Never trust a salesmen....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
Never trust a salesmen....

So I bought a used 2006 Subaru WRX Limited Wagon with 12k miles in October. When going through all the paperwork I asked to see the carfax report to make sure this car had a clean title. I was surprised to find the car had an accident and I asked the sales staff to see more information to see what exactly happened. Not surprisingly they did not have any information. I was ready to walk out of the place and atleast sleep on the decision. As I was walking out the manager of the dealership asked me what they could do to have me leave with the car tonight. They eventually offered to lower the price of the car.

As I was signing the paperwork I had many concerns about the accident. So they added a clause stating that if the car was in a major contact that I could return the car and they would rewind the contract. I thought at the time what a win - win because it was exactly the car I was looking for.

I later bought my own carfax report and was very disapointed to see the information I did not see on the dealers carfax report which had more information on the accident. It said that the car was in a collision and turnover. I quickly got a diagnostic scheduled to make sure the car was okay(Thanks LIC Motosports)...

When I brought the car in and it was up on the rack you could clearly see that the suspension was replaced. I was told that they used all OEM parts and did a good job, minus putting the front struts on the wrong side...I had a guy at work check out the bodywork that was done on the car and he said that the bodywork they did seemed to be a good job, minus some repainting...

My question to all of you is this...what should I do? I love this car and everything seems to be checking out fine, but I feel disapointed. I thought buying a car should of been a more enjoyable experience. I obviously should have of gotten more information on the accident before I bought the car to avoid the headaches. Having known about a major accident I would of had more bargaining power or either steered clear of the car. I have spoken with the manager of the dealership and he is kind of just pushing me to the side (to be expected). I am going to be speaking with the GM soon.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
If they did not disclose all the information to you, get all the paperwork they showed you and went over with you and see if you can handle it one on one. Usually they will say you have to talk with there lawyer and go from there. It seems like they did not disclose a major accident which is bad, but I do not legally know if you do anything. I would talk to the GM or talk to a lawyer

Last edited by VRT Gump; 12-07-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 02 wagon
well for one you should contact the salesman who sold it to you and let him know what happened, he witheld information which was backed up contractually so you could actually sue for that, though its not really worth it. i say you ask for some sort of appeasement , i'm not in the same line of work but i am in the field of sales management , so depending on what kind of salesman he is, he'll try to save face and give you some sort of appeasement. but its up to you, if you like the car and it checks out to be ok, i would keep it since you'll be eventually modding it ( probably, hahah). goodluck with everything, if he doesn't comply with you, i would tell him that you would go to the Better Business Bureau, you wont get instant gratification, but it will definitely leave a mark later down the line, goodluck bro!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5i
I would ask myself a few questions:
1. Does it look good?
2. Does it drive well?
3. Was the price right?
4. Was it fixed correctly and/or can anything left over be fixed easily?
It seems like it's a yes to all of those... I'd probably be happy to have a great car at a discount.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
where did you buy this car?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
Originally Posted by shawnpdillon
I would ask myself a few questions:
1. Does it look good?
2. Does it drive well?
3. Was the price right?
4. Was it fixed correctly and/or can anything left over be fixed easily?
It seems like it's a yes to all of those... I'd probably be happy to have a great car at a discount.
You're right. The price wasn't that discounted. I would of definately been able to bargain a little more imo.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
as a sales person i am very offended.. but also as a salesperson i know we're all scum ahhaha
Old 12-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
you'll find another one... go get your money back!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 PM

I was in a similar situation. But I did not know of the accident during the purchase. I had to retain a lawyer and eventually got my money back, but I had to pay the lawyer. But I would rather pay the lawyer a few thousand dollars then get stuck with a $45k used, crashed Lexus.

In your situation, it really depends on what was contractually agreed to since you knew about the accident and still proceeded to buy the car.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by evsoul
as a sales person i am very offended.. but also as a salesperson i know we're all scum ahhaha
Nice :/
Old 12-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Red face

I think this is pretty straight forward, you have a 'buy out' clause ~ use it. Come armed with your Car Fax and contract with the clause~ either talk to the dealer's lawyer or the GM.

Tell them you want to exercise your option as stated on the contract. If they do not honor it you will sue the company for 'non-disclosure' and report them to the BBB. Was this at a Subaru dealership? If it was, report it to SOA as well (if you get any grief from the selling dealership). If you didn't buy it from a Suby dealer... As you should have, you may be in for a long ride. BUT, you will win.

You'll get your money back trust me. Just stand your ground and don't be whimp.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX, tuned by Ed@EQ
hmm makes me wonder if my wrx was in a crash before i bought it from the dealer...

imo, since you don't seem to know 100% of the details about the wreck and exactly what was damaged, get your money back. sure the car may check out now, and i say this with very minimal experience, but you never know what may happen in the long run.

if it were me, i'd be afraid of something breaking down the road that could put me/others in danger...things that are not meant to break sans a major wreck.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 PM

Car Info: 04 WRB Sti/05 Titan
No questions asked...just return the car. There's plenty of cars out there.

I'm in sales, I deal with people and contracts daily...full disclosure, no exceptions.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by StupidDent
you'll find another one... go get your money back!
good call leo!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 PM

Car Info: 05' AW STi
I'm affraid to check my carfax.... I won't do it. I'd rather not know

Quick Reply: Never trust a salesmen....