Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Old 07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
evsoul: what's up with the hostility?

It's cool that you're a DSL tech and know what to check, but I'm just reporting my findings as a consumer that I have had little to no issues with Comcast in my area. I know lots of people that have had issues with them, but so far, they're doing a kick *** job with my line. As with all services, YMMV. I suppose I got lucky.

Second: I'm not too far away from a switching station. I was able to get a constant 3 megabits down when I was with Earthlink/Covad. With SBC, they kept on knocking me down from 1.5 to 768, and finally down to the minimum. If that's not messing with a customer, I don't know what is. When I was with Earthlink/Covad, I had 3 megabits down constantly, all the time, for a solid year. Then they switched the actual provider and Covad was no longer under my Earthlink account. I'm not sure why they switched, but then they started doing the same thing SBC did, they kept on knocking me down. I was already out of contract but I didn't want to switch back to dial up.

As for censorship, what censorship?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

dude didnt mean to come off like that sorry. im not a hostile person haha. (i saw that gif and had to post it)

if you're right next to the central office or remote terminal they shouldnt drop your speed before doing an internal wire check.

and ibluevirus, it may have worked for a long time doesnt mean it will forever. i experienced that from personally. i had a 100ft phone cable that worked fine for well over a year (before i worked at sonic.net and knew how it all worked) and all of a sudden my dsl was intermintent with its connection like yours finally SBC came out and the guy saw that and said what the heck plugged his little test box into it and said the line was the problem, plugged the modem in with a short cable by the phone jack and ran a network cable through the house instead and i havent had an issue since. its def. worth a try.

as for censorship:
http://www.freepress.net/news/9219

and its only supposed to get worse... websites.. images etc.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
do you have anyone else using a computer on your modem or is it just you?
mine drops the wireless every time my room mate logs on or off his computer.
and also my wireless will drop if one of my neighbors trys to log on to mine rather then theirs. but mine is ultra secure so they cant get on and the finally figure out its the wrong one and use their own.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:23 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
And that right there seals the deal: I will never order from comcast. Anyway, it probably is a good idea to check the wiring, but from my experience with this particular issue is most likely isnt wiring. If it was wiring, you would probably also notice latency and speed issues along with it. It isn't likely that your wiring is causing you to drop inconsistantly with no other side effects.

If you run windows, I want you to go to start > run and type cmd. Then I want you to type ping -t 69.50.235.1 and just leave that going in the backround while you work. When it drops, you should see it start saying timed out. At that point hit control c and type tracert 69.50.235.1 . Once your net comes back up, you should go back to your command prompt and right click the top blue portion of it and go to edit and select select all. Then hit enter. All that is now in your clipboard, and I want you to email all that to wrx230@gmail.com . Most likely I won't find anything from that, but you never know. If you don't want to np, but the instructions are there.

I don't know if I will be calling SBC today, because I have some larger issues. My fairly new macbook keeps shutting off on me, even after I try reseting the power controller, parameter ram, and doing disk diagnostics...its being a POS. I am just gona ask them to replace it or something...BBBSSSSS
Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
Hrm.. That's an interesting one from Comcast. I've had no issues so far, let's hope it stays that way. I like my comcast
Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pwn
And that right there seals the deal: I will never order from comcast. Anyway, it probably is a good idea to check the wiring, but from my experience with this particular issue is most likely isnt wiring. If it was wiring, you would probably also notice latency and speed issues along with it. It isn't likely that your wiring is causing you to drop inconsistantly with no other side effects.

I work with DSL issues all day. you would be suprised how many of them come in where the speed is fine when its sync'd up. i have people run speed tests off our ftp server and they get their full download speed. but then bam it stops, replace a wire or try a different jack and it works again solid and fast.

speed/latency is not always a side affect of bad wiring. sometimes its just the connection and when connected it works the way it is supposed to...

and Onizuka, dont get me wrong comcast is FAST, just not faster or better than DSL, at this point comcast gets the same speed as DSL they both currently offer 6mbps downloads (even though comcast claims its 4x faster.. well i guess thats like ferrari comparing an Enzo to a porsche boxster)
and technically a DSL line could go up to 45mbps. as could cable.. but with cable would you be guaranteed that speed? no way.. you share the freeway with other users, while with DSL you have your own personal freeway.

Last edited by evsoul; 07-12-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:08 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Yea, true. I do suggest he try the different jack and wires etc, but I work in DC environments and I can't tell you how many times I see issues from bad cables as well - especially latency issues. I am not sure if that will hold true with just a phone cord, but its worth a shot :P.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

no for sure, bad wires can impair the connection from meeting its max speed and keeping a solid connection and as a side affect causing latency to be terrible. but it can also vary between those three.

ibluevirus how long did you say is the phone cable that plugs the DSL modem into the phone jack? that is a huge and common issue with DSL customers having intermintent sync.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
evsoul,
yeah, moving he modem closer will be the first thing for me to try tonight.... Thanks!

Originally Posted by evsoul
dude didnt mean to come off like that sorry. im not a hostile person haha. (i saw that gif and had to post it)

if you're right next to the central office or remote terminal they shouldnt drop your speed before doing an internal wire check.

and ibluevirus, it may have worked for a long time doesnt mean it will forever. i experienced that from personally. i had a 100ft phone cable that worked fine for well over a year (before i worked at sonic.net and knew how it all worked) and all of a sudden my dsl was intermintent with its connection like yours finally SBC came out and the guy saw that and said what the heck plugged his little test box into it and said the line was the problem, plugged the modem in with a short cable by the phone jack and ran a network cable through the house instead and i havent had an issue since. its def. worth a try.

as for censorship:
http://www.freepress.net/news/9219

and its only supposed to get worse... websites.. images etc.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Former Vendor

i have a desktop and laptop but only laptop goes wireless. plus, I am not getting wireless drop, my DSL modem is getting the drop...

Originally Posted by WREXNFX
do you have anyone else using a computer on your modem or is it just you?
mine drops the wireless every time my room mate logs on or off his computer.
and also my wireless will drop if one of my neighbors trys to log on to mine rather then theirs. but mine is ultra secure so they cant get on and the finally figure out its the wrong one and use their own.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Former Vendor

basically you want to see where it gets disconnected right? I can give that a try...

Originally Posted by pwn
If you run windows, I want you to go to start > run and type cmd. Then I want you to type ping -t 69.50.235.1 and just leave that going in the backround while you work. When it drops, you should see it start saying timed out. At that point hit control c and type tracert 69.50.235.1 . Once your net comes back up, you should go back to your command prompt and right click the top blue portion of it and go to edit and select select all. Then hit enter. All that is now in your clipboard, and I want you to email all that to wrx230@gmail.com . Most likely I won't find anything from that, but you never know. If you don't want to np, but the instructions are there.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor

it's more than 10ft for sure...

Originally Posted by evsoul
ibluevirus how long did you say is the phone cable that plugs the DSL modem into the phone jack? that is a huge and common issue with DSL customers having intermintent sync.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor

btw, here is my wiring...

3 phone jacks at home only 1 jack is connected
wall jack -> ~15 ft phone line -> DSL filter/spliter -> Spliter = (a) DSL (b) Phone
Spliter (a) -> DSL modem -> Linksys Wireless Router -> Ethernet Cable to desktop
Spliter (b) -> HP all-in-one -> 2.4Ghz cordless phone

---------------------------------------------------
When I get home, I'll do this...
---------------------------------------------------
Wall jack -> ~1 ft phone line -> DSL filter/spliter -> Spliter = (a) DSL (b) Phone
Spliter (a) -> DSL modem -> Linksys Wireless Router -> Ethernet Cable to desktop
Spliter (b) -> Open
Old 07-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor

If the long phone line is causing the problem, this should take care of it. If I get no drop tonight (since I get it every night), I'll add the all-in-one back in tomorrow, then the phone the night after.

If that takes care of it, than thank you all! If not, I'll move the setup to another wall jack.

Quick Reply: Need SBC DSL Service Help