Need Michelin Pilort Sport PS2 EXPERTS, PORSCHE MODEL BETTER?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Need Michelin Pilort Sport PS2 EXPERTS, PORSCHE MODEL BETTER?

Love these tires,

I've used them in the past on my old sti, and while loving them I seemed to wear the sidewall prematurely.

I wonder if this PORSCHE specific Pilot Sport PS2 has a more durable sidewall???

They look virtually the same on tirerack. tirerack says the manufactures do not tell them if there is really a difference.

Could these be better than the regular ps2's in terms of sidewall? What porsche would the stock size even have come on?

Need some GURUS

PORSCHE VS. REGULAR
Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
How about your just avoid those all together and pick up something like Hankook RS3 or Dunlops Z1s StarSpecs?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
How about your just avoid those all together and pick up something like Hankook RS3 or Dunlops Z1s StarSpecs?
joltdudeuc, do you have experience with both RS3 and Z1? How do they compare? I have Z1 and was thinking about a cheaper alternative.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
/thread

those tires are fantastic
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Old School

RS-3 is the stickiest of the icky. Wear remains to be seen, some say the grip falls of faster than they want. (doesn't really matter for street driving where 10/10ths driving is not acceptable.)

But really any of the top sticky streets are awesome, esp the cheaper ones:
RS3
Ecsta XS
Z1 SS

More expensive but still great:
RE-11
Neova AD-08

Really baller"
PS2
Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
at first i was like

then i tested teh side wall

Old 09-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
The PS2's are the top of the top, best of the best in terms of street tires... That is of course in terms of the compound makeup of the rubber... Remember however, these are the tires that are used on luxury sports cars and luxury usually means that the tires aren't super stiff in the sidewall dept... With that premium you also pay a premium price and to me it's just not worth the price, especially for something that can be closely matched and for a fraction of the cost. The Starspec's are REALLY good tires and handle just as nicely as the PS2's do... I'd def skip the PS's and get the starspecs, especially if you're looking for a stiffer sidewall/more hardcore performance.

Another tire I'd recommend is the Hankook RS3... I had the RS2's and have tried out the RS3's and I have to mention these tires because of how remarkable they are! I can't believe someone has finally got the answer right for the price + performance = compromise equation! You really don't compromise anything with the RS3's... It's a great deal of tire for a lot less money! I know it's Korean, but don't let that stop you! Lots of tires advertise that they have great performance for less $$ but NONE of them come as close as Hankook RS3's do.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Brucelee-

One of the reason I fell in love with the ps2's was I felt it had only very minimally worse grip than re70 in dry am i crazy??

but that it raped in the rain, even did a track day in the rain and I was impressed.

Are these other tires any good in the rain? I definitely dont want a tire geared towards the wet, but the ps2's seem to handle it so well.

Still don't understand if the PORSCHE SPEC PS2 Is any different?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
It shouldn't be different. Porsche doesn't make the tires, Michelin does. I'm pretty sure if they get a flat, they could order the same tire in the right size from any tire store and it should be the same. There are sometimes different sidewall strengths for the same size/model tire. One car company may choose a softer sidewall of the same tire for more comfort, while another may choose a stiffer for more performance.

On another note, +1 for Star specs. Way better for track days than RE70's, and I believe they have excellent wet grip too.

Has anyone done multiple track days with RS3's? I've heard great things about their DD grip, but I haven't seen many reviews for 9/10th's driving. I'm curious what their break away/heat retention/cupping is like.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 PM

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....S2V2&tab=Sizes

If you look at the 245/40/18 tires, there are 5 different load ratings for the same size tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=72

This section of tirerack explains how load rating can affect handling. Porsche tires might have a higher load rating so that they can handle high speed driving on the autobahn, whereas other cars might have a lower load rating (more comfortable) for american/lower speed roads.

I tried searching for a site that could tie together the load rating to sidewall strength/handling, but I that's one of the first useful links I found. Hope it helps.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Car Info: 09 STI
Originally Posted by LGT Mark
On another note, +1 for Star specs. Way better for track days than RE70's, and I believe they have excellent wet grip too.
What pressure do you guys put in Z1 SS before running a track session? I mean cold pressure - front/rear?

I have only one complain about Z1 SS - they become greasy when hot. I've read that Kumho XS holds temperature much better (but warms up slower which is OK for the track). But they are much worse in wet conditions (hydroplaning) compared to Z1 SS. Although still better than Azenis RT-615 from what I've read. But I only personally tried Z1 SS and RT-615, nothing else.

Has anyone done multiple track days with RS3's? I've heard great things about their DD grip, but I haven't seen many reviews for 9/10th's driving. I'm curious what their break away/heat retention/cupping is like.
From tirerack reviews I saw somebody saying they are as good as Z1 but wear faster And the price difference is not that significant ($20 in my size).
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM

yea the michelin's have the same specs, but the guy at tirerack told me that if there is a difference porsche will not make that public and you will not be able to find out.

Someone says get 235, because re70 is actually a really wide 225?

What do you guys think?

Curious to hear some more opinions on WET DRIVING+RS3's
Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
I love my Starspecs. Probably won't ever get a different tire. Although I have noticed that they have gotten a bit nosier with age. I am running 255/35/18. ( I am slightly biased though, I used to work for Dunlop).

Super sticky in the dry, and really predictable in the wet. I really have to make an effort to get it to slide at all in the wet.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by wwrx
What pressure do you guys put in Z1 SS before running a track session? I mean cold pressure - front/rear?

I have only one complain about Z1 SS - they become greasy when hot. I've read that Kumho XS holds temperature much better (but warms up slower which is OK for the track). But they are much worse in wet conditions (hydroplaning) compared to Z1 SS. Although still better than Azenis RT-615 from what I've read. But I only personally tried Z1 SS and RT-615, nothing else.

From tirerack reviews I saw somebody saying they are as good as Z1 but wear faster And the price difference is not that significant ($20 in my size).
It depends how hot it is. If it's 100+, I'll start at 32, with a target of 40-41 hot temp, and adjust from there going by mostly feel. I might look at the wear line above the sidewall to see if it's much higher or lower than the wear arrow thing, but otherwise I just adjust for more or less understeer.

Those XS's have gotten some pretty good reviews, I might have to consider them next time since they're $200 cheaper than the star specs...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by LGT Mark
It shouldn't be different. Porsche doesn't make the tires, Michelin does. I'm pretty sure if they get a flat, they could order the same tire in the right size from any tire store and it should be the same. There are sometimes different sidewall strengths for the same size/model tire. One car company may choose a softer sidewall of the same tire for more comfort, while another may choose a stiffer for more performance.

I'll say again, the RS3 is the stickiest street tire on the market today. They love heat, so tracks days should be ZERO issue.

Quick Reply: Need Michelin Pilort Sport PS2 EXPERTS, PORSCHE MODEL BETTER?