New help picking a cell phone service and phone

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by Jodice112
My friend has that phone and I have to admit the 3D camera is pretty damn cool. You have to look at it just right but when you do, the pictures look amazing.

Makes me despise my iPhone sometimes
Originally Posted by Gibz
It is truly a great phone! I actually enjoy playing with the 3d as do others when they mess with my phone. Took some nice shots at bam with it lol but ya go into sprint and check them out you can't go wrong with this phone

And you are welcome
Oh ya, forgot it has a 3d cam to. That should be fun as I like taking pics. Pretty stoked it's got unlimited 4g, front cam, and will work back home. Seems like it's pretty big but i'm sure i'll like it a lot.

Any tips on where to buy? Sprint store is the obvious choice, but I heard that independent stores can sometime hook it up with better deal. What about best buy?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
t mobile is GREAT in LA the 4g they have kicks ***!! sprint and verizon are not that great in the surrounding LA area. T mobile also has a great deal on a data plan that only $10 a month and an everything package for $59 right now! if you lock it in before the full at&t merge you will be in great shape!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by snowflow
Oh ya, forgot it has a 3d cam to. That should be fun as I like taking pics. Pretty stoked it's got unlimited 4g, front cam, and will work back home. Seems like it's pretty big but i'm sure i'll like it a lot.

Any tips on where to buy? Sprint store is the obvious choice, but I heard that independent stores can sometime hook it up with better deal. What about best buy?
I'd say go to a Sprint store. I'm sure their reps know more about the service and the phones then the people at Bestbuy Mobile (no offense!)
Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
The evo 3d is I bit smaller than the original evo 4g. If it seems big to you, you will also get used to it. And lol when you get used to it and try to use smaller phones it's weird haha. I can't say much about going to 3rd party places as I have always gone to sprint in palo alto on university ave. Also being grandfathered into their account for some time now I walked away paying 170 for the phone. Again I can't answer for what exact price you will pay but doesn't hurt to I guess check it out and then compare to 3rd party stores.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Not exactly correct Matt. I have several friends in la and they use sprint with no troubles at all.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Not exactly correct Matt. I have several friends in la and they use sprint with no troubles at all.
it can go on forever, you like sprint, I dont lol, i lived in LA and can tell you that sprint has the worst service because all the getlo people have boost and it runs off sprint so it really slows down the network. T mobile is rated best in LA. why would I like I work for at&t so I should be telling him to go that way lol
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM

This has nothing to do with what I like or not lol I was just saying all my friends in la are on sprint and they have all told me they get good service and Internet. Heck some of them use sprint data as their sole Internet source. Has nothing to do with what I like or don't like as I don't live there.

As you already stated above the tmobile is going to merge with AT&T so in a way you are still suggesting what you work for lol. And I am guessing you haven't lived in la in a while at least the last 3 or so years since I have known you and sprint has changed a lot in those years so I was just simply stating what my friends say that are currently using sprint in the la area.

Last edited by Gibz; 08-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
it can go on forever, you like sprint, I dont lol, i lived in LA and can tell you that sprint has the worst service because all the getlo people have boost and it runs off sprint so it really slows down the network. T mobile is rated best in LA. why would I like I work for at&t so I should be telling him to go that way lol
Ya, it's tough to choose. I saw the tmobile deal and the rep told me about the grandfathering into a good deal. I might do that, but only downside is that tmobile doesnt really work back home. But I can also use a sim card to get new phones. The price is good to.
Sprint sounds good and all. I don't know how good it is there but i'm not in need of the very best. Just needs to work and make good calls and text well for the most part.
I'm gonna consider tmobile to because of the deal. What phone is good on that plan?

been looking at the evo 3d. Looks great but i'd probably not use the 3d. Burns too much battery. Wish the call quality was better though.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM

I really like the $59 unlimited tmobile plan. So how does that cheap plan get me an android phone? I'm guessing they're gonna make me pay full price for it. Or does it come at a cheaper price for new customers?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 96 gm(sold), 98 bk, 02 sf
Check if you can get a discount for being a student. I think I get 20% from sprint.
I think Sprint has the most incentives, but I not sure if you qualify for the 125 credit since you had pay-as-you-go service.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 PM

He has AT&T pay as you go I believe he said so if he did go to spri t he will get new customer deals.

As for the battery comment about the 3d phone. I was actually shocked how well my battery does last especially using the 3d. One day I was playing with it and didn't charge it for 17 hrs I believe. And for talk time I had 2/3 battery and was on a 8 hr phone call and when I hung up it said it needed charging. And lol no I normally don't talk for 8 hrs but it was a friend I had been friends with for 20 years and lost contact for last 6 years so we had a lot to catch up on.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
I'd say go sprint, root your phone so you can steal verizons 4g network and tether your phone for free. Oh and Instead of charging my phone all the time, I bought 2 batteries and a battery charger for 9 dollars shipped
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
I'm paying $70/ month for unlimited everything at T-mo
Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
If you are in the hills, T-Mobile is gonna be hard to beat.
T-Mobile has a service where the phone will automatically route calls through either Cell Towers or local WiFi depending on which is stronger.

At my house where no cell reception works well, this is a godsend.

LOVE my Mytouch 4G Slide
Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 PM

He has AT&T pay as you go I believe he said so if he did go to spri t he will get new customer deals.

As for the battery comment about the 3d phone. I was actually shocked how well my battery does last especially using the 3d. One day I was playing with it and didn't charge it for 17 hrs I believe. And for talk time I had 2/3 battery and was on a 8 hr phone call and when I hung up it said it needed charging. And lol no I normally don't talk for 8 hrs but it was a friend I had been friends with for 20 years and lost contact for last 6 years so we had a lot to catch up on.
So that's good then. It's their best phone I think.

Originally Posted by azer408
I'd say go sprint, root your phone so you can steal verizons 4g network and tether your phone for free. Oh and Instead of charging my phone all the time, I bought 2 batteries and a battery charger for 9 dollars shipped
Not a bad idea. What's rooting? (I could easily google this to lol) I'm already going to have dsl in my apt so I don't think I need to do this, but if it's free, then why not. Good idea on the battery.

Originally Posted by rau
I'm paying $70/ month for unlimited everything at T-mo
Ya, it's a good deal. Their $59.99 unlimited plan is really good looking to, but I don't know how it works with getting a discounted phone like when you sign a 2 year agreement.

I found that tmobile also has some kind of student discount but I don't know how it applies to the value plan.

Sprint has the best incentive so I think I just need to go to a store (long drive, I live in teh mtns.) and compare the prices between both plans and weight my options. I like the htc sensation most, personally.

Originally Posted by Lowend
If you are in the hills, T-Mobile is gonna be hard to beat.
T-Mobile has a service where the phone will automatically route calls through either Cell Towers or local WiFi depending on which is stronger.

At my house where no cell reception works well, this is a godsend.

LOVE my Mytouch 4G Slide
Ya, funny, because where I live tmobile sucks. Att is ok until you get way up the hill and verizon is king here, which leads me to suspect sprint works best here since it roams on verizon towers.

Quick Reply: New help picking a cell phone service and phone