Need TV Advice...Paging Dr Gagan.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Since I'm not fully "in" on the TV side of the business I'm not sure. Lots of people use Panels from the same companies, and maybe other vendors are shared, but at the end of the day it takes a holistic approach to get the job done right, and people **** it up all the time. So even if, lets say, Samsung and Sony have the same panels, they are far from being the same TVs.
Right, lots of manufacturers share components, but the end product could be vastly different. But I've heard Philips TV's and LG's are actually being assembled now in the same factories, so who knows.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Any TV can look like that, it's all in how you set it up.

LEDs, like irationalx has pointed out, are only worthwhile when they are backlit, esp if they can do local dimming. I like backlit LEDs, they are best LCDs to date.
the dynmaic contrast (dimming individual LEDs in the backlight) is both good and bad. personally i turned it off because i think it offers a more consistent viewing experience.

then again, i also hate 120/240hz so i disabled it as well. maybe im wierd.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Avia calibration
If you have a bluray player I'll get you my copy of Spears and Munsil. Better, updated patterns for today. Only 3 patterns needed to calibrate, and you're golden.

You'll be surprised the difference in contrast brightness settings when using an older DVD calibration disc vs the S&M disc.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by irrational x
the dynmaic contrast (dimming individual LEDs in the backlight) is both good and bad. personally i turned it off because i think it offers a more consistent viewing experience.

then again, i also hate 120/240hz so i disabled it as well. maybe im wierd.
No, you are smart to turn off all the processing and gizmos. It's does exactly that, it makes it impossible to get a consistent image, and it's always best to turn nearly all that stuff off. I do like a dynamic black feature but only if it's mild.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
If you have a bluray player I'll get you my copy of Spears and Munsil. Better, updated patterns for today. Only 3 patterns needed to calibrate, and you're golden.

You'll be surprised the difference in contrast brightness settings when using an older DVD calibration disc vs the S&M disc.
I'd love to try a new disc. I was going to pick one up when I was at OPPO but forgot. The LG has actually got a really decent calibration function on it. The standard blk, contrast, color, hue, sharpness.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Question

What all is involved in calibrating a large display? I've calibrated smaller, PC screens, with a USB device that was puck shaped for a former client but haven't given much thought to it for my dad's plasmas.

-Brian
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
What all is involved in calibrating a large display? I've calibrated smaller, PC screens, with a USB device that was puck shaped for a former client but haven't given much thought to it for my dad's plasmas.

-Brian
Not much.

With the S&M Bluray disc you'd use only 3 patterns:

1) Contrast pattern - Adjust contrast and brightness so that all white bars are visible at the bottom, and black bars 17-24 are visible at the top

2) HD Color Bars - Look through the color filter provided, match the filtered blue to the blue.

Incorrect:

Correct:

3) Sharpness Pattern - Black lines are to not have white haloing on the edges, reduce sharpness until this happens.

Basically it.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Old School

Well, whatever you do, don't buy a VT25... Found green bars when doing the contrast pattern. They are like 2-3 in wide in 3-5 areas of the screen. The color is horribly off on this TV. We retested out G15 unit, and that TV was perfect like my PZ800U.

I'm going to have to say that 3D is just major thumbs down, esp if manufacturers are gonna rush a TV into production.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX

is the s&m disc available in stores? i have a 46in samsung lcd (ln46a650), it is not led, im not sure if this would affect me using the s&m disc or not.. ive been wanting to calibrate my tv for a while now, i just didnt want to have to pay an arm and a leg for somebody to come out and calibrate...
Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Old School

VT25 Update: We suspect it's more a really, REALLY bad out of box calibration. As we adjust contrast the green MOVES around. So we think it's following the light, and may be able to go into the pro settings and make some changes... but still, that's just really really poor base calibration by panasonic.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by blue04WRX
is the s&m disc available in stores? i have a 46in samsung lcd (ln46a650), it is not led, im not sure if this would affect me using the s&m disc or not.. ive been wanting to calibrate my tv for a while now, i just didnt want to have to pay an arm and a leg for somebody to come out and calibrate...
I've been meaning to loan a disc to I-clubbers, but never started the thread. Once I do, just sign up on that. I send to person one, once they are done, they send to person two...

If we all play on the Honor System, everyone will get a shot, and I will get my disc back someday.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
Another quick question for you Gagan,

What blueray player do you recommend? You work for a company that makes a blueray player, right?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
baller
http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BDP83SE

budget
ps3
Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
I've been meaning to loan a disc to I-clubbers, but never started the thread. Once I do, just sign up on that. I send to person one, once they are done, they send to person two...

If we all play on the Honor System, everyone will get a shot, and I will get my disc back someday.
ya this sounds like a good idea! thats well appreciated!!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Old School

VT25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOO9E9PAdxo

Quick Reply: Need TV Advice...Paging Dr Gagan.