need a subcompact car

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Oh wow, 35 highway on the new impreza looks very convincing... Been thinking about grabbing a bucket that can go near 40mpg.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Car Info: AP1 S2k
Crz?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:32 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
You can find used 2012 VW Jetta's for $17K OTD with less than 10,000 miles on the odo
They still have 4 year factory warranty's and included maintenance
Just helped a buddy buy one. That's gonna be damn hard to beat

If can stretch the cash, The VW TDI's are pulling almost 50MPG and are damn nice cars

One of my buddy's just bought a new Prius 2 and loves it
Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 PM

Car Info: Nadda
^42mpg is not close to 50mpg. =P
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 PM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
My TSX can do 34MPG on the freeway, that's on crappy 91 octane. City can do 26MPG, but obviously city driving will vary for everyone. I've been averaging 25MPG on a tank (almost 400 miles), that's with like 20-25MPH average speed. You can go 500 miles on a tank with all freeway.

It's a luxury car, also good for a family. It's 32K sticker which seems high, but compare it to other luxury cars. They are selling it for 29K if you just ask for a deal, with more arm twisting I'm sure they'll go less. Obviously higher priced, but if you want comfort, you'll get it in this car. It handles and rides super nice, and is quiet and has nice features. The seats are freaking niice.

They advertize a 3 year lease for $299/month with $1,000 down. If you negotiate the selling price lower, lease will be lower. You can buy it out at the end of the lease, residual will be less than the value of the car. Again, higher priced, but you know it'll last -- it's a freaking Honda -- and it's a nice way to get into a pretty nice car.

Stan
Old 07-02-2012, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
IMO if your aiming for a fuel efficient car, and dont really need that "sporty" action, why not the Prius C. I know its a basically forbidden to say in the car world, but ive got to admit its a pretty okay car with the right driver behind the wheel. I drove/road one in Japan (Toyota Aqua Or Toyota PriusC i believe in America), and i must say i was pretty impressed. Although there wasn't too much power, there was enough to merge and coast. We got around 24.3km/l which is roughly 57.2mpg.

As mentioned, id also like to know why you didnt like the skyactiv, too me it just seems more worthy than a fit or a yaris in the "sport" department. Also, the 2012 impreza is one not to forget about, as the MPG isnt too far off from the cars mentioned.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
FYI - the 2012 Honda Civic has better highway mileage (39mpg) than the Honda Fit (35mpg).

I had a 2010 Honda Fit that got totalled last year. When I was looking to replace it with another Fit, I found that the Civic LX was very close to the price of a Fit Sport, but comes with better highway gas mileage. No brainer to get the Civic for me.

EDIT. A couple of good points for the Honda Fit - safety and resale value.
Safety - my brother was driving the Fit last year on the way to school. He got rear-ended and the fit smashed onto the car in front, causing the entire front-end to be destroyed. He walked off with just some minor foot pain that went away after a day or two.
Resale value - after my insurance declared the Fit as totalled, the value they assessed for it was literally less than a thousand dollars below what I bought it for. This was for a car that was a year old with over 12k miles on it. Needless to say, it barely depreciated.

Last edited by zergling; 07-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I had a 2009 Fit Sport 5spd for ~32k miles and it was great. I regret selling it, but my wife wanted a Pilot. Only thing about the Fit is that while it was great for just me bombing around, load it up with people and put bikes on the roof - you are going 45mph in 3rd up I-5. Great car though and we would regularly see 36-43mpg without the roof racks and such.

You should buy my SAAB 9-5 Aero 5spd wagon. I spent way too much maintaining/keeping it up and now it's just sitting. You can get 30-32mpg on the hwy if you drive carefully, or 25-28 if you get into the boost a little. Super fun "luxury wagon" and great for commuting/kids/hauling. Have receipts for over $7k of work over the last year including Bilstein Sport struts, new brake rotors/pads, bushings, mounts, hoses, water pump, so many things. If I didn't get my WRX back, I would never sell this car. I am thinking about keeping it now because it's between this or my Justy and the Justy is fun, but this car gets better mileage and is way more useful/fun. So...
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by stan_t
My TSX can do 34MPG on the freeway, that's on crappy 91 octane. City can do 26MPG, but obviously city driving will vary for everyone. I've been averaging 25MPG on a tank (almost 400 miles), that's with like 20-25MPH average speed. You can go 500 miles on a tank with all freeway.

It's a luxury car, also good for a family. It's 32K sticker which seems high, but compare it to other luxury cars. They are selling it for 29K if you just ask for a deal, with more arm twisting I'm sure they'll go less. Obviously higher priced, but if you want comfort, you'll get it in this car. It handles and rides super nice, and is quiet and has nice features. The seats are freaking niice.

They advertize a 3 year lease for $299/month with $1,000 down. If you negotiate the selling price lower, lease will be lower. You can buy it out at the end of the lease, residual will be less than the value of the car. Again, higher priced, but you know it'll last -- it's a freaking Honda -- and it's a nice way to get into a pretty nice car.

Stan
Did you mean 87? Does this car require 91? If I am looking for a commuter for my over 100 mile a day round trip, I don't want something that requires 91 no matter what MPG it gets. That's wasteful. You'll spend so much more in gas just to use the car.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
Originally Posted by slugrx
Curious as to why you didn't like the mazda?
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
IMO if your aiming for a fuel efficient car, and dont really need that "sporty" action, why not the Prius C. I know its a basically forbidden to say in the car world, but ive got to admit its a pretty okay car with the right driver behind the wheel. I drove/road one in Japan (Toyota Aqua Or Toyota PriusC i believe in America), and i must say i was pretty impressed. Although there wasn't too much power, there was enough to merge and coast. We got around 24.3km/l which is roughly 57.2mpg.

As mentioned, id also like to know why you didnt like the skyactiv, too me it just seems more worthy than a fit or a yaris in the "sport" department. Also, the 2012 impreza is one not to forget about, as the MPG isnt too far off from the cars mentioned.
for a 2.0 motor the mazda skyactiv just didn't seem to have the oomph to it. i stomped on the gas and it just didn't feel like it wanted to "go". maybe it's due to the fact that it's heavier. it is supposed to have the best mpg of the bunch.

if i had to rate the three cars, honda gets my vote for being the most sporty. safety wise, the yaris actually felt very solid for a little car. the mazda3 skyactiv gets the best gas mileage.

i may just need to make do with what i have for now or just get a job that is closer to home.

thanks to everyone's input.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 2000 BRP 2.5rs Coupe
My sister has a 2011 Civic, its not the slowest thing ever, gets good mpg and under $20k new, but on the other hand my parents got a 2012 altima for less than my sisters car bigger car but also gets good gas mileage around 28 mixed
Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM

Car Info: '12 TSX 6MT/'01 E39 wagon/'67 VW on E85/'93 M900
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Did you mean 87? Does this car require 91? If I am looking for a commuter for my over 100 mile a day round trip, I don't want something that requires 91 no matter what MPG it gets. That's wasteful. You'll spend so much more in gas just to use the car.
No, I meant 91 (our 91 is crappy compared to other states). It doesn't require 91, it is "recommended", but the thing has 11:1 compression ratio and no direct injection, I prefer to run premium with engines like that. I'm sure people run these on regular, some report betting better mileage too.

The engine really is sweet, revs high but also makes good torque down low. Very linear powerband. Car is a blast to drive. Check one out just for the seats alone, so comfortable and adjustable. I'm 6' with long legs and can get very comfortable, I couldn't do that in the Mazda 3 or Mazda 5 (though CX-5 was better). Speaking of, check out the CX-5 with Skyactiv, too.

OP, if you like the Fit, check out the Acuras just for the hell of it. My co-worker had an '07 Fit, it was a GREAT car, but just didn't have the power.

Stan
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
stated earlier but Prius C. Its not a matter of going green, its about getting best bang for your buck if MPG is the goal while being on a budget.

I got a prius about a year ago. My commute isn't as far as yours but I roughly fill up with costco gas once a month and it costs me $40. The first 3 years of the cars life it has free PM from toyotacare.

If you need some punch in the go, switch it to power mode when getting on the freeway. Its as fast as a Yaris

2010 Toyota Yaris 0-60 mph 9.6

2011 Toyota Prius Hybrid 0-60 mph 9.7
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
+1 on the Prius.

The Prius is a great commuter car. It will save you money on gas and you'll be less likely to spend more money and mod it with aftermarket parts.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by stan_t
No, I meant 91 (our 91 is crappy compared to other states). It doesn't require 91, it is "recommended", but the thing has 11:1 compression ratio and no direct injection, I prefer to run premium with engines like that. I'm sure people run these on regular, some report betting better mileage too.

The engine really is sweet, revs high but also makes good torque down low. Very linear powerband. Car is a blast to drive. Check one out just for the seats alone, so comfortable and adjustable. I'm 6' with long legs and can get very comfortable, I couldn't do that in the Mazda 3 or Mazda 5 (though CX-5 was better). Speaking of, check out the CX-5 with Skyactiv, too.

OP, if you like the Fit, check out the Acuras just for the hell of it. My co-worker had an '07 Fit, it was a GREAT car, but just didn't have the power.

Stan
Yea but for the price of that gas, it's not worth it. I wouldn't get rid of my WRX. And for the most part, the commuting sucks. Having a car that is a blast to drive and then mostly sitting in traffic doesn't equal. To me, the commuter car would be just that, get me to and from work save me as much money and gas as possible. Then on the weekend I would use my WRX to go have fun.

Quick Reply: need a subcompact car