Need Help - State Ref

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP Impreza WRX STi
Need Help - State Ref

Hey guys,

Need some help here... got pulled over today for VC 27150(a) - mod exhaust and VC 27156(b) - state ref required emissions.

Mods are PDE Catted Downpipe, K&N Typhoon Intake (which is CARB exempt - I think, but wasn't when I bought it so I don't have the bloody sticker - http://www.knfilters.com/search/appl...od=69-8001TWR), Ecutek Tune, and Prodrive exhaust.

I'm thinking even if I got a sticker for the intake and took it to the ref, he'd notice the DP and bust me for that. I know the exhaust is well under the noise limit, the cop was just just being a pain about it. So I guess I gotta put a stock DP/intake back on the car. Problem is, all my stuff is in LA.

Anyone have any of this stuff lying around? More importantly, anyone know of a shop who'd put it on?

I'm also wondering if it's even worth it to go back after I'm done... I haven't tracked the car in years and am thinking of selling it, so I might just keep it stock and reflash the ECU back to stock. I assume any Ecutek tuner can put a stock map on the car?

Is there any option to avoid the ref? Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

SI

Last edited by gellar; 09-08-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:28 PM

Car Info: DGM 14 BRZ
you will have to have the EO sticker for the intake for it to be a pass,contact knn they will normally mail you a new EO.

the down pipe is a no go.

you will need to go full stock to smog it to sell it so might aswell get it back to stock and leave it if your going to sell it.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Here is CVC 27150 (a)

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and
properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and
no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass,
or similar device.

I am no lawyer but I don't see a problem unless you are making an excessive or unusual noise.

I took a look at CVC 27150, 27151, and 27156. I guess it more or less makes sense, but is worded kind of funny.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Car Info: 04wrx
SUCKS man.. yeah I just got a state ref last weekend. but I got way more **** on the car haha. I personally dont think its worth going back after taking everything off. Ima just end up parting the car out and just leave it stock.... sucks man
Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP Impreza WRX STi
Originally Posted by wrxguy
SUCKS man.. yeah I just got a state ref last weekend. but I got way more **** on the car haha. I personally dont think its worth going back after taking everything off. Ima just end up parting the car out and just leave it stock.... sucks man
Yeah man... I'm definitely bummed. I opened the hood cause I thought the cop seemed cool and he'd let me off. Also I was pretty sure the intake was legal, but of course I didn't have the EO sticker. I swear everytime I'm honest and nice with cops, they thank me and treat me well, but I still get ticketed hard. The one time I was a dick, the guy actually let me off. Sucks.

Definitely figure I'll leave it back to stock when I'm done. Will make it easier to sell when I get to that point too. I just hope the Ecutek tuner won't charge me too much to swap it back to a 'stock' map.

SI

Last edited by gellar; 09-08-2007 at 07:24 PM.