Need your advice on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
I think personally for 99% of the people out there springs will do, the folks that race their cars for the most part understand what they will be getting into with coilovers and understand the service related tasks that await them.

We see a lot of people with the popular cheap brands of coilovers that are mainly purchased 1 for their price point and 2 because they want to run the car aggressively low or herra frush!

The majority of the above actually have a car that now handles way worse than stock but hey it was cheap, it's looks cool all low so the placebo effect comes into play.

Somethings to remember as Noah touched on is that when a car is lowered in the way a lot of folks like to the geometry on the car is now so far out of whack that without sufficient supporting mods the car will without question handle poorly, now couple this with a cheap mass produced damper (I wont mention any names but it wont take a rocket scientist to figure out) which has zero application specific R&D other than "hey look at that ish it actually fits!, box it up boys and send it to the US!" and even with the parts to make the geometry work your fighting a losing battle.

Brands I would consider for coilovers for a Subaru are,

KW V3 - fast road, very moderate track (unless you like to have them serviced ALOT!)
RCE T2's - Same as the above
Ohlins Flags - Great all round performer for the 10-12 track events a year guy
Moton Clubsports - For the person taking the tracking a little more serious than HPDE
Moton Motorsports - Serious track setups or the person who has too much money and loves name brands
JRZ - Typically motorsports only folks but also for the folks mentioned above
AST - Great for the track guys getting serious and beyond HPDE but on a budget

Mike
Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
mike...what about the cusco zero2e. won't that be good if he run on 8k/8k, and he can probably adjust the stiffness...

alan'09
Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
^ for street no and that would be like entry track rates IMHO^

street is going to be more like 8/6 rates for DD.

-Noah

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 05-15-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
Swifts ftw
Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 08
Originally Posted by ipozestu
With that little explaination here you go. Konis+Swifts+Group N tops+Sways(Cobb, Cusco, Whiteline)+End links (whiteline hd, Kartboy). This setup rocks!!! Very forgiving on the street, plenty adjustability for track. I prefer to set it and forget it. Your diving style will adjust. IMO most that run coilovers don't utilize any of the benefits. Form follows function my man.

Edit: Sidenote:
Why go Perrin? Check that... Don't go Perrin... Stay away from the progress crap too...
couldnt tell you why, good deal i guess.

But I am leaning away from perrin now.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
I think personally for 99% of the people out there springs will do, the folks that race their cars for the most part understand what they will be getting into with coilovers and understand the service related tasks that await them.

We see a lot of people with the popular cheap brands of coilovers that are mainly purchased 1 for their price point and 2 because they want to run the car aggressively low or herra frush!

The majority of the above actually have a car that now handles way worse than stock but hey it was cheap, it's looks cool all low so the placebo effect comes into play.

Somethings to remember as Noah touched on is that when a car is lowered in the way a lot of folks like to the geometry on the car is now so far out of whack that without sufficient supporting mods the car will without question handle poorly, now couple this with a cheap mass produced damper (I wont mention any names but it wont take a rocket scientist to figure out) which has zero application specific R&D other than "hey look at that ish it actually fits!, box it up boys and send it to the US!" and even with the parts to make the geometry work your fighting a losing battle.

Brands I would consider for coilovers for a Subaru are,

KW V3 - fast road, very moderate track (unless you like to have them serviced ALOT!)
RCE T2's - Same as the above
Ohlins Flags - Great all round performer for the 10-12 track events a year guy
Moton Clubsports - For the person taking the tracking a little more serious than HPDE
Moton Motorsports - Serious track setups or the person who has too much money and loves name brands
JRZ - Typically motorsports only folks but also for the folks mentioned above
AST - Great for the track guys getting serious and beyond HPDE but on a budget

Mike

Good stuff mike,

i will do my research on the brands

Thanks a bunch
Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by thaSicness
couldnt tell you why, good deal i guess.

But I am leaning away from perrin now.
look at it this way... the front sway is invisible and the rear sway might as well be. so color shouldn't matter. If it does... paint it. I painted my rear bar... both actually.

Mike is dead nuts on.

Also.... alignment is gonna make a big difference.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
look at it this way... the front sway is invisible and the rear sway might as well be. so color shouldn't matter. If it does... paint it. I painted my rear bar... both actually.

Mike is dead nuts on.

Also.... alignment is gonna make a big difference.
Yeah alignment i got covered at work.

What do you think about those under braces and links? are they worth getting?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by thaSicness
Yeah alignment i got covered at work.

What do you think about those under braces and links? are they worth getting?
I had a do luck sub frame that seemed to bring the whole thing together. I'd say that any addition rigidity you can add to the overall frame has a benefit. Again you have to ask yourself do I need it? I'm going to pick up a couple of SPT parts for for Legacy. Tower braces, subframe brace. I have no intention of tracking this car ever. What the hell...
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
There seems to be a lot of bagging on cheap coilovers.

I autoX on cheap coilovers (Helix DNA) and beat people on way more expensive coilovers week-in, week-out.

The Helix and Megans (both around $850) have adjustable front camber plates/adjustable ride height/adjustable dampening etc and are just a knock-off of a better coilover, but have all the features of a much more expensive coilover.

The people I beat have a way better ride home though. I get home with a sore back

If you just want better handling for the street you should just stick to springs/shocks combo, but if you are serious about track and autox you will need coilovers to be competitive.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I have an 05.but I'm running cobb springs. I love the ride height but have noticed they are a little squishy for me. NOTE I put them on 60K mile original struts maybe a strut upgrade would have helped.

I like the ride which is actually smoother than factory and I am hoping a rear swaybar may eliminate some of the slop.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Car Info: '08 cadillac cts
Swift springs + sways = for the win on bay area roads
Old 05-16-2009, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...pension+travel

It seems that the 08-09's are really limited on suspension travel before you hit the bump stops so springs that lower more than an inch are not recommended if you're concerned at all about performance. With that said, your best options are probably Swift Springs or 09 WRX spring/strut take-offs. I believe RCE is also developing a spring as well.

Don't underestimate a good spring/strut combo, especially for the street. Tightening the nut behind the wheel always works too
Old 05-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
OP says his car is a 08 WRX (at least thats what it says under the screen name), AGX are not made for this? I have yet to see it in a catalog from them :-( *unless Im blind, which could be the case...but I have not seen them from KYB yet.

swfits springs are all you need.

let me know

-Noah
The man has spoken....

I have swift springs on my car and I love em! Lowers my car perfectly and just the right amount of stiffness I like
Old 05-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
I absolutely love my Cusco Zero 2e's, I was a bit worried about ride quality, but I couldn't be happier, not too rough on the highway, but firm enough for a racing application, and I am serious, you can not go wrong with this package. I haven't felt all the other coilover kits, but the Cusco are great. and I highly recommend pairing with Sway bars from cusco, whiteline, with some quality endlinks...

Nothing changed my suspension, and handling more than my sways, gets rid of all the hideous understeer that subies are know for...

If you don't want to spend the cash, then you can go wrong with H&R's and koni's (yellow), and I have heard great things about the Cobb Springs, made by eibach for the spring rates that Cobb desired... Happy Shopping.

Quick Reply: Need your advice on suspension