Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 12:04 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
AHQ in redwood. Kevin knows everything
Old 11-07-2013, 08:16 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
AHQ in redwood. Kevin knows everything
Agreed, Kevin does amazing work. However, he's not always known for doing things in a timely manner.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 AM

Car Info: 2014 STi 5-Door PBP
Kevin at Auto Headquarters does wonderful work; he's located in Redwood City just off the Woodside-West exit on 101.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:24 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Garage One

I do not recommend Garage One based on my friend's experience. He had them do the Forester's head gasket for ~$3k. After a short while, CEL came on and they wanted to charge him for diagnostic fee before taking a look. They did not even offer to pull the code quickly and take a quick look at the car.

I understand the CEL might not be related and the head gasket work might be perfect, and their time is money, but anyone would expect a courtesy 15 min check if you just spent $3k at their shop.

They seem to cater to the Yelp crowd and they probably work on more NA cars than turbo cars.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Since you are in SJ, I highly recommend letting Master Mechanic and serious Subaru Guru Kevin of Auto Headquarters take care of it. He rebuilt my engine, and it feels better than if it were stock and brand new 12 years ago. I only let meticulous hands touch delicate engine work and was lucky enough to observe Kevin working on other cars before I decided to send mines in. No regrets. Just give him a call and talk to him.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Car Info: 03WRX=sold 08STI=newhotness
Originally Posted by silvergga
I do not recommend Garage One based on my friend's experience.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I will definitely be doing my homework and measuring twice before I cut. If anyone that doesn't feel comfortable posting a negative experience PLEASE PM me .

Also, before anyone gets their why don't you search first panties in a bunch , I'm searching threads and PM'ing people directly also. Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Based on first hand experience, Garage One is fine. They do good work and the example given isn't really a good example of a shop having a problem. They are a business and the amount of money you just spent there should not change the way they operate.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
If you want first hand experience:

Garage One Subaru Service - Fairgrounds - San Jose, CA

All 3 reviews within the last 6 months are negative. 2 of 3 are repeat customers who think they are going downhill.

What I wrote were my close friend's factual experience. We are both car guys and I see him every week.

If you like that shop, fine. Just don't try to imply that what I wrote is less true than what you said.

Originally Posted by 04GG
Based on first hand experience, Garage One is fine. They do good work and the example given isn't really a good example of a shop having a problem. They are a business and the amount of money you just spent there should not change the way they operate.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:20 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

It is possible they have issues currently because a few other shops have been having some issues as well, so perhaps they changed or lost a mechanic. I don't know them that well to know what the issues, and while they did fine on my trans (also only around 2 months ago), I am not sure I'd take my car to them for a motor rebuild either. Having said that, second hand info is still second hand info no matter how often you talk to the person. If you weren't there, it is the same as reading yelp, and we all know yelp is pretty much effing useless. It isn't an attack on you personally, so don't get bent for no reason.

Last edited by 04GG; 11-08-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by 04GG
It is possible they have issues currently because a few other shops have been having some issues as well, so perhaps they changed or lost a mechanic. I don't know them that well to know what the issues, and while they did fine on my trans (also only around 2 months ago), I am not sure I'd take my car to them for a motor rebuild either. Having said that, second hand info is still second hand info no matter how often you talk to the person. If you weren't there, it is the same as reading yelp, and we all know yelp is pretty much effing useless. It isn't an attack on you personally, so don't get bent for no reason.
That's stupid. It's already a second hand source of information since it's being pulled from an internet forum. Whether it's a first hand account or a friend of a friend, it's equally questionable information.

So your contribution is essentially "your comment is worthless like yelp" and your supporting evidence is that a few other shops have been having issues? Oh, lets not forget "I don't know them that well" and "I wouldn't take my motor there".

So what exactly was the point of your comment? "It IS a good shop, but don't go there"?

This is an attack on you personally. get bent.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:25 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

I don't know them well enough to say for sure I would take my car to them to rebuild my motor given that there are plenty of shops that I WOULD take my car to for that already. I'd have to take some cars there for some other significant work to decide that; and I don't know them like I call them up and shoot the breeze with them and know what's going on at their shops like I do with a few shops in the area that I've dealt with for 10+ years and know their capabilities. I only recently tried them out based on numerous recommendations given here and their location. Given that I've had good experience with them already I have no problem recommending them and taking my car there for other stuff, but it is possible they've had issues recently. At least one shop lost a well known mechanic recently, presumably to another shop, and another is looking, so yes there's been a little upheaval in some of the local shops recently. I can see where my last comment was a bit unclear and I don't really need to clarify for you, but there was more to it than what I said.

I saw the inside of the OP's motor yesterday. It wasn't a pretty sight.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Yelp is such a ****ing scam. I'd rate it right up there with BBB. Customer has buyers remorse, they'll go to Yelp to blast you even if you tried to talk them out of the repairs initially. Their car fails smog for mods, go to Yelp and blast the shop for doing their job.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I've heard bad things just about from everyone about everyone EXCEPT: LIC and RBMS.

RBMS is new, but we all know Mert.

LIC just does it right, no matter what. There is reason we call Adam Mcgyver.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by FXTbrah
Yelp is such a ****ing scam. I'd rate it right up there with BBB. Customer has buyers remorse, they'll go to Yelp to blast you even if you tried to talk them out of the repairs initially. Their car fails smog for mods, go to Yelp and blast the shop for doing their job.
There's lots of problems with Yelp. Half the reviews are from morons who have no idea what they're talking about and nothing to compare to and should not be writing reviews. Then you have the people like those you mentioned - they didn't like something, whether related or not, and go on a freaking campaign against the place. Sure there's some legitimate stuff on it, but you have to wade though so much garbage that it is practically a waste of time in many cases.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
People don't need to be blasting others opinions. Just say what YOUR experience is, and let the OP decide what's best for him.

Quick Reply: Need major engine work :(