NEED ADVICE: Home Recording Studio

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
NEED ADVICE: Home Recording Studio

So, I'm looking to getting into music again. Since, there are a few musicians on here i-clubbin' ; maybe you can provide me some info of what I need, where I need to go, the best packages and etc... TIA!

Marc
Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 PM

So far I look at:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/

M-AUDIO packages start at $899.00

Also, I have a Macbook with Garage band, all i need is the equipment!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
come to the cafe with your brother and talk to me
Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by international B
Thanks bro, i still got your advice as far as solo610/shure kmca 32. It's still in my blackberry! I was thinking of whole packages for best bang for the buck!

I'll let you know when I come down again!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Your best quality stuff isn't going to come in packages, that's one place to start, but if you want to get at all serious with things you owe it to yourself to save up for decent mics and monitors, then better converters and grown-up programs (garage band is very limited)

It is a never ending spiral...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Aaron has been inside every famous persons mouth
Old 11-19-2008, 11:05 PM

Car Info: '02 silver WRX sedan
Depending on your budget I would recommend using Logic Studio ($500) with an Apogee Duet ($500). It sounds glorious and is reasonably priced. Even runs well on an iMac. I've been using Logic for over 10 years and Apple has done an amazing job with it. At $500 it's a steal. And read up on the Apogee interface - very clean sounding interface with great pre-amps and a clean sound. And again, I can't say enough about Logic - but it depends on what you're into.

If you play guitar, I've really been digging the Amplitube plug-in for amp sims.

I've also used M-Audio/Pro-Tools M-Powered on a PC and compared to a Mac the performance isn't so hot - I also find Pro-Tools less intuitive/musical compared to Logic. Logic is like a total instrument to me - there's so many loops, instruments, plug-ins to work with in a very easy to use (finally!) shell.

I have friends who swear by Live but they do more electronic music. I noticed a huge difference between performance on Mac/PC. I watched a buddy spend $1,500 on a music PC and the lag problems could never be solved - ended up getting a desktop mac and it runs amazing. But then again, the amount of cash this guy drops on equipment...

I saw you mention Garage Band - that is fun and works great. Great program to start with. If you play guitar, consider some of Line-6's interfaces: they have a USB 2.0 mini-controller keyboard with XLR, 1/4" ins for playing keys plus plugging in guitars/mics. But the pres aren't going to be so nice and the latency isn't as quick as FW.

Do some research. For interfaces M-Audio is great because you get the Digidesign/ProTools connection but can also use it for other stuff. Apogee is great but a bit more costly. Presonus makes a great interface with a decent pre-amp for decent cash.

Monitors: I just got some KRKs and I love them. I did a bunch of research and they fit my needs the best. Small but with a subwoofer option by KRK. Great reviews - nice, flat, non-fatiguing sound. $300 a pair - if you want something cheaper, check out M-Audios self-powered monitors. A friend has the $150 ones with the little blue power light, they sound pretty darn good - no sub option for the future, though.

For music stuff shopping I like zzounds.com and audiomidi.com but there are plenty of options, as I'm sure you know.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
ive spent solid part of 4 months in the annex in menlo park, and its sick, but unless your going to have isolated rooms, tuned accoustics, and hundreds of thousands of dollars of other ****, you will do fine on just a few mics, as the sound will bleed anyway. I have a sound proof room in my garage, and would love to play with anyone.

if you send me your email i can send you some sample recordings

things i have tried

stereo sound: using Roland Edirol with built in microphones

stereo sound: using Sony 120° $100 mic with built in power source, headphone jack in to lap top

4 track analog system: bass going direct, one mic on guitar, 2 on drums (one on bass drum, one ambient over snare/ ride)

64 track: isolated vocals booth, isolated drum room. bass direct via 4 outputs, one mic on bass cab, mic on guitar. Keys, and other ambient

and for kicks, i did a recording on the rockband USB mic, recorded on garage band

like i said, i can send these to you for comparison, as far as low budget, the 4 track worked well, but doesnt do so hot with lots of inputs (horns, vocals, mooing cows, whatever else you do). runner up would be sony mic with earphone jack in to laptop with garage band (sound is on par with edirol, but much cheaper)
Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by international B
most definitely.

my brother has a home built studio but its in the fashion of the 70's. Analog. Tape. Reverb rooms. Etc.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
I agree that pro tools isnt the most musical option out there, but in my book as soon as you mention the word computer in the same sentence as a recording studio you are forgetting one thing... you need some of this **** to go along with it!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Pro tools is worth learning and investing in if your plan is to live and work in professional studios for the rest of your career, but there are plenty of decent alternatives in that department.

Aaron's picture here helps to illustrate what I mentioned earlier, the computer and software are but a small part of the investment you need to make if you want to do good recordings in a home studio....
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by psoper
Pro tools is worth learning and investing in if your plan is to live and work in professional studios for the rest of your career, but there are plenty of decent alternatives in that department.

Aaron's picture here helps to illustrate what I mentioned earlier, the computer and software are but a small part of the investment you need to make if you want to do good recordings in a home studio....
The biggest investment is the person sitting in the chair
Old 11-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Car Info: '02 silver WRX sedan
Word, joltdudeuc.

A couple other reasonably priced pres worth checking out if Mr. Rush is looking for a $500-$1k pre:

Great River MP-500NV @ $795

Grace Designs m101 @ $565

True Systems P-SOLO @ $499

Chameleon Labs 7602 @ $739 + ($110 for power sply)