need a new bank-help me choose

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 0 4 P S M W R X
Have anyone have Tech CU? Would love to hear some feedback for them because I've been thinking of getting an auto loan through them and maybe keep a savings account there.
I love Tech CU.

Of course, I also work there ...I've been there for 5 years.

If you need any info, recommendations or the inside scoop on anything, hit me up here or PM.

Back ON TOPIC, at "nation" the specific answer as to why there are only 6 transfers per month from your savings is: Regulation D. Sorry it seems like WF gave you the run-around...you deserved a much better explanation than what it seems like you got.

--------------
Long Winded Answer:
Regulation D is a Federal Regulation and governs all Banks and Credit Unions. You are allowed 6 "non-personal" withdrawals on "Non-transactional" accounts per statement period.
1. Non-Personal means you weren't "in-person" to request the withdrawal. Easy way to think of it, is did you need to "get off your butt" to initiate the withdrawal? Online Banking requests, Telephone transfers, Wire and ACH transfers, and Overdraft transfers all count against your Reg. D limit of 6 (they can be all initiated from home).
2. Non-transactional accounts--think anything that is NOT a checking account such as Savings or Money Market accounts.

Tech CU also offers this link for more detail: http://www.techcu.com/personal/accou...cking/regd.htm

As already mentioned, in person, there are NO restrictions. If you do your transfer either at a branch, at an ATM, or request it via mail (see, you had to get off your butt to get to the mailbox)...it will NOT count against your Reg D. limit of 6.
----------------------------
Hope this helps!

and, yeah, support your local Credit Union!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT Sports
I have never had a problem with Patelco Credit Union. Lots of locations, easy to use. Better returns and loan rates, and tons of dope special, easy to use online features now. I recommend it highly.

SUPPORT LOCAL CREDIT UNIONS. **** BofA.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
Originally Posted by subie ocd
support your local credit union.

d r e w.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Car Info: 2006 sti
i do bank with the 2 main credit unions. im pulling my money out of wellsfargo this morning and im going to setup another account with won of the credit unions im already with. the downside is now i wont have the luxury of finding a bank when on vacation. oh well its better than retarded fees.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
I have UBOC and a credit union (Star One). The credit union handles my 'play money' and a few other things for me. UBOC is for bills for the most part. I keep them around because I've had them since the early 90's after... wait for it... wait... for... it... ditching Wells Fargo.

I was in Europe a few months ago and had ZERO problems finding an ATM I could use. Star One charged me straight exchange rate for anything I withdrew. No fees. Here at home I can use just about any ATM without fear of fees. Works for me.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
You can trust me with your money. No fees!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
Join Chevron's Federal Credit Union, ask me in private how to join.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by Unit 91
I have UBOC and a credit union (Star One). The credit union handles my 'play money' and a few other things for me. UBOC is for bills for the most part. I keep them around because I've had them since the early 90's after... wait for it... wait... for... it... ditching Wells Fargo.

I was in Europe a few months ago and had ZERO problems finding an ATM I could use. Star One charged me straight exchange rate for anything I withdrew. No fees. Here at home I can use just about any ATM without fear of fees. Works for me.
Star One is an actual Credit Union? Where are they located at?

I see that logo on ATM's all time so are you not being charged any fees at any ATM's or are you still charged fees, you just aren't charged any fees from Star One?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by CHESTON
I love Tech CU.

Of course, I also work there ...I've been there for 5 years.

If you need any info, recommendations or the inside scoop on anything, hit me up here or PM.

Back ON TOPIC, at "nation" the specific answer as to why there are only 6 transfers per month from your savings is: Regulation D. Sorry it seems like WF gave you the run-around...you deserved a much better explanation than what it seems like you got.

--------------
Long Winded Answer:
Regulation D is a Federal Regulation and governs all Banks and Credit Unions. You are allowed 6 "non-personal" withdrawals on "Non-transactional" accounts per statement period.
1. Non-Personal means you weren't "in-person" to request the withdrawal. Easy way to think of it, is did you need to "get off your butt" to initiate the withdrawal? Online Banking requests, Telephone transfers, Wire and ACH transfers, and Overdraft transfers all count against your Reg. D limit of 6 (they can be all initiated from home).
2. Non-transactional accounts--think anything that is NOT a checking account such as Savings or Money Market accounts.

Tech CU also offers this link for more detail: http://www.techcu.com/personal/accou...cking/regd.htm

As already mentioned, in person, there are NO restrictions. If you do your transfer either at a branch, at an ATM, or request it via mail (see, you had to get off your butt to get to the mailbox)...it will NOT count against your Reg D. limit of 6.
----------------------------
Hope this helps!

and, yeah, support your local Credit Union!
If you were to go in to do the transfer in person 6 times and then do a 7th transaction online it would only count as Transaction 1 right?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
First Bank has been treating us very well so far. Can't say the same for BoA.

-- Ed
Old 11-04-2010, 01:31 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Originally Posted by flukewrx
Star One is an actual Credit Union? Where are they located at?

I see that logo on ATM's all time so are you not being charged any fees at any ATM's or are you still charged fees, you just aren't charged any fees from Star One?
https://www.starone.org/home/home
Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 2010 wrb WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Unit 91
I like these guys. My parents have been with them since the 70's and I have been a member for about 10 years now. They have always treated me well and tend to give a little better loan interest rates. Never had any problems with them.

The only thing is you have to search a little harder to find an ATM that will not charge you, though their website has a while list of them. I guess Unit 91 has a little better luck than me.

Also, all their branches are in the South Bay, so it isn't too suggested for anyone living out of the area just because of that.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Car Info: BMW X5M. No more twinscroll LGT
as many here have already said...support your local credit union
Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Originally Posted by kyle16
I like these guys. My parents have been with them since the 70's and I have been a member for about 10 years now. They have always treated me well and tend to give a little better loan interest rates. Never had any problems with them.

The only thing is you have to search a little harder to find an ATM that will not charge you, though their website has a while list of them. I guess Unit 91 has a little better luck than me.

Also, all their branches are in the South Bay, so it isn't too suggested for anyone living out of the area just because of that.
The ATM thing hasn't been an issue for me at home because they're literally a block away from my office. Overseas it wasn't an issue either, but why that is... who knows.

I think you have to live/work in Santa Clara County to be able to join, also.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by wakeskatemike
I have Wells Fargo and Common Wealth Credit Union (local in the south bay)
Common Wealth is great.. wells fargo seems like nothing but problems.. I always get these random fees and i hardly ever use that account
This sucks to hear as we just switched to WF due to no other bank being local to where we live now. Guess we should have searched around a bit but my wife's family use them and said they are great.

I have been a Commonwealth member since 1999 and they are GREAT. I got my first auto loan with BofA and refi'd it with Commonwealth at around half the percentage and got even lower with direct withdrawal. I wish there were a CCU near me now.

Quick Reply: need a new bank-help me choose