Need a radar detector.... GRRRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by n192da
Principally, does it matter?

Right, but saying "don't speed" is an utterly simplistic false dichotomy.

Speeding tickets on major interstates generally serve only as a "driving tax". On I-280, which has been characterized by some as the California autobahn, there is nothing wrong with someone in a modern car traveling at 85mph. There is certainly nothing "wreckless" about it either, even though it's 20mph over a limit made up years ago.

Add the fact that it isn't really speed that kills, but rather the difference in speed, and now you've got a compelling arguement to faster than the speed "limit"--even though you're just going with the flow.

VERY nicely worded and well said. I concur.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
over this past memorial day weekend driving up from santa barbara back to the bay i caught 11 chp and 3 police, just on the way up. all proxitmately 2 miles before i came up to them. V1 works like a charm. i think i have become dependent on it though. when i drive others cars without it, i am wishing something is always wanting to beep
Old 06-07-2005, 03:01 PM

Car Info: GDA
Add the fact that it isn't really speed that kills, but rather the difference in speed, and now you've got a compelling arguement to faster than the speed "limit"--even though you're just going with the flow.
i disagree -- higher speeds mean less reaction time and less braking distance. i've seen too many traffic incidents as a result of the lack of those two components.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by doughboy
i disagree -- higher speeds mean less reaction time and less braking distance.
And?

It's funny how, as if blessed by the road Gods with some magical driving skills, the Germans are able to shuttle their cars down the Autobahn without inherently killing themselves.

Look, driving in cars (car accidents) kills more people every year than EVERYTHING except smoking. So by default, you've got some sort of death wish to get out on any roadway at all.

Therefore, I maintain that the increased risk, from driving 85 or greater on limited access interstate roadways, is minimal. Of course, ceterus paribus.

Humans are capable of driving these speeds.

Todays cars (most of them) are capable of driving these speeds.

The interstate roadways are capable of driving these speeds.

Saying 65mph on all freeways is the safest and most reasonable speed is simple-minded and draconian.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
well the speed limit isn't all about safety, if you compare fuel economy, mpg @ 85, 90, 100 mph is significantly reduced when compared to mpg @ 55, 60, or 65 mph.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:59 PM

Car Info: GDA
And?

It's funny how, as if blessed by the road Gods with some magical driving skills, the Germans are able to shuttle their cars down the Autobahn without inherently killing themselves.

Look, driving in cars (car accidents) kills more people every year than EVERYTHING except smoking. So by default, you've got some sort of death wish to get out on any roadway at all.

Therefore, I maintain that the increased risk, from driving 85 or greater on limited access interstate roadways, is minimal. Of course, ceterus paribus.

Humans are capable of driving these speeds.

Todays cars (most of them) are capable of driving these speeds.

The interstate roadways are capable of driving these speeds.

Saying 65mph on all freeways is the safest and most reasonable speed is simple-minded and draconian.
you made some valid points; however, you failed to account for one important variable -- judgement. you should know, as noted by your comment on the inherent dangers of driving on public roads, that accidents cannot be prevented. increasing the speed will just increase the fatality rate of those accidents.

plain and simple, increasing the speed limit increases the number of fatal accidents. having an increased speed limit might facilitate traffic flow, but increasing it to 80-85mph will just mean that when accidents occur as a result of poor judgement, the consequences will just be more serious.

also, how does this affect older vehicles on the road? a stock 1990 toyota corolla would feel edgy while traveling 80mph on a curvy road. would an increased speed limit inadvertently discourage them from using that route?

until you factor in the possibilities and consequences of the change, you cannot casually suggest an increased limit.

as a final note, the autobahn requires frequent upkeep by way of trash removal. citations are also given for vehicles with loose panels or precariously secured attachments/freight. does california have the resources to increase both upkeep and patrol on 280?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jdepould
well the speed limit isn't all about safety, if you compare fuel economy, mpg @ 85, 90, 100 mph is significantly reduced when compared to mpg @ 55, 60, or 65 mph.

If that really was a good reason for keeping 65mph the limit, why can't electric/hybrid cars be allowed to drive faster than "normal" cars?

A Prius at 100mph might achieve the same mileage as my WRX at 65. Why don't we have special speed laws for those cars? We certainly do when it comes to car-pool lanes (which wasn't that hard).

My WRX gets fully TRIPLE the mileage of my friend's perfectly legal stock Chevy Crew-Cab 4x4 truck (8mpg). Why can't I go faster? Furthermore, if interstate speed laws are simply a government mandated provision for rationing the nation's fuel consumption, why does the goverment allow him to drive a vehicle with such poor mileage?

Going 65mph was certainly a valid arguement during the oil embargo in the 70s, but it hardly holds water now.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:36 PM

I didn't say it was the only reason, merely a reason. USDM cars just aren't as capable as EDM and JDM models in general (there are always exceptions). European roads are also a lot thicker than American roads. The upkeep also goes beyond trash removal, the German government replaces entire sections of road when there is a single crack.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:40 AM

Car Info: _
Does anybody know the statistics of how many people die from SKATEBOARDING accidents each year?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by stevedood
Does anybody know the statistics of how many people die from SKATEBOARDING accidents each year?
numbers are 11 years old, so take them for what you will, but according to the CDC in 1984 there were 13,500 children under age 15 treated in hospitals for skateboard-related injuries
Old 06-08-2005, 12:51 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by gruppe-s
Time to get a Valentine V1
This thing is awesome. I have a K40 which I am pretty happy with but the V1 is amazing.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
V1 +1
Old 06-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
... yea i need one badly too, just got a ticket for going 40 in a 25 right ****ing out side my house ..... ghey!!!! *** **** ... the guy was like umm i caught u going 40 in my rear radar and when i switched to my front radar you were still going 40 ... ... i didn't even know they had 2 radars!!! ... damn cops ... *sigh*
Old 06-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
... yea i need one badly too, just got a ticket for going 40 in a 25 right ****ing out side my house ..... ghey!!!! *** **** ... the guy was like umm i caught u going 40 in my rear radar and when i switched to my front radar you were still going 40 ... ... i didn't even know they had 2 radars!!! ... damn cops ... *sigh*
duhh.. they have one in the front and back.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
you're complaining because you were speeding? am i reading this correctly?

Quick Reply: Need a radar detector.... GRRRRRR