New Jan 1st GPS Placement Law?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Or get a girlfriend/boyfriend; mine is always helpful in making calls/txts/looking up stuff on my phone while I am driving.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
saqwarrior: Those are bad examples, not because they're over the top or anything, but it's because they all carry the same flaw. There's already laws protecting other people in those examples, while none protecting yourself. I don't care what people do to themselves, while if it affect another party, then yes, if it's unsafe and common sense, it just shows how stupid people are that they need to be told.

Jewpac42: Perfect response, other than a few typos, I couldn't have worded it any better myself.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by jewpac42
There are laws to limit fast powerful cars, its called a speed limit, and reckless driving laws. And yes, there should be more driver training before you are just allowed to get behind the wheel of a car with 300+ hp, even a car with 200 hp.
Speed limits do not stop those who want to speed. I regularly drive at a speed that I feel is safe for the road conditions, which rarely coincides with the posted limits. The argument could be made that removing speed limits might actually decrease accidents related to reckless driving; Germany has no speed limit on their freeways (autobahn), and they have better safety records than other European countries with general speed limits.

(As an aside, the psychology of removing speed limits having the effect of cutting back accidents is an interesting one: people have posited that because there is no speed limit, people will drive more conscientiously because they know there is an increased risk.)

If it was a case of the government really wanting to protect us, they would make an all-encompassing "anti-distraction" law. As it stands, I see people driving and reading, driving and putting on makeup, driving and watching television, et al, yet none of these things are illegal and most have been going on for much longer than mobile phones have even existed.

And there already are things that protect against people who drive and put the lives of others in danger: insurance, for starters.

The difference between Alcohol and Candy and texting while driving is that alcohol and candy are a danger only to the person consuming said products, it is not a danger to the public if someone consumes too much candy and becomes a diabetic, or if someone drinks too much. However it is illegal to drink drunk, it is common sense not to drink and drive, yet people do it, and it is illegal. Infact if you look at studies, messing around with your cell phone or radio or GPS causes your reaction times to be slowed the same amount as driving after drinking, or even more so. Texting while driving is a danger to others, you are not just taking your life in your hands, you are taking the life of that family in the minivan in the lane next to you when you choose to pay more attention to your cell phone than your responsibilities when you are behind the wheel. The difference is that you are a danger to the public when you choose not to pay attention while driving a car and you are only a danger to yourself when you drink or eat so much sugar as to develop diabetes you are only a danger to yourself.

Do you see the difference between not paying attention while driving and drinking or eating too much candy?
No effect on others? Tell that to the families and friends of the morbidly obese. Tell that to the health care companies that raise all our premiums because of the rise of obesity and diabetes in this country. I would argue that junk food represents are far more widespread threat to the general health of our nation than sending text messages while driving. Does that mean I feel junk food should be illegal? No.

And just so you know, I am a libertarian, that mean minimal government interference in our private lives, however the safety of the general public trumps "rights" of the individual.
Clearly we have different definitions of libertarian.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
saqwarrior: Those are bad examples, not because they're over the top or anything, but it's because they all carry the same flaw. There's already laws protecting other people in those examples, while none protecting yourself. I don't care what people do to themselves, while if it affect another party, then yes, if it's unsafe and common sense, it just shows how stupid people are that they need to be told.

Jewpac42: Perfect response, other than a few typos, I couldn't have worded it any better myself.
Look, the crux of my argument is simple: this law is a trojan horse built by state government under the guise of insuring public safety, but with the clear intent of filling the state's coffers with money gained from fines. There are already laws in place that protect people from unsafe drivers; it is already against the law to crash into another car, for example. If someone is swerving in and out of other lanes, they can be ticketed with reckless driving and unsafe lane changes. The list goes on. An additional law is unnecessary and superfluous.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Originally Posted by Lboogie
Yup, that's why you cant mount your radar detector to the windshield. Mount to the dash or from the rear view mirror mount/headliner & its otay. I been complaining about the fact that you can't mount radar detector (device it legal to have in CA) to the glass but, you could mount a GPS or XM receiver which are usually bulkier...but they were okay because they didn't interfere with law enforcement/revenue generation.
Built in countermeasures FTW!!
Sensor next to the plate, And two more behind the grills.

Another sensor above the plate..

These will get mounted better and hidden on the new widebody.
Rolling stealth since 1998
Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
banned

B.T.W. We need the STUPID LAW the Arizona has.
Do something stupid... $500 fine 1st time.

Then get rid of all these petty stupid *** laws. All there to protect the stupid and slow the smart.

Just protect them with one blanket law.. The Stupid Law.. Works very well in AZ
Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Speed limits do not stop those who want to speed. I regularly drive at a speed that I feel is safe for the road conditions, which rarely coincides with the posted limits. The argument could be made that removing speed limits might actually decrease accidents related to reckless driving; Germany has no speed limit on their freeways (autobahn), and they have better safety records than other European countries with general speed limits.

(As an aside, the psychology of removing speed limits having the effect of cutting back accidents is an interesting one: people have posited that because there is no speed limit, people will drive more conscientiously because they know there is an increased risk.)

If it was a case of the government really wanting to protect us, they would make an all-encompassing "anti-distraction" law. As it stands, I see people driving and reading, driving and putting on makeup, driving and watching television, et al, yet none of these things are illegal and most have been going on for much longer than mobile phones have even existed.

And there already are things that protect against people who drive and put the lives of others in danger: insurance, for starters.

No effect on others? Tell that to the families and friends of the morbidly obese. Tell that to the health care companies that raise all our premiums because of the rise of obesity and diabetes in this country. I would argue that junk food represents are far more widespread threat to the general health of our nation than sending text messages while driving. Does that mean I feel junk food should be illegal? No.

Clearly we have different definitions of libertarian.
The requirements to get a liscense in Germany are much more stringent than here in America, I am all for that as well. And just becuase this law doesnt mention reading or any other activity doesnt mean I think that is OK either, and there should be a law against it.

The morbidly obese do that to themselves, and it does not affect people they do not know in the same way that driving while texting has the potential to affect people. And junk food should have better warnings abiout health risks, just like cigarettes and tobacco, often people dont know the hazards of unhealthy eating, like they do other unhealthy activities.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Look, the crux of my argument is simple: this law is a trojan horse built by state government under the guise of insuring public safety, but with the clear intent of filling the state's coffers with money gained from fines. There are already laws in place that protect people from unsafe drivers; it is already against the law to crash into another car, for example. If someone is swerving in and out of other lanes, they can be ticketed with reckless driving and unsafe lane changes. The list goes on. An additional law is unnecessary and superfluous.
And my argument is simple too, it is very dangerous to drive while texting, it greatly slows your reaction times down and is a danger to those on the road around you and if people do not have enough common sense to realize that texting while driving could seriously injure or even kill someone, including yourself, then the government has a responsibility to protect the majority from the irresponsible actions of a few.

And yes, there should be fines for watching tv, which is illegal by the way, or reading while driving as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:40 PM

That doesn't change the fact that you're breaking the law. Speed limits have a number of factors involved which engineering surveys are conducted every so many years to ensure that it is still a reasonable limit. In fact, you can use these surveys to get out of speeding tickets even if you're going faster than the posted limit. However most people can't even drive safe at posted speed limits (shown by them turning and not being able to stay in their lane). Also, the autobahn does have a speed limit, which they imposed to REDUCE accidents. Not to mention, California probably has the easiest test in the world to get your license. So, that argument doesn't work that it may reduce accidents.

While I believe it would be great if the government did impose such a law, it would be extremely hard to get the law drafted in such a way where "anti-distraction" isn't used in an extremely interpretive way. However, that's only a fantasy which most likely could never come to pass.

Insurance doesn't protect the driver who wasn't doing anything wrong. It doesn't reimburse the time it may take to heal from an accident, childhood trauma if a child is in the car, or many other factors. Money doesn't solve everything. I have a friend who is without his right arm because of a car accident that wasn't his fault.

This is your first point, where I don't find it extremely easy to rebuttal, however here's my attempt. Families and friends are directly connected to a morbidly obese person. Overeating and gluttony are an addiction, and family and friends can try and help someone overcome this problem. However, a driver in the lane next to you has no way of telling you not to text, or to not swerve into their lane while you're texting.

Raising health care premiums is just statistics. While I have to pay a small bit more constantly, the increase is worth my life, which can be taken away by a texting driver, but (unless I'm horrible with money) shouldn't be taken away by a small increase in health care premiums.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by I<3subie
B.T.W. We need the STUPID LAW the Arizona has.
Do something stupid... $500 fine 1st time.

Then get rid of all these petty stupid *** laws. All there to protect the stupid and slow the smart.

Just protect them with one blanket law.. The Stupid Law.. Works very well in AZ
You do know that the "Stupid Motorist" Law in Arizona is just a law that makes it illegal for someone to drive around a road block to enter a flooded road, right?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:11 PM

STI-owns-evo and jewpac, you both make very good points, but unfortunately I do not agree with you. I could continue a point-by-point rebuttal, but I don't see this cycle of debate ending any time soon. As far as I'm concerned, more laws = less personal liberty.

I do appreciate the fact that both of you seem to be able to have a reasonable discussion about this even though we have opposing viewpoints. I only wish more people were capable of that. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 PM

As far as I'm concerned, more laws = less personal liberty.
There's no questioning that part, I completely agree with you there.

I do appreciate the fact that both of you seem to be able to have a reasonable discussion about this even though we have opposing viewpoints. I only wish more people were capable of that. Thank you.
Same to you.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 AM
banned

You do know that the "Stupid Motorist" Law in Arizona is just a law that makes it illegal for someone to drive around a road block to enter a flooded road, right?

It covers more then that, Just most know it for that. As the asshat in the hummer made it well known by doing just that,
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by I<3subie
It covers more then that, Just most know it for that. As the asshat in the hummer made it well known by doing just that,
Everything I'm finding says that it only relates to motorists entering flooded roadways. Perhaps you have a more comprehensive source of info?

Originally Posted by KVOA News 4, Tuscon AZ
"The Stupid Motorist Law as it's commonly referred to is basically a law that says that in the event that a lower lying roadway or area is flooded, it's barricaded, and you drive around the barricade, you can be billed for that," said Joel Peterson, Risk Manager for the City of Tucson's Department of Finance; Risk Management Division.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:18 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
Honestly, just another reason to hate stupid California. This place has become the worst state to live in. No jobs. More government bs. Earthquakes. Fires. Bad drivers. Bad attitudes. Nasty people. What else... please feel free to add to my list.
So why not leave?

But for many, its the best - my company is hiring like gangbusters, I love (overall) what government is doing....

Quick Reply: New Jan 1st GPS Placement Law?