The "NEW" 2009 STI, some great info to read

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 AM

Car Info: Fast
Why put more power into the stock STI? To allow it to win a few comparisons vs the EVO in Car and Driver? Not to mention screwing up the power band...

Besides the fact that more HP will make maintaining emissions increasingly difficult, you assume that everybody wants more HP. A stage 2 STI or WRX with VF-39 is a damned good setup for a street Subie. Top end is lacking, but this is not intended as a drag or track car. It has what makes the car the most fun for a daily driven car, low end torque

The people who want more power are going to give it more power, regardless how much it has from the factory. What the car really NEEDS is to reduce body roll and understeer out of the box, so that driving the car in stock form is more enjoyable.

Then again, the people who want to reduce understeer and body roll will modify accordingly!!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
ima H6 my RS
Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Originally Posted by aboothman
Why put more power into the stock STI? To allow it to win a few comparisons vs the EVO in Car and Driver? Not to mention screwing up the power band...

Besides the fact that more HP will make maintaining emissions increasingly difficult, you assume that everybody wants more HP. A stage 2 STI or WRX with VF-39 is a damned good setup for a street Subie. Top end is lacking, but this is not intended as a drag or track car. It has what makes the car the most fun for a daily driven car, low end torque

The people who want more power are going to give it more power, regardless how much it has from the factory. What the car really NEEDS is to reduce body roll and understeer out of the box, so that driving the car in stock form is more enjoyable.

Then again, the people who want to reduce understeer and body roll will modify accordingly!!
I agree, fix the handling first. If the car wont act right when you try to flex the motors muscle, you wont be using the full amount of available thrust. Changing anything with the motor means EPA/emission rigamaroll...handling/suspension not so much.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Haandling will be harder to fix. They want understeer. Lawyers want understeer. 95% of u.s. drivers cant drive anything else but that. When they crash they sue.

So I think understeer is hear to stay. Last tire engineer meeting I was at they talked about this. Car builders setting the cars up for major understeer and then blaming the tires or telling the tire companies to fix it aftermarket.

So there was a few benchmark cases that was lost in the 80's over manafactures having centered or oversteering cars. Some people spun their cars out driving too fast around a corner and went head on with traffic killing a bunch of people. Well the lawyers sued everyone and so now we get to pay the price.

They all voted understeer was safer for the genreal public.

Subaru really need to get back on point with this car.

They say rally inspired... More like BMW.. They need to make a wrx L and make it a baller model / BMW and keep the STi a nurbergrig car. They are getting their asses handed to them be everything under the sun now. I'm glad they dont make a colt anymore. That would be shamefull.

Make a :
WRX target (Mazda, Honda)
Cheap copy of below for school kids, people that want to be seen in a fast car but without the cost.

WRX L target (BMW,MB, What Ever)
Use the STi limited for set up mix it with some MB/BMW crap.

STi target (Vette, 911, m cars Evo's, Skylines)
Stripper down make it like a lotus. Nice light weight seats, bigger turbo, better handling, More performance. They have the know how, They just need to do it.

I really think it could work
Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
We don't need bigger engines with more power, we need lighter WRX's/STi's with less bulk and useless crap in them!

Oh, and right on the money regarding the American car market and understeering. Anyone feel like demonizing the MR-2 Turbo some more?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
With the 09 wrx now at 265hp and faster then the 08 sti Subaru really had to step up the game when it came to the 09 sti. The 09 sti is said to have between 320-330hp. That should be able to get time times of the 09 sti into the 12's and 4.3 to 60mph. I still think that the problem is hot the 330hp but the weight of the new sti.

A link for people to read and see the video on the new 09 sti.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/717411...s_inside_line/

PLEASE DISCUSS...
sorry, i'm not going to sit through the video, but how is the '09 wrx faster than the '08 sti. is that some forum posts on the board or just their opinion or proven figures? please link! the only reason they put the wrx with 265hp is so they could have an extra line to compete with the Lancer Ralliart. 2.5GT vs. Ralliart, STi vs EVO... WRX in a class of its own. it didn't/doesn't mean (as already proven) that they had to do anything at all with the STi.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
We don't need bigger engines with more power, we need lighter WRX's/STi's with less bulk and useless crap in them!

Oh, and right on the money regarding the American car market and understeering. Anyone feel like demonizing the MR-2 Turbo some more?
I agree. I am tired of heavy/big cars. What I think would make me fall in love with Subaru again would be a small, lighter, beautifully suspended coupe in the spirit of the 22B. No sunroof or superfluous crap unless you really want it. With all these "retro" cars why not a refreshed version of the GM6 chassis that harks back to the '93-'01 but is stiff, spartan and has a completely aluminum suspension... High revving 2.0, close ratio 6spd, cloth seats, no stereo... We could have the fluffy cars too, but I mean...
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I agree. I am tired of heavy/big cars. What I think would make me fall in love with Subaru again would be a small, lighter, beautifully suspended coupe in the spirit of the 22B. No sunroof or superfluous crap unless you really want it. With all these "retro" cars why not a refreshed version of the GM6 chassis that harks back to the '93-'01 but is stiff, spartan and has a completely aluminum suspension... High revving 2.0, close ratio 6spd, cloth seats, no stereo... We could have the fluffy cars too, but I mean...
You, sir, just made me touch myself a little bit
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
i wonder if they still have the molds to make all the parts! how cool would that be? closest thing to going back in time.

Jeep still makes the "classic" boxy Cherokee, or they did a few years ago at least.

If it aint broke, dont fix it!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Maybe I am biased.. I own 5 cars and the largest/heaviest one is a 2009 Honda Fit Sport.