New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by old.guy
Already right now if you flash your car the readyness monitors will be jacked and you will fail. You need 3 out of 4 on to pass.

They check the coding. They were working on this back when I was teaching and went to the state smog improvement meeting.

And all new dealer ecu updates I am sure will have to go thru the BAR. I am surprised it is not already like that.
So does that mean if I already flashed an aftermarket map onto my ECU, but return it to stock before the smog, I will fail?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld
So does that mean if I already flashed an aftermarket map onto my ECU, but return it to stock before the smog, I will fail?
haha i just asked that right before you
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Oh..... and something that is going to make you all really sad.

They will be able to check the ECU for "hacks" Like even the Cobb AP can be found.

So if you think oh sweet. shut codes off.. Errrrrrrrr wrong answer. They already have been testing the new systems to catch that.
Source for this info. As far as I know they're only going to check your VIN with the obd2 and thats so they can catch the cleanwire guys.

Honestly I dont even know how thats possible for them to compare maps especially if you name your map the same as the stock map. They'd literally have to download your map and send in via their 56k modem service (yes thats right, I said 56k) to a database somewhere that would then compare your base map with the modified one and send it back via 56k again.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 05-03-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by flat489
haha i just asked that right before you
Haha, yeah, I saw that. I wasn't too sure about his answer, but it doesn't sound too good.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by KrAzYkld
Haha, yeah, I saw that. I wasn't too sure about his answer, but it doesn't sound too good.
What he is talking about is worst possible case and I don't think it's going to fly.

We spend too much money on crap like this in California. Hopefully people will notice and we can get rid of some of these full time law makers and fade back some of the control we've given up.

We're getting to the point where people are so willing to let someone else make their choices that they don't know they're being bent over with no lube.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I smogged my matching Saab 9-5's in Reno last November - the guy connected a hand-held to the OBD2 port, checked for codes and checked my VIN under the hood. That was it.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
I wish it was a worse case.
Each map has a id and each ecu has a code that changes when flashed.
That is all they need to check. They check that with mileage, vin.

As for source, We had a meeting back when I was teaching about California smog program and all the states top guys were there talking about the future and what is in development. Part of those roadside smog checks have proved that dyno use is a waste of time if the obdII comes back clear the car is running factory clean. So when they roll out the obdII check only. They needed to find a way to catch the guys that have re flashed and shut off codes to pass. So they went to work.

I posted about it way back then. California, Nevada, Arizona were going to start sharing smog programs and info and come up with a muti state co-op. California looked at Arizona for the obdII only scan on newer cars and trucks. Arizona has been doing it for years. Arizona is going to be working on updating its testing by borrowing California's way to catch Ecu hacks. Nevada was going to adopt everything.

My truck passed 2 months ago AZ smog with a power tuner map installed. My Subie past smog last week. And that was on a 480whp 91 map from a Cobb protune. And we all know my car is bone stock. The smog program in Az is 100% state run. It would be like taking your car to a Ref in California for each smog check. No joe's gas station down the street smog check. Its a good thing too. Smog checks here 5-10 minutes max, $10-18 depending on what you drive.

ECU tunes are illegal in California anyways. They all know about it and how big the "problem" is. It was just a matter of time before they were able to roll out a way to catch it. And as such, I am sure someone will come along with a way to get around it. Or just swap your ecu out till then. Re flash to your stock rom file. Big reason why to always get a copy of your stock rom. Yes the flash code will be different. But the stock rom flash/code will not be. Should be interesting on how they handle that. If they find the ecu has been flashed are they going to fail you till you replace the ECU with a brand new factory unit? Its California. So anything is possible.

Its a cat and mouse game for sure.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM

As for source, We had a meeting back when I was teaching about California smog program and all the states top guys were there talking about the future and what is in development. Part of those roadside smog checks have proved that dyno use is a waste of time if the obdII comes back clear the car is running factory clean. So when they roll out the obdII check only. They needed to find a way to catch the guys that have re flashed and shut off codes to pass. So they went to work.

I posted about it way back then. California, Nevada, Arizona were going to start sharing smog programs and info and come up with a muti state co-op. California looked at Arizona for the obdII only scan on newer cars and trucks. Arizona has been doing it for years. Arizona is going to be working on updating its testing by borrowing California's way to catch Ecu hacks. Nevada was going to adopt everything.

My truck passed 2 months ago AZ smog with a power tuner map installed. My Subie past smog last week. And that was on a 480whp 91 map from a Cobb protune. And we all know my car is bone stock. The smog program in Az is 100% state run. It would be like taking your car to a Ref in California for each smog check. No joe's gas station down the street smog check. Its a good thing too. Smog checks here 5-10 minutes max, $10-18 depending on what you drive.

ECU tunes are illegal in California anyways. They all know about it and how big the "problem" is. It was just a matter of time before they were able to roll out a way to catch it. And as such, I am sure someone will come along with a way to get around it. Or just swap your ecu out till then. Re flash to your stock rom file. Big reason why to always get a copy of your stock rom. Yes the flash code will be different. But the stock rom flash/code will not be. Should be interesting on how they handle that. If they find the ecu has been flashed are they going to fail you till you replace the ECU with a brand new factory unit? Its California. So anything is possible.

So what happens to the cars that required a dealer ecu update or "reflash"

I don't believe they have a way of checking this against a database, I've never heard of this. Any documentation? What about older cars?

Last edited by slow04wrx; 05-04-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:59 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
there are too many factory reflashes for it to be that cut and dry
Old 05-04-2012, 10:06 AM
General Pimpin'

This entire process is a waste of tax payer dollars. Californians are retarded if you think the pollution issue resides on the shoulders of auto mobiles. ESPECIALLY the ridiculously small number of car modified to the point of being polluters.

HUGE HUGE waste of money. HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE!

And you'll notice how quickly those road side pieces of **** went away. They're stupid. It's a waste of staffing. A waste of police attention. A waste of court dollars. A waste of time. This whole process is bull**** and once tax payers start pull their heads out of their asses and look at the cost behind it maybe it'll stop.

If police stopped wasting time on loud exhaust maybe they could spend more time on people driving around with no head lights. No tail lights. Doing 70 with a donut on. Etc etc etc.

bull****.

And no... I still don't think exactly what you're saying is going to happen. It's too hard to enforce. Too expensive to enforce. To pointless.

They're just doing what they need to do to justify their paychecks.

IF it gets like you're talking it's just one more step closer to them getting classic cars and old cars off the road like some dumb ****s would like to see happen. If it gets that strict you'll see an EXPLOSION in the "old" car scene. EXPLOSION. Hell I'll sell my subaru and buy and old *** truck to drive to the snow... maybe a scout or jeep. And I'll switch to driving my 9mpg caddy on the road. **** the man.

This **** pisses me off. These people are being permitted to stick their hands way to far into our pockets. I'm tired of feeling like the man is sitting on the edge of my bed making sure I don't brake some kind of archaic law some 70 year old douche thinks is his business.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM

Car Info: 05 white WRX
I think we will be ok as long as the stock map is back on. I just don't get it though, people will mod their car regardless. Each new law seems as if they are slowly trying to say they don't want any performance modded cars on the road. And why don't they give us 93 gas goddamnit!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
If all that were true... i could see people moving out of state for their cars
Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Doing 70 with a donut on. Etc etc etc.
i hate driving next to those ppl
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by wilde
I think we will be ok as long as the stock map is back on. I just don't get it though, people will mod their car regardless. Each new law seems as if they are slowly trying to say they don't want any performance modded cars on the road. And why don't they give us 93 gas goddamnit!
That is exactly what "they" want.

They want everyone to drive a prius. Actually what they really want is all of us to get in cars and let them drive for us.

And yes if it gets to gnarly you will eventually start hearing about it. I think america has finally started to figure out that they have a voice. This **** will stop. If we wanted to live in North Korea we wouldn't be in the united states of america where we have much more power than we think if we work together.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
If all that were true... i could see people moving out of state for their cars
People will just get more creative.

Quick Reply: New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?