New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
CBE isn't illegal now, so it shouldn't be illegal after. As long as it passes 95dB limit, it is legal.

They get plenty of info on what the car is doing from the OBDII already. We just had an issue passing the truck. Battery died and I had to jump it. Took it to smog and they said "Not enough data has been stored in the ECU" so it didn't pass. They said go drive it for ~60 miles under 65mph so it will log enough history to pass.

Last edited by 04GG; 05-02-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
This could suck for us. The tailpipe portion is easy since it really only takes an OEM downpipe, but if they crack down on visual or disabled codes our biennial headache could grow larger.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
On a serious note, does that mean any CBE is an illegal mod?

CBEs were never considered illegal... only TBEs were. Anything after the CAT that does not effect emissions is considered legal hence you can go to a smog station and pass visual with just a CBE.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by imprezachiang
CBEs were never considered illegal... only TBEs were. Anything after the CAT that does not effect emissions is considered legal hence you can go to a smog station and pass visual with just a CBE.
That's what I just said.

Even a muffler is illegal if it doesn't pass the 95dB limit.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
A lot of smog shops are disregarding this and still performing the full inspection.

This would be true because if theres no tail pipe emissions and people are doing what looks like oem swaps...or oem appearing modifications.. lots of smog techs would let it slide imo.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
is this a good thing or a bad thing? sounds better to me and evan better for my smog guy haha
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
anything you do to make the car louder, flow more, or not oem is also against the law.... weird but and I don't understand it
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
anything you do to make the car louder, flow more, or not oem is also against the law.... weird but and I don't understand it
In regards to a smog a CBE is not illegal. In regards to the authorities, they can cite you if they feel like it even if it isnt loud. People always get the two messed up....
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

In regards to a smog a CBE is not illegal. In regards to the authorities, they can cite you if they feel like it even if it isnt loud. People always get the two messed up....
Correct. I know this, because I've already been through it. D1ck cop gave me a ticket for sound and I had to go to the REF. It passed, pay the fix-it fine and done. You can't be sent to the REF again, but that doesn't mean you can't get pulled over for it. I just got my car smogged a few weeks ago with CBE on and no issues at all, and I smogged my previous car with CBE on it 3 or 4 times with no issues either.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by 04GG
Correct. I know this, because I've already been through it. D1ck cop gave me a ticket for sound and I had to go to the REF. It passed, pay the fix-it fine and done. You can't be sent to the REF again, but that doesn't mean you can't get pulled over for it. I just got my car smogged a few weeks ago with CBE on and no issues at all, and I smogged my previous car with CBE on it 3 or 4 times with no issues either.
If you can't be sent to the ref again, then what happens if they try to cite you a second time?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by finch1750
If you can't be sent to the ref again, then what happens if they try to cite you a second time?
A cop can pull you over for whatever they want if they consider it reason to. The guy at the REF told me to keep a copy of the paperwork showing that it passed with the car and show it if I got hassled for it again. As long as it is the same exhaust, you can't be ticketed for it because it isn't in violation.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
A lot of smog shops are disregarding this and still performing the full inspection.
Thats impossible because we dont have a opt in/opt out option in regards to performing the emissions part of the test. Diesel vehicles automatically skip the emissions portion. Im strictly speaking from experience with my ESP machine.

As far as all 2000+ vehicles not having to do the emission portion of the test, this is the first I've heard about that. As of last year, none of this was mentioned in the update course I took. All the literature Ive gotten this year from the BAR hasnt mentioned this either. I was told by the teacher that this type of test would soon become mandatory on brand new vehicles that are smog exempt (5-7 years).

The law is definitely good for the consumer and bad for the business. All the competition will drive the price down to about 15-20$ per smog which will lead to even more shops doing illegal stuff to stay in business. This is exactly what the BAR said they were trying to avoid with the new smog check program. Once again they fail and screw the good guys.

Anyway Ill stop over analyzing and see how it plays out but it definitely seems to be a good thing for us car enthusiasts!

Last edited by FXTbrah; 05-02-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Thats impossible because we dont have a opt in/opt out option in regards to performing the emissions part of the test. Diesel vehicles automatically skip the emissions portion. Im strictly speaking from experience with my ESP machine.

As far as all 2000+ vehicles not having to do the emission portion of the test, this is the first I've heard about that. As of last year, none of this was mentioned in the update course I took. All the literature Ive gotten this year from the BAR hasnt mentioned this either. I was told by the teacher that this type of test would soon become mandatory on brand new vehicles that are smog exempt (5-7 years).

The law is definitely good for the consumer and bad for the business. All the competition will drive the price down to about 15-20$ per smog which will lead to even more shops doing illegal stuff to stay in business. This is exactly what the BAR said they were trying to avoid with the new smog check program. Once again they fail and screw the good guys.

Anyway Ill stop over analyzing and see how it plays out but it definitely seems to be a good thing for us car enthusiasts!
Diesels dont skip the emissions portion... its just not DYNOed... it should still have the two speed idle portion like AWD vehicles...

As to this law that is suppose to happen in january its still in LINGO since BAR can never decide on whats passed or not as their rules. Id say they probably postpone it until 2014 or later. The law has been passed through the state of california but BAR has not decided if it will be implemented to my knowledge or any of the employees at my work place.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
It's very possible...saw it happen and have seen the print outs from a few different shops.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Wouldn't this be better for us? If we know a shop that isn't very strict on visual inspections, we no longer have to worry about swapping the DP or any other part to pass smog.

Also, isn't this kind of a slap in the face from CA to all smog shops? Require them to install dynos and then eliminate the need for them only a few years later?

Quick Reply: New Smog Law in 2013? No Tailpipe Readings?