Need a little help with info on a Red Light cam ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Car Info: LGT Wagon
Trial by written declaration is when you submit forms stating your innocence. The officer is then supposed to submit forms stating his case and a judge reviews the submissions and makes a decision. In a regular traffic stop, in something like 30% of the cases the officer drops the ball and you get your money back. This web site has more informatin about trial by written dec and is worth the $10 he charges for sample paperwork:

http://www.ticketassassin.com/

For red light cameras, the "officer", is really an employee of the red light camera company and they pretty much always respond.

This web page has a very thorough write-up on red light cameras:

http://www.highwayrobbery.net/

I'm a veteran ticket fighter and I think the odds are low of beating a red light camera ticket. Most red light cameras now have 12 seconds of video. You'll be able to find out when they send you the courtesy notice. Most red light cameras use in pavement loops to calculate speed, and they are notoriously inaccurate and since there are no loops with-in the intersection, they have no automated way of calculating your speed. But your speed is irrelevant. All they need to do is show the video of you not stopping for 3 seconds.

I recommend you go to the arraignment and get them to lower your fine for a guilty plea. I think this is pretty standard procedure at most court houses.

Last edited by scottj; 08-19-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
it's really simple.... stop ****ing running redlights
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM

That's BS. The only reason for red light cameras is raising revenue. An FHWA paper shows that rlc's actually increase accident rates.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Car Info: Nadda
uhh, they have a dude who reviews clips of people running, he signs it off, and the printed ticket hits you at home. The URLs are accurate. They usually have that camera on a lightpole halfway down the block or intersection and can CLEARLY see you moving in COLOR. Yea, it makes the clip of it (probably marks in the ground determining if you'll be able to stop in the time available, speed over distance thing) If you're over, it just shoots the video and captures 3x pictures and ur screwed. I know, I was one of the first to run one on a right hand turn (which was protected) but alwell.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
I know, I was one of the first to run one on a right hand turn (which was protected) but alwell.
protected usually means no turn on red.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Legal precedent that red light camera photos are inadmissable :

http://thenewspaper.com/news/32/3213.asp
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by scottj
That's BS. The only reason for red light cameras is raising revenue. An FHWA paper shows that rlc's actually increase accident rates.
It's ALL for revenue!

But red light cameras take multiple pictures showing someone going THROUGH the intersection on a red light. But it's really simple, if the **** is yellow, either stop or go through. If it's red, don't go through.

Do you know how many people get into accidents because of people running red lights and stop signs!?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by iLoqin
uhh, they have a dude who reviews clips of people running, he signs it off, and the printed ticket hits you at home. The URLs are accurate. They usually have that camera on a lightpole halfway down the block or intersection and can CLEARLY see you moving in COLOR. Yea, it makes the clip of it (probably marks in the ground determining if you'll be able to stop in the time available, speed over distance thing) If you're over, it just shoots the video and captures 3x pictures and ur screwed. I know, I was one of the first to run one on a right hand turn (which was protected) but alwell.
Red light cameras calculate your speed and ready based on that. If you stop and then make a right turn they will NOT go off.

I've successfully tricked cameras in Union City 7-8+ times where I go bombing towards the intersection, and brake heavily stopping at the last moment before the crosswalk. Cameras go off. They see the speed of the car, they are programmed to know that in most cases this car can't stop in that distance, and they arm themselves ready to take pictures.

If you go through the intersection very slowly it won't go off, if you go at like 100mph it can't catch you. It's programmed to get the folks who are going 10-20 over the limit, don't have the ability to easily stop, and get caught. Easy money. Esp when you shorten the yellows, it's nice trap.

but even still, don't run the red light
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Publishing this ruling could be game changer. I now think you a have a decent chance of beating the ticket.

The ruling is only binding in Orange county but a reasonable judge in other counties might be swayed by the ruling.

Last edited by scottj; 08-20-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Red Light Tickets are a scam, I have one out of Santa Ana. Some guy in Santa Ana has the same name as me minus a middle name and somehow his car is now registered inmy name wtf? So yeah I am waiting to hear from Santa Ana PD today or on Monday since it takes them roughly 24-48 hours to respond to their voicemails

I have always believed that lrc were illegal since the officer in question did not see the crime happen and what not. I got one not too long after they were put up in SF, I just did traffic school and paid the fine. Blah!