New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Dartholomew
Does it check for codes disabled (P0420 etc.)? I imagine with the visual still in place, most people with modified exhausts will still be "returning to stock" regardless.
If disabled properly, they will pass the inspection just fine.

-- Ed
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by imprezachiang
Diesels dont skip the emissions portion... its just not DYNOed... it should still have the two speed idle portion like AWD vehicles...

As to this law that is suppose to happen in january its still in LINGO since BAR can never decide on whats passed or not as their rules. Id say they probably postpone it until 2014 or later. The law has been passed through the state of california but BAR has not decided if it will be implemented to my knowledge or any of the employees at my work place.
I smog Diesels daily. They dont have an emissions portion of the test. Sticking the probe in the exhaust of a diesel truck will likely kill your machines filters as well.

Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
It's very possible...saw it happen and have seen the print outs from a few different shops.
The law does take effect till Jan 2013 so unless you have a time machine, Im inclined to disagree.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Wouldn't this be better for us? If we know a shop that isn't very strict on visual inspections, we no longer have to worry about swapping the DP or any other part to pass smog.

Also, isn't this kind of a slap in the face from CA to all smog shops? Require them to install dynos and then eliminate the need for them only a few years later?
I imagine they will still need to use the dynos on pre-2000 cars.

-- Ed
Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Wouldn't this be better for us? If we know a shop that isn't very strict on visual inspections, we no longer have to worry about swapping the DP or any other part to pass smog.

Also, isn't this kind of a slap in the face from CA to all smog shops? Require them to install dynos and then eliminate the need for them only a few years later?
Yes its better for the consumer. Yes its a slap in the face to anyone that does smogs but more to the test onlys. They are going to be phased out by the STAR system.

The smog industry is already very saturated (have a lot of friends that paid sequoia 20k+ for their smog license only to go into other fields) even though BAR doesnt agree with me on that statement. They want smog techs to work for McDonald wages. If you're smogging a car at 20$ per smog, you cant pay your tech good money which leads to a lot of rushed smogs which leads to tickets and fines on the techs imposed by the BAR. It also leads to shops doing more illegal smogs because if you make 200$ a smog, it beats having to do the $20 ones.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Awesome, sounds like great news for us!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Damn.. ive got to Reg/Smog in DECEMBER
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Damn.. ive got to Reg/Smog in DECEMBER
Pay before its due but smog in January. No late fees this way and cops usually give you a month before hassling you over tags.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
doesnt really help that im running a catless tbe tho

new thing to do... take apart old stock cbe, pull heat shielding off, weld onto catless exhaust.. profit
Old 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
This is how Nevada has been doing it for a while now. Quick visual inspection and an OBD II test to check for codes.

-- Ed
Interesting, I thought Nevada & Arizona both did only an emissions test without the visual check. Guess I had it backwards.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI

They aren't eliminating the need for dynos, since this only applies to 2000 and newer vehicles. Older vehicles will still require the sniffer test.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
This is going to bum out all the shops that retrofitted with dynos.

This is good news for us because there are plenty of shops that just don't care.

But in my opinion the pipe test isn't the issue... it's the visual. It shouldn't matter what you have in or on your car as long as it meets the smog level requirements.

IF it was like that more people would probably run cats and have lower emissions. And catted exhausts would probably be cheaper.

I'm curious how they got this passed naive california voters.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy

IF it was like that more people would probably run cats and have lower emissions. And catted exhausts would probably be cheaper.
How do you figure that? They just made the smog that much easier and people who werent running cats before still wont be and cars that were failing emissions because their cats were weak are going to keep polluting until the infamous p0420 shows up. If anything, more people will invest in a 20$ spacer than a new cat lol.

Lets be real, this bill has nothing to do with the environment. Its all about special interests and a slimey way to kill the test onlys.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 05-03-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
How do you figure that? They just made the smog that much easier and people who werent running cats before still wont be and cars that were failing emissions because their cats were weak are going to keep polluting until the infamous p0420 shows up. If anything, more people will invest in a 20$ spacer than a new cat lol.

Lets be real, this bill has nothing to do with the environment. Its all about special interests and a slimey way to kill the test onlys.
I agree...

My thinking is like this...

People want power. We build these cars and we put parts on them and we know we're at risk of tickets. So why not go all out?

Add to that the insanely high cost of getting parts through CARB and the low return.

Now say you weren't at risk of a ticket unless you failed the sniffer. With our cars you can do a LOT of mods and still pass the sniffer with even one high flow cat.

Now add to that the insanely high cost of getting parts through CARB but with a higher return... and more than likely it would become easier.

I know for me I would be much more likely to modify my car if I knew I wouldn't get hassled and only had to pass a sniffer. Your power losses are minimal anyways (in the dp).

I am in the process of planning out either a new build or a swap for my car. If the laws where sniffer only I would be more likely to do a built motor and a big turbo. But because they're not I'm more likely to do a mostly stock STI swap so I don't have to deal with it.

that's how I figure...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
This doesn't really affect me too much cause....me haz no money to mod car anyways.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Silver Mojo
This doesn't really affect me too much cause....me haz no money to mod car anyways.
Werd shun! Damn kids. Damn wife. Damn saving for a house. Damn wife's car payment! LOL!

I can't complain too much though I'm trying to get my swap lined up. Wut wut!

Quick Reply: New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?