New cars under 20k thats RWD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Originally Posted by thebankman
If you don't know how to drive manual transmission, it's not worth getting a RWD car. You won't be upping your skills with an automatic. Just get an old manual transmission car and learn.
the thing is...id ahve to buy an old manual transmission car to learn on..and thats my problem..getting the car...if iwanted an old car id have to get a job and pay for it myself, my parents arent gonna pay for sure, so..gotta look for a job, and...right now i still ahve school so thats pretty hard. so..hopefully ill find one by the summer.

Originally Posted by SammySJ99
To bad you don't like fun FWD cars... You could get an SRT if you did... Sticker price is just under 20k
hmm...sorry to say, but im just one of those asian guys who dislike neons...im not a domestic hater...i have respect for those cars, but..i would not own one...its an asian thing =\

Originally Posted by -j-
If you could find a nice 240 for about $5K then put another $5K, you would be set. Only problem is it would probably disappear as soon as you park it.
if i go this route, ill have to save up anda gain..school and junk, but ill definitely buy a 240, rx-7, 2nd generation supras , most 85-99 import sports cars

Originally Posted by SUBYBUS
Everybody is working. Some more than others.

But back to the topic.

Not be a pain, but since your parents are buying you the car, you get what you get.
So save up, move out then get yourself into car loan debt life!
i dont want to get into a car loan debt, when i move out, ill have to take care of myself with all teh bills and getting my own home and paying for expenses, its gonna be so hard, if im gonna enjoy life..its gonna be right now with my parent's money

Originally Posted by n192da
What about an E36 M3?

It's used, but certainly one of the best handling cars in the "under $20k" price range. I believe in 1995 some car magazine (Car and Driver?) rated it as the best handling car of the year... including Porsches and Ferraris.

if its a used car, then its gonna be in the 5k range cuz id have to pay for it myself

Originally Posted by GG STi15
I say 2.5 RS...you can push the practicality of AWD in the rain...yada yada yada...it will handle better than any other NEW rwd car under $20...Aaaaaand you wont be tempted to do burnouts at a stop light someday after it rains (while a cop is hidden behind the bushes). Trust me, AWD might save you from stupid "exibition of speed" tickets. Once you get out of school and save some money, you could really make the 2.5 an AWESOME car. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

GG
if bought a 2.5RS for like 18,000 dollar...thats around 8000 less than the WRX, assuming u can find one for 26,000, im gonna want to start modding it..and before i know it, i wouldve spent that 8000 in mods and its just ...not worth it. my thinking is..if im gonna get an impreza..its either a wrx or nothing at all, because..i cant settle for a 2.5RS, its like..a wannabe, hopefully i didnt offend the 2.5rs driver, i know moeny is tough, and i dont have any so i understand.

Originally Posted by crazy_sherm
man, if your parents are gonna pay for your car, just suck it up and drive whatever they give you. There will always be time when you get finish school and get a job, to get the car you want. You'll also have the freedom to do whatever you want with it then.
the thing is..when i finish school and get a job..i might not care about cars anymore...ill be old and..outta the car phase and..it'll be sad, plus whats the point of having a nice car when ur older..people will think "midlife crisis", not that i care what they think...its just...too far away.

ok guys, thanks for all your input, and this dicussion is pretty much over, thanks for all your help, its tough thinking of a good rwd car thats new under 20k thats..not used...and not a mustang or some other non japanese import car, which im looking for. go i-club, you all are great!

sorrry for the long post
Old 02-16-2005, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
If you got $500 to burn, go on craigslist and buy a '75-'85 Celica to learn on. Once you are done, sell it again for $500.

I bought a pretty nice '78 GT 5spd coupe for a buddy as a B-day present last year. It cost $400 and he has been driving it every day since. Those things are hard to kill. I have an '80 coupe as my track car. Fun, light RWD, cheap, durable. Not a bad combo. Registration was $37 last year and insurance so cheap. If you find a pre '76 car, it's smog excempt. These cars like to be abused. I have had the same clutch in my '80 since '00 and done well over 1000 HARD miles on race tracks.

-Jacob
Old 02-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
hey, thats a great idea, i do look on craigslist and i see those old rx-7s or mr2s for like..1500, but..finding a 500 dollar beater is not that easy..one of my friends wanted to do that too, but yeah, ill just have to keep looking, thanks!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Car Info: Not a subie!
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
the thing is..when i finish school and get a job..i might not care about cars anymore...ill be old and..outta the car phase and..it'll be sad, plus whats the point of having a nice car when ur older..people will think "midlife crisis", not that i care what they think...its just...too far away.

Okay just for that comment I'm not going to help you any more!
Midlife crisis! Ha! I sold my WRX already!

j/k!

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
..finding a 500 dollar beater is not that easy..one of my friends wanted to do that too, but yeah, ill just have to keep looking, thanks!
Huh?? I just went to craigslist and typed "celica" and put $700 as a max price and found PAGES of them. There is one I am gonna look at even. Many under $300. My first Celica was an '80 Coupe I bought for $150 in Berkeley. It was a wonderful ugly car.

-Jacob
Old 02-16-2005, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon (RIP)
You'll be what? 22 when you finish college? Man, if that's old to you, you just hurt half this boards feelings anyway, you will never grow outa being into cars...just your gf/wife will.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:28 AM

Car Info: 06' White GDF 18x10 Wrong Fitment Crew #001
so r u gonna get a stick or auto? if ur getting an auto it doesnt really matter what car u get.

some used S2000s r under $20k, but too bad ur only limited to new cars.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:40 AM

Car Info: 05 sti blue
look at scion tc