Need some help! Need to borrow a set of wheels/tires that will fit an '04 STi

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 PM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
Need some help! Need to borrow a set of wheels/tires that will fit an '04 STi

So I've brought my car into Ron Price last week b/c my steering wheel shakes when I reach 80MPH. I claim it's the wheel bearings b/c a friend's shop diagnosed it as that but since I have the Subaru extended warranty, I didn't get it fixed there. I've even rotated the tires from front to rear and it's still the same. Ron Price claims it's a flat spot on my tires (I mentioned this in another thread before). Anyhow, other than buying a new set of tires only to find out that it's not the problem when I think my tires are still good, all I want to do is to swap someone else's wheels/tires and take it on the highway for a few miles to see if the steering wheel stops shaking. Can anyone help? I'd be willing to repay in the form of beer for those of age, lunch, computer repair, shuttle service, or anything that's of reasonable nature. I won't peel out in your wheels/tires, nor will I have the chance to curb them since I won't be parallel parking. Anyone? I know that 5x100 wheels that can clear the Sti calipers are a hard find. TIA! BTW, anywhere in the city, peninsula, or South Bay is ideal but I'd even go as far as East Bay if nobody else is able to help.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
did you check if there is mud in one of the wheels? or go to a tireshop and have the rebalanced? idk
Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 PM

Haven't had them rebalanced yet but in another thread I was looking for a place that could Roadforce balance the tires and also forcematch my tires to the wheels but consensus seems that it's hard to find a place that really knows how to do it. Ron Price balanced the front tires and it didn't seem to help much at all and also prior to this, I rotated my tires and it still had no effect. I assume that if I did have a flat spot from braking, then the flat spots would more than likely be on the front tires since logic tells me that skidding a car wears out the front tires more than the rear tires. Today I drove my friend's '04 WRX and boy is it smooth at 80MPH! No play or vibration in the steering wheel at all! I just wish that I could somehow make my car like that.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:07 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
I've heard from here that Ron Price sucks. Besides, they're closing down.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 AM

I'm actually sitting in their waiting room right now. Was told my car would be done by 10am but my car is still on the racks getting my rear struts replaced. Anyhow, I was told by the shuttle driver that they are no longer selling Volkswagens but will still continue to sell Subaru's.