Need SBC DSL Service Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
wait, what? they got you a new one at no charge? how old was your previous one?
ummm...... February, and i had this issue last month, so... 6 months, i think? i called them and said i was having issues with my modem, and they shipped me a new one. no charge at all....
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Yeah, that might be because you are so new, plus the unit would still be under manufacture warranty. Mine is like a grandpa comparing to yours.

Well, i just went to Micro Center near by my work and picked up a Zoom V3. The sales guy said it's also a DSL modem. I got back to work, open the damn box, it's not a DSL modem. But it's pretty cool, you can connect your regular phone to it and use it as VoIP. I have no need for that right now, I just need to get my damn connection to work and this piece of sht was $90 something OTD! Waste of time and money. Thank God for 30 Day return policy.

I did a quick search and guess what? RadioShack has one for sale for $69.99 after rebate would be $9.99. I am going to return this sucker after the meeting and go buy one from RadioShack later. It's a SBC Yahoo! DSL Modem so shouldn't have any compatibility bullsht problem.

Oh, any sugguestion would help at this point... Thanks!

SBC Yahoo! DSL Modem from RadioShack
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Originally Posted by rau
ummm...... February, and i had this issue last month, so... 6 months, i think? i called them and said i was having issues with my modem, and they shipped me a new one. no charge at all....

Last edited by DetailAddict; 09-20-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Former Vendor

my luck... just found out the rebate is for new customers only... should have known it was too good to be true. Oh well...
Old 09-20-2006, 01:35 PM

Alright, the nightmare is back... it's worst now...

So after the move it got a lot better, with drop like once a week or something. But now, for about 2 weeks, it dies like every 2 minutes. They send someone out to look at the box out side and said it's good. I have 3 phone jacks and none are connected to any phones. One connects to the modem and I replaced the RJ11 wire as well. I also try moving it to another jack and still no good. I am running out of ideas.

Two more things I'll do before I call it quit. First, (where I need you guys to help me) I need to borrow someones newer DSL modem for a few days. If that doesn't work, then I need to call them in and pay $65 or so to have them tell me what's wrong.

So, who has a DSL modem sitting at home and not being used? I have an old *** SpeedStream 5100 from like 4-5 years ago. I should have cancelled my DSL service last time duing my renewal and signup again to get a new DSL modem.

If you are wondering why not cable, it's because I don't want to pay that much and I don't need that high of a speed. I don't download much, I just need a stable connection.

HELP!!

I barely read anything in this thread and skimmed through a few. Are you having problems with the DSL light turning off, and then blinking repeatedly for a few seconds? When it happens, is it usually in the evening? When it happens, does it happen every 1 minute and 10 seconds? Let me know because I have the same problem and it started happening like 1-2 weeks ago as well
Old 09-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Former Vendor

holy sht! YES YES YES!! What is your zip code? Mine is 95124.

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
I barely read anything in this thread and skimmed through a few. Are you having problems with the DSL light turning off, and then blinking repeatedly for a few seconds? When it happens, is it usually in the evening? When it happens, does it happen every 1 minute and 10 seconds? Let me know because I have the same problem and it started happening like 1-2 weeks ago as well
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan (WRBlue Pearl)
Are either of you guys still having problems? Do either of you have the efficient networks modem? I have a friend that works for SBC & the Efficient Networks modem, I think model 5360, have been having problems right & left. They seem to cycle off and on and drop sync a lot. Usually the ones having problems are about 2 yrs old.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Former Vendor

well, I was just posting it today, so yes. I have the SpeedStream modem, but it's VERY old. I'll pick up a new modem on my way home today and see if that helps.

Originally Posted by WRBlueGirl
Are either of you guys still having problems? Do either of you have the efficient networks modem? I have a friend that works for SBC & the Efficient Networks modem, I think model 5360, have been having problems right & left. They seem to cycle off and on and drop sync a lot. Usually the ones having problems are about 2 yrs old.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:12 PM

holy sht! YES YES YES!! What is your zip code? Mine is 95124.

I'm nowhere near you. I live in SF. I recently renewed my contract as well, but don't remember when (probably less than 1-2 months). It just started happening 2 weeks ago. I called SBC on Monday, they did the usual SOP of testing the line and whatnot, and couldn't think of a reason that it was happening. They transfered me to the line maintenance guys, who never answered for 10 minutes, so I hung up. So far it hasn't occured again....so hopefully it won't ever come back.

btw I have a Speedstream 5100
Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Former Vendor

Try this number 1-888-322-5274 x2

Did you do some add on to lower the DSL pricing? I did that and my line signal started to get bad.

However, I do have some good news. I went to RadioShack and picked up a new DSL modem. It's working fine now. My old SpeedStream can only handle up to 1.5mbps, the new one is 24mbps.

After I installed the new modem, the line came back immediately and I called the number above to have them check it out. They said it's running really good and also bumped my speed back up to 1.5mbps.

I'll run this for couple of days and see how it goes. Hopefully it's just the modem and not the line inside the wall. I've already replaced all the RJ11 and RJ45 cables.

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
I'm nowhere near you. I live in SF. I recently renewed my contract as well, but don't remember when (probably less than 1-2 months). It just started happening 2 weeks ago. I called SBC on Monday, they did the usual SOP of testing the line and whatnot, and couldn't think of a reason that it was happening. They transfered me to the line maintenance guys, who never answered for 10 minutes, so I hung up. So far it hasn't occured again....so hopefully it won't ever come back.

btw I have a Speedstream 5100

Last edited by DetailAddict; 09-20-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Leo,

It's definitely the modem. I've had two clients and possibly my grandma with the exact same problem in the last week or so. Same modem as well. I have a couple extra modems and leant them to my clients and that resolved it immediately. They then just called SBC and said exactly what happened. New modem two days later.

-Brian
Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Former Vendor

Yo Brian! How's it going!?

How long did your clients have their modems for? I've had mine for a long time (~5 years) and I've asked them about getting a new one before but they said I would have to pay for one.

After the new modem, I did get some signal drop, but I think it's because of my Linksys Wireless Router. At first, the PPPoE was at the modem, then I found out from most of the online forums I should have PPPoE at the router and change the modem to Bridge Mode. I did that and seems to be fine now (no drop since). But my speed seem to have dropped as well. I did file a ticket soonest I notice a signal drop. They'll give me a call tomorrow and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
Leo,

It's definitely the modem. I've had two clients and possibly my grandma with the exact same problem in the last week or so. Same modem as well. I have a couple extra modems and leant them to my clients and that resolved it immediately. They then just called SBC and said exactly what happened. New modem two days later.

-Brian
Old 09-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Former Vendor

you know, the funny thing is that seems like bunch of people have the same problem around the same time. How can that be? It just doesn't sound right.

For me, I've had mine for a long time and it was only supporting up to 1.5mbps anyway, so upgrade is not a bad idea.