New Jan 1st GPS Placement Law?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by jpdriver
This law has been in place for years but it only applied to stickers, for sale signs, parking permits, etc. Now they've discovered that some people aren't smart enough to keep their GPS/Navigator from blocking their view of the road and added these devices to the existing law. What's funny is, the law only applies if the device is stuck to your windshield. Some people stick them on the dash, possibly blocking their view, and are legal.

BTW it gives an officer probable cause to stop you and then they can look your car over a little closer for other violations.

Be safe folks, don't block your view when driving.
I keep my radar detector front and center as well as the gps when I use it. Makes it so I never take my eyes off the road in front of me, which is safer than looking to the side... it's only 3x3... no different than a HOOD SCOOP blocking that view
Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
Honestly, just another reason to hate stupid California. This place has become the worst state to live in. No jobs. More government bs. Earthquakes. Fires. Bad drivers. Bad attitudes. Nasty people. What else... please feel free to add to my list.
all sorts of lame taxes to bail the state out of the huge deficit coming to everything near you soon

big gov ftl
Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

is this just another law that will go ignored? look at how many drivers hold the phone in their hands and have it on a speaker. they think they're smart asses doing it that way. the sucks, but the people suck more.

sorry, i am just hating today.
I threw my blue tooth away 2 weeks into July last year... have texted and driven with the phone on my ear since...

atleast all of the government fearing, lame-law-abiding OLD people that COULDN'T text or talk while driving because they running off the road stopped for the most part.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by medicSTi
all sorts of lame taxes to bail the state out of the huge deficit coming to everything near you soon

big gov ftl
and our jackass governor mr. arnold is raping this state. look at him taking a flight from southern california to sacramento daily to work just a couple of hours and not doing anything. the problem is not him. the problem is all those that voted for him. we vote for a government because someone is cute or we like them in a movie.... what the hell is wrong with us? this is the stress that is killing california.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

and our jackass governor mr. arnold is raping this state. look at him taking a flight from southern california to sacramento daily to work just a couple of hours and not doing anything. the problem is not him. the problem is all those that voted for him. we vote for a government because someone is cute or we like them in a movie.... what the hell is wrong with us? this is the stress that is killing california.
ka lee for nia is doomed
Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
is this just another law that will go ignored? look at how many drivers hold the phone in their hands and have it on a speaker. they think they're smart asses doing it that way. the sucks, but the people suck more.

sorry, i am just hating today.
wanna go for a drive? photosession?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Good idea to go on a drive!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
yes, i do need a relief... let's drive out to nevada.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm reminded of a song...

I've only walked out on one single movie
It was an action adventure, it was a blood-sucking summer.
And the posters in the lobby of the theater called it "Predator," I called it weak and unwatchable
Carl Weathers and two future governors, you know that's really unacceptable.
We gotta stop falling for these double speakers from the double features
We gotta keep 'em in the theaters.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
I don't believe either is necessary; a Nanny-state is only a few short steps away from totalitarianism.
If people do not have common sense then common sense needs to be legislated.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jewpac42
Well, that's certainly one opinion. The beauty of our system is that you're entitled to it. But what if we live in a system where we start legislating safety as a matter of course? What happens when someone deems your opinion unsafe? Or your beliefs unsafe? I believe therein lies the risk of legislating "common sense."

But hey, that's just me.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I saw the law when i bought mine over a year ago.. but i didnt use it much cus of not going anywhere plus i took it out of car so no one broke into it for a stupid gps..
Old 12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Well, that's certainly one opinion. The beauty of our system is that you're entitled to it. But what if we live in a system where we start legislating safety as a matter of course? What happens when someone deems your opinion unsafe? Or your beliefs unsafe? I believe therein lies the risk of legislating "common sense."

But hey, that's just me.
+123 because +1 wasn't enough
Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jewpac42
lol that is so ridiculous...
Old 12-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82

But hey, that's just me.
My opinion isnt going to run over a pedestrian because someone behind the wheel is paying more attention to a phone call or text message than to what is going on on the road. It shouldnt take the government to tell you that text messaging while driving is a bad idea, but since 95% of the population cannot figure that one out on their own, we need someone to tell the 95% of the population that are morons that they shouldnt be texting and driving.

Quick Reply: New Jan 1st GPS Placement Law?