soon as its pulled in and 5-10 minutes later done.
They are not reflashing your car anyways. They are pulling two codes... Thats it. Same as Vin and Mileage. Hell motorcycles have been reading download versions for years.

If you think its not going to happen your only joking yourself. Reflashes are illegal and to the state its a problem not only with smog but street racing. It only took a few kids to get popped street. And a few people to try and pass they car and fail before they started looking into it. Also if you think the BAR or EPA doesn't surf the web... Well I guess you have a bag over your head that says "Firewall" on it.

Last edited by old.guy; 05-04-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by akdmx
this perfectly explains my sarcasm
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
General Pimpin'

The reflashes that dealers do have to currently be approved thru the EPA before rolled out to the dealers. It is not as easy as emailing out a file. There is already a data base of these.

Reflashes do not take 30-40 minutes. I have used Ecutek, Cobb and Os and never have they taken that long. 5 minutes max. 2.0 cars might take longer... but 2.5 cars its simple. You know how long it takes to do a smog check?
Plug that obdII port in soon as its pulled in and 5-10 minutes later done.
They are not reflashing your car anyways. They are pulling two codes... Thats it. Same as Vin and Mileage. Hell motorcycles have been reading download versions for years.

If you think its not going to happen your only joking yourself. Reflashes are illegal and to the state its a problem not only with smog but street racing. It only took a few kids to get popped street. And a few people to try and pass they car and fail before they started looking into it. Also if you think the BAR or EPA doesn't surf the web... Well I guess you have a bag over your head that says "Firewall" on it.

People have been getting "popped" for it for years. It's a cost to effect issue. Do I think it will happen... possibly. Do I think it needs to happen. Nope. Do I think we can stop it. Yup.

As soon as they start cracking down on it they will just ad it as a feature to your tune.

As for a problem on street racing... I think that's a stretch. There are what half a million users between here and Nasioc. How many do you think run in organized street racing? 100? 1000? That's nationwide.

You want to stop street racing... not gonna happen. You want to cut it back... stop tearing down tracks and build some. Passing some bull**** law that's nearly impossible to truly regulate and in force is useless and a waste of tax dollars.

It's a very simple process. Changing the method... I buy that. Checking it with just the reader. Easy. Cheap. Fast. But I honestly don't think it's something that a software change in the way cars are tuned can't bypass.

It's something that is designed to do one thing and they use causes like stopping enthusiasts and street racing as catch phrases to get funding and votes.

Just like the DB limits in Denver for motorcycles. They have a law there where you can't put anything beyond a STOCK exhaust on your motorcycle and the db limit has to be 84 dbs.... Yeah... stock harleys are 20 points higher than that. It's a bull**** law that is only enforced when it aids an officer in pulling over an HA member to check for warrants, weapons or drugs.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by wilde
For real. Find with me. Make it like the autobahn with certain areas speed limitless. Increase the difficulty of drivers tests with leveled licenses given out. Let the commuters sit in there brain dead vehicles and end up like the fat bastards in Wall-E unaware that human life exists.

My opinion... stop wasting time and money and improve public transit. Period.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
People have been getting "popped" for it for years. It's a cost to effect issue. Do I think it will happen... possibly. Do I think it needs to happen. Nope. Do I think we can stop it. Yup.

As soon as they start cracking down on it they will just ad it as a feature to your tune.

As for a problem on street racing... I think that's a stretch. There are what half a million users between here and Nasioc. How many do you think run in organized street racing? 100? 1000? That's nationwide.

You want to stop street racing... not gonna happen. You want to cut it back... stop tearing down tracks and build some. Passing some bull**** law that's nearly impossible to truly regulate and in force is useless and a waste of tax dollars.

It's a very simple process. Changing the method... I buy that. Checking it with just the reader. Easy. Cheap. Fast. But I honestly don't think it's something that a software change in the way cars are tuned can't bypass.

It's something that is designed to do one thing and they use causes like stopping enthusiasts and street racing as catch phrases to get funding and votes.

Just like the DB limits in Denver for motorcycles. They have a law there where you can't put anything beyond a STOCK exhaust on your motorcycle and the db limit has to be 84 dbs.... Yeah... stock harleys are 20 points higher than that. It's a bull**** law that is only enforced when it aids an officer in pulling over an HA member to check for warrants, weapons or drugs.
I do not even know where to start....
Its the cat and mouse game. One side runs unchecked for a while. Gets caught, Then they comeback with something better. ..

As long as people have been living. There has been some form of racing. Subaru is not the only brand out there. The problem is a lot bigger then you think. Last time I was out there was back in high school and it was 5 of us. Few weeks later and it was 250 people. Yeah no thanks..

California also is cracking down on exhausts. LeoVince was working to get that law written differently. Not sure if that ever happened. But that law is coming to. OEM only.

Knee jerk or not. This stuff is in the works. You can get ready for it or not. They also love to keep this stuff under the radar. Better chance at passing then public outcry. But its California, until you all take back the state. Keep bending over...
Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
California is money strapped. The BAR guys only change our smog program 5-7 years to justify keeping their jobs. You want to know what they do the rest of the time? Sit in air conditioned offices bsing around while doing 3 appointments a day for people they cited. Im still very skeptical of the whole checking ecu version in the smog checks.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM
General Pimpin'

I do not even know where to start....
Its the cat and mouse game. One side runs unchecked for a while. Gets caught, Then they comeback with something better. ..

As long as people have been living. There has been some form of racing. Subaru is not the only brand out there. The problem is a lot bigger then you think. Last time I was out there was back in high school and it was 5 of us. Few weeks later and it was 250 people. Yeah no thanks..

California also is cracking down on exhausts. LeoVince was working to get that law written differently. Not sure if that ever happened. But that law is coming to. OEM only.

Knee jerk or not. This stuff is in the works. You can get ready for it or not. They also love to keep this stuff under the radar. Better chance at passing then public outcry. But its California, until you all take back the state. Keep bending over...

agreed.

And it's not bigger than I think. I was young and dumb once. I used to be pretty heavy in to it... organized runs of the scale you see on FF movies. Thousands of dollars on the line. 10 second cars. Fully built drag cars. Etc.

It's not worth the money.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:03 PM

For real. Find with me. Make it like the autobahn with certain areas speed limitless. Increase the difficulty of drivers tests with leveled licenses given out. Let the commuters sit in there brain dead vehicles and end up like the fat bastards in Wall-E unaware that human life exists.

My opinion... stop wasting time and money and improve public transit. Period.
As much as I would love an autobahn styled freeway(ex.280), it would never happen. But I completely agree with your post.

In the end though, if CA really wants to put a stop to modifying vehicles, they can and will. That's if we don't do anything about it. Honestly it will take everyone from the enthusiast, the performance shop, and even up to manufacturers to stop it. In retrospect, IT IS a form of govt and we all know how that goes. It's gotten to this point so far hasn't it? Who is gonna stop it, and when is that gonna happen?

Quick Reply: New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?