Need your advice on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
also keep in mind when you lower the car like you want to do...you will need a slew of other items, Bump Steer Kit, I would suggest an ALK, sway bars, etc..

oh yeah we have all this in stock on the shelf too ;-)

-Noah
Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Depends on your preferences. The best would be coilovers, I don't know you you've been speaking to, but adjustable coilovers are your best bet to create the perfect drive for you. Springs are non-adjustable (well there are some) but if you want just plain springs then it'll just stay at that height.
I'm going to have to disagree with this. The only real gains to a set of coilovers vs conventional spring/adj shocks is the ability to set ride height. 99% of the people leave the ride height the same after the get it set once. Considering that a good set of coilovers is going to run you ~$3000, AND this is a street car, it's probably better to use a spring/shock combo and drop other $$ elsewhere.

I know on the earlier Imprezas Perrin Swaybars have had some fitment issues. Not sure about the newer stuff

I'll point you towards
http://www.turninconcepts.com/index....th=1_9_11_1057
They are a very honest and knowledgeable vendor. Call up, tell them about your goals and see what they reccomend
Old 05-15-2009, 11:22 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Lowend
I'm going to have to disagree with this. The only real gains to a set of coilovers vs conventional spring/adj shocks is the ability to set ride height. 99% of the people leave the ride height the same after the get it set once. Considering that a good set of coilovers is going to run you ~$3000, AND this is a street car, it's probably better to use a spring/shock combo and drop other $$ elsewhere.

I know on the earlier Imprezas Perrin Swaybars have had some fitment issues. Not sure about the newer stuff

I'll point you towards
http://www.turninconcepts.com/index....th=1_9_11_1057
They are a very honest and knowledgeable vendor. Call up, tell them about your goals and see what they reccomend
just about all early perrin parts have issues and with the 08 everything is "early".

I agree with your coil over statements for sure.

I mean ride height adjustability is why most people buy them.

Unless it's a track car then you're talking about adjustability with spring compression, rebound, etc as well as corner weighting.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
I was talking about the Perrin stuff for the GC/GD - but I guess some things never change
Old 05-15-2009, 11:38 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Lowend
I was talking about the Perrin stuff for the GC/GD - but I guess some things never change
I honestly don't know how the new stuff is. I just know that they've had a lot of fitment issues with parts in the past. My exhaust fits like crap and has some design flaws that even on first look I went... why the hell did they do that? (the mounts). and their sway bars had issues for a few generations. I think the ones they're selling now are 3rd or 4th generation designs and only work with their particular mounts.

But their stuff sure looks pretty. And despite its quirks I LOVE my exhaust. haaa.

just with suspension I'd rather go with proven. I've had too many suspension combinations on my car trying to go with stuff that "might" work. haaa.

Sorry for the offtopic ramble OP. haaaaaa. But hell... this is in the wrong part of the forums anyways. lol.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
funny how most say "get coilovers", what they dont mention is they need to be maintained, generally this is a yearly thing you have to do (just depends on mileage and what is being done with the car).

this can be most often a deal breaker for almost everyone...as spending $500-$$$$ yearly is out of the question BUT know this....all coilovers have a life on them, and when you buy a higher end setup like Ohlins, yes these need servicing too but at least you are protecting a $5k investment whereas the cheap coilovers at $900-$1,500 often cant be serviced and just blow out...Food for thought.

do what makes sense to you...my $0.02

-Noah
Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 08
Whoa, alot of imput.

Thanks guys.

I do plan on this being my daily driver ofcourse. However it deosnt mean I wont wanna auto-x it from time to time.

I guess I am looking for both of the best worlds. I want some comfort and handling.

I wanted to go with perrin because I am clueless about any suspension products out there and quality.. haha. They had a good package deal with endlinks (and they came in red) to match my wheels.

Its nice to have your car look flush but performance is what matters to me.

I dont mind spending extra money for quality at all.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
With that little explaination here you go. Konis+Swifts+Group N tops+Sways(Cobb, Cusco, Whiteline)+End links (whiteline hd, Kartboy). This setup rocks!!! Very forgiving on the street, plenty adjustability for track. I prefer to set it and forget it. Your diving style will adjust. IMO most that run coilovers don't utilize any of the benefits. Form follows function my man.

Edit: Sidenote:
Why go Perrin? Check that... Don't go Perrin... Stay away from the progress crap too...

Last edited by ipozestu; 05-15-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I would only buy coilovers if you plan on tracking the car. If all you want is a bit better handling and better looks, just get springs.

Also, dont forget that coilovers require maintenance. I have JDM pinks on my STi and used Prodrives on my old bugeye wagon. I was satisfied with both.
+1 to Prodrive. I'm quite happy with their performance on the road and on the track.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Originally Posted by ipozestu
With that little explaination here you go. Konis+Swifts+Group N tops+Sways(Cobb, Cusco, Whiteline)+End links (whiteline hd, Kartboy). This setup rocks!!! Very forgiving on the street, plenty adjustability for track. I prefer to set it and forget it. Your diving style will adjust. IMO most that run coilovers don't utilize any of the benefits. Form follows function my man.

Edit: Sidenote:
Why go Perrin? Check that... Don't go Perrin... Stay away from the progress crap too...
He has the newer 08/09
Old 05-15-2009, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jondl
He has the newer 08/09
Sooo...
Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
from what i gather there aren't a whole lotta options for them yet
Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jondl
from what i gather there aren't a whole lotta options for them yet
It's all available.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
Last year I installed Cobb springs on my 2004 STi. My only complaint is that they didn't lower the rear at all from stock STi height,which is lower than stock WRX height. The handling is better and so is the ride and ability to absorb bumps,thanks to their progressive nature.
I heard that Cobb is getting out of the hard parts business,and their website no longer shows springs.
If you go with springs,make sure to use silencers at each end of each coil to avoid annoying noises.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:14 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX, tuned by Ed@EQ
Rockin thread guys, thank you OP. I'm in the exact same boat right now. I have S-Techs that I bought in a bind, put them on my OEM shot springs and I hate life every bump of the way.

Coils seem like such a good idea, but I'm a weekend autox'r that like the set it and forget it mentality. This thread has some good info in it, keep it up!

Quick Reply: Need your advice on suspension