Need SBC DSL Service Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:34 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Hmm, was swapping out the cables all you did? I still have my issue of my dsl dropping down to ~30kbps every night. I have to reboot my modem to bring it back to my normal rate which is 200+ times that. *rolls eyes*
Old 07-13-2006, 01:43 AM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Originally Posted by gh0st shad0w
My company has hundreds of sites with vpn connections around the country that only require a consumer level broadband connection and let me tell you cable by far is the fastest and most reliable to have. DSL in my experience is crap. The only other thing that shadows everything in comparison is fiber. And yes there are certain locations of the country where you can get fiber for your home for $70 a month and have DL speeds up to 10Mbps and up speeds at 6Mbps.

Actually with FiOS, AKA dark fiber, you can get 18MBps down 2Mbps up for $45 a month, 30Mbps down 5Mbps up for $180, but it's still in very select areas. Haven't heard of 10M down and 6m up.

I'm not sure what you are basing your information as cable being more stable, but cable is more prone to packet loss, more prone to your neighbor disturbing your speeds, more prone to a lot of troubles. If it's speed for dollar, then cable wins, except for comparing dark fiber. The run lengths for cable can be longer, as it is a higher voltage it can handle transient noise better.

I have both 6M dsl and 8M cable coming into my server shack at work and I can tell you hands down DSL is the most reliable, stable, and has the most up time(they are only used to test some of our PHYs and other networking chips we make, We use an OC12 for internet connectivity). I also have cable and DSL to my home for about 6 months and had the same experiences. If you look all over the web you'll find many people have had similar experiences.

For raw data pumping Cable is decent, for a low ping stable connected, DSL can't be beat(for home use)

iBlueVirus-what router are you using? Many can jack the power up a few DB in the web interface, others can be jacked WAY up with the help of an aftermarket firmware, I use a WRT54G with an aftermarket firmare and the power marginally jacked up and get full speed and full strength anywhere in my house. You might also want to look into an antenna with gain if your router supports it. A 6db gain is 4x as much power received/xmitted than a 0db gain antenna.

pwn-sounds like you might be stuck on some older equipment, some of the older rbacks have BIG troubles when there are many users on, a lot of noise causing certain bits in the tone pattern to become worthless. I was having similar problems last year and got switched to a new rback, and it's been great. go to the SBC part of the dslreports forums and lodge a complaint, you'll get much better help than talking to india on the phone.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
shorten the phone cables to be exact... I didn't check my speed, but after I bumped it back up, DAMN it was fast!

Originally Posted by pwn
Hmm, was swapping out the cables all you did? I still have my issue of my dsl dropping down to ~30kbps every night. I have to reboot my modem to bring it back to my normal rate which is 200+ times that. *rolls eyes*
Old 07-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor

illusion, I have Linksys 802.11G... Need to lookup the model number tonight. Right now the signal is good, it was mostly due to location. But I have been thinking about getting an antenna but don't really have the need. I didn't know about the capability of increasing the power. I'll look into that tonight. Thanks!

Originally Posted by illusion
iBlueVirus-what router are you using? Many can jack the power up a few DB in the web interface, others can be jacked WAY up with the help of an aftermarket firmware, I use a WRT54G with an aftermarket firmare and the power marginally jacked up and get full speed and full strength anywhere in my house. You might also want to look into an antenna with gain if your router supports it. A 6db gain is 4x as much power received/xmitted than a 0db gain antenna.
I have SpeedStream 5100 which is about 3 years old and I was told this can only support up to 1.5MBps. But since my service is only up to 1.5MBps, I guess it's okay for now...

pwn-sounds like you might be stuck on some older equipment, some of the older rbacks have BIG troubles when there are many users on, a lot of noise causing certain bits in the tone pattern to become worthless.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Former Vendor

How is this one? This is the cheapest Hi Gain atenna that I could find..

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0213239
Old 07-13-2006, 09:03 AM

Do you know which linksys model number you have? Some use SMA conenctors soem use TNC connectors(different kinds of plugs for the antennas). If it's a wrt54g like mine I'd spend $10 more and get a pair of them from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...464723?ie=UTF8

If it's a wrt54gC (compact) it will be the SMA connectors and those are a tad more expensive frm linksys, so i'd just get the one you have the link to.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor

I have to go home and look. But I did find two other 7dBi antenna for $40 that supports both SMA and TNC.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0228382

and

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0234235

Do you know which linksys model number you have? Some use SMA conenctors soem use TNC connectors(different kinds of plugs for the antennas). If it's a wrt54g like mine I'd spend $10 more and get a pair of them from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...464723?ie=UTF8

If it's a wrt54gC (compact) it will be the SMA connectors and those are a tad more expensive frm linksys, so i'd just get the one you have the link to.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:43 AM

Location: My lugnuts require more torque then your Honda makes
Car Info: 05 WRX
I have a problem to with my DSL, hope you dont mind me asking here too, don't want to create another thread.

I have a Belkin Wireless Router and after I updated my Firmware for the router, when I try to open IE or Firefox, it will not load at all and Ill get that message Page is Unavialable sometimes. But I'm still connected to the internet because I'm still on AIM and I'm still able to ping websites in DOS.

So I called Belkin and they told me to change the SSID and Channel and it works, but I have to do this couple times a day and it's annoying. Is their a solution to this?

TIA!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
new router. sorry but belkin makes great products but their routers, after years of setting them up and coming back to work on them, i now tell customers to buy SMC, linksys or netgear because they are the only consumer routers that are decent.

seriously though, belkin's are not good routers. but ya know there are good brands out there that make bad products. take HKS for example, good brand but their downpipes suck on the WRX. doesnt make them an overall bad brand.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:42 AM

I use one of these http://shop4.outpost.com/search?sear...x=0&submit.y=0 15dBi. In the picture you can see the difference between SMA and TNC, the small connector is SMA. If your router is in one corner of the house you would benefit from an antenna like that, otherwise you'll have to stick with an omnidirectional.

Here's a 6db for $10 http://shop4.outpost.com/search?sear...x=0&submit.y=0 the best part is, if it doesn't work out, take it back. This one is directional as well.

An omni for $10 after rebate http://shop4.outpost.com/product/393...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG make sure you try it out before you send in rebate, so if it doesn't work, take it back. My favorite part of Fry's.

If you like to play try one of these http://www.freeantennas.com/ I used the 10db corner reflectors for about 6 months until my wife said they were ugly. I wasn't terribly precise so I don't know about about 10dBi, but they helped a lot. You just need carboard, tinfoil, tape, knife, and about 20 minutes.

And +1 for what evsoul said. belkin makes many great things, but I shy away from their networking products all together. I've had so many problems with them I've given up.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor

I like this one... thanks for the info!

I use one of these http://shop4.outpost.com/search?sear...x=0&submit.y=0 15dBi. In the picture you can see the difference between SMA and TNC, the small connector is SMA. If your router is in one corner of the house you would benefit from an antenna like that, otherwise you'll have to stick with an omnidirectional.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 AM
pwn

Linksys > *

I usually pull a good 6 mbits down, and rebooting my modem seems to fix the issue, so I don't see how an old "rback" (wtf is that, router back?) would be causing me grief.

Yea FIOS is the way to go in terms of speed, reliability, and also security. Its not very easy to tap into a fiber line and go unnoticed. BTW, FIOS is not dark fiber, dark fiber is fiber that hasn't been lit yet, or used. FIOS uses the fiber, thus clearly not being dark :P. I don't think they even make use of much resident dark fiber, afaik they have been laying a lot of it down themselves.

Full OC12 eh. Fractional or full? What DC in san jose (or elsewhere) are you guys located in?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:44 AM

I'm not sure of the specifics on our OC, it's not my cup-o-tea, I'm the exchange/AD/SQL/Cluster admin.

When I DL from Mickeysoft in the middle of the night I average about 15MBps(yes bytes, as in about 120Mbps+overhead), during the day it gets pokey because we sync our data from our offshore plants during their night. I know it's full OC12 between all of our local plants(we have several buildings scattered around San Jose). I get between 50 and 60MBps between plants when tranfering between clusters, but I'm assuming it's fractional to the Net, maybe OC-3 to the net.

here's a picture of the pig(sorry my phone does bad in low light, also the clock is off by an hour)

Oh and Rback is Redback, a brand. It's one hop from the DSLAM. If you trace out you should either see rback ar bras, one hop out from your gateway. Rback is the old equipment most of the time. It's just their naming, rback and bras as essentially the same equiptment, just different models.

Last edited by illusion; 07-13-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:19 PM
pwn

Nice. Up until recently, I had a company that resided in Market Post Tower on 55 south market and we had 5 GigE's going into dual juniper M20's which routed them into a BGPv4 mix. That was very fun to play with at times :P.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Former Vendor

Got the Hawking Hi-Gain 15dBi 2.4 Ghz Corner Antenna. Installed it and played around with it at different location and made no difference. Will be returning it tomorrow...

Quick Reply: Need SBC DSL Service Help