Need help with Seafoam!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Need help with Seafoam!!

Would any kind souls out there be willing to help me run Seafoam through my engine? I have the bottle, but I dont know where the vacuum line is that will suck it up.

I had my wrx reflashed, and I was advised to change the spark plugs, fuel filter and run seafoam to clean out any deposits. The seafoam is the last to be done. Can anyone help me out? Im in the eastbay, but I can travel for help. I would treat you to a lunch/dinner/beer/hookers/whatever...lol

Any help would be very appreciated.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:40 PM

Car Info: 02 WRB WRX
Vac line to the booster. That would be the easiest one. Really though, seafoam is more of a show than anything.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Use the vacuum line to the brake booster (i think its brake... or clutch?) you might need to rev your engine up while sucking it in

edit: should also put some through the gasoline to help clean injectors/fuel system

Last edited by slagehammer; 10-14-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:44 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Hey I just picked some of this up today...I haven't put it in yet but we could put in in together if you're gonna be at the Concord meet on Monday.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
From what I've read about it, sea foam in the long run is bad for your engine. Yeah, it dries out all the carbon deposits in your engine, and exhaust but it also dries out everything else like your rings etc. I think it's active ingredient is kerosene, which really really dries out anything it touches, and that's why people thinks it works so well.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
This sounds like a gimick...

My car has over 121K miles custom flash stage 2 and I never used seafoam...

02 WRX.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
This sounds like a gimick...

My car has over 121K miles custom flash stage 2 and I never used seafoam...

02 WRX.
Subaru actually sells a product called "Top Engine Cleaner" or something like that expressly for this purpose. I was also told to seafoam my engine after a reflash, and it stopped a hesitation problem. I have seafoamed the living ish out of my '80 Celica which I have driven hard for ~55k miles including several track days and it's been fine. I guess we'll see if it's bad for the engine.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:15 AM

Car Info: 96' Impreza GM4
My .02, you probably wanted to run seafoam before changing your plugs, or it might be likely some desposits might end up on your new plugs. Just a thought.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:29 AM
VIP Member

Question: I was reading on some other forum (can't remember which one, it was a link to a link to a link...) and someone asked the question as to whether or not this seafoam (or any other engine cleaner that breaks down carbon build-up) is really good for turbocharged engines. I mean, if you have major carbon build-up inside there, the exhaust gases haveto pass through the exhaust side of the turbocharger...could those chunks possibly ruin or damage a turbine's blade?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:31 AM

OK, I found out that you can use the black vacuum line from the BOV so I think it'll be pretty easy.

Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
Hey I just picked some of this up today...I haven't put it in yet but we could put in in together if you're gonna be at the Concord meet on Monday.
Im gonna swing by for a bit, but I dont think it will be the best place to do it. From what Ive heard we would smoke out the entire shopping center!! Someone would probably call the fire department.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
From what I've read about it, sea foam in the long run is bad for your engine. Yeah, it dries out all the carbon deposits in your engine, and exhaust but it also dries out everything else like your rings etc. I think it's active ingredient is kerosene, which really really dries out anything it touches, and that's why people thinks it works so well.
damn...this is the first Ive heard of seafoam having any negative effects. Until now, Ive gotten 100% positive remarks/comments regarding engine performance. Any more info on this??
Old 10-19-2005, 09:14 AM

Done, now smoother!

I poured in 1/3 pint (about 5.5 ounces) through the vacuum line off the bov, while my gf held idle at about 2K rpms so it wouldnt die early. I taped a straw to a funnel (gHetto) and stuck the straw in the line, then used a measuring cup to slowly pour it in. Once it was in, we killed the engine and waited 5 minutes.

Upon start up there was a thick cloud of white smoke, and then slowy stopped after about 10-15 seconds...I was kind of dissapointed after all the 'smoke out' stories Ive read. It did feel smoother instantly. I drove around for about 10 minutes and no more smoke. I went home and did the same process again.

The second time was different. While Im pouring it in, lots of thick white smoke is pouring out the tailpipe and when the engine is off my gf tells me that the check engine light started flashing! Now Im nervous, so I reset the ecu and wait for 5 minutes to pass. I start it up, and my car almost dissapeared in all the smoke!! I drove it out my apartment complex, turned my head around and the whole parking lot was cloudy. It smoked lightly for another 5 minutes, and I continued driving around town and on the freeway for about 15-20 to test it out.

Car is smoother and it feels/sounds healthy. High rpms (4-6K) sound and feel smoother, its not placebo effect. It feels like I changed spark plugs (and I did this a few weeks ago). This stuff works! Sign me up to the Seafoam club!! I have about 5 ounces left, Im gonna pour that in the gas the next time I take a semi long trip.

BTW, anyone know what the CEL could have been from?? Im assuming that it was from having the vacuum line off for so long...I dunno. Car runs great though.

Last edited by subie OCD; 10-19-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Glad to hear that it worked, Matt! Yeserday I ran 1/3 of a pint of Seafoam through my vacuum line (the one that connects to the bov like you showed me), turned it off, and let it sit for about 45 minutes. When I turned it back on, instantly there was a plume of white smoke, and it pretty much smoked all the way around the block and didn't end til I was on the freeway. I don't know if it made a huge difference, it may run alittle better, but if nothing else it's a piece of mind just knowing that my engine is cleaner. It's cheap insurance ($6) as far as I'm concerned. I'm gonna put the next 1/3 in my gas tank and the last 1/3 of the can in my oil right before I change it.

I'll PM you when I figure out when I can go pickup and the steering rack bushings and we can install both of ours. I'm gonna check out the Group N bushings also. They're supposed to be stiffer than the Whitelines.