Need advice: headers, uppipe, turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by 07wrx4life
I thought holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking turns off the Injectors?
That way you wouldn't need to unplug anything. I did this last time I primed my turbo and It worked fine for me.

This Is only for 06+ DBW obviously
Just tested it out and didnt work for me.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by STINGR3
Should be is the magic word. I don't know how many times I've seen people run a mbc/e-boost controller with the stock restrictor pill and figure why they can't control boost properly. Some people like to use the stock lines with the aftermarket boost controllers, seen it way too many times specially on a vf series turbo. Like you said it would be best to set it aside for future sale.

Ron
ya right? For those reading, if you change boost controllers, CHANGE THE DAMNED VACUUM LINES!!

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Just tested it out and didnt work for me.
Which is why is best to do it the easiest and safest way. Unplug the ignition fuse. I have even started priming this way after an oil change. It is so easy why risk it?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 PM

Car Info: WRX
Keep the info coming guys, if I had this much help to begin with when I first started wrenching and tuning then I wouldn't have made so much mistakes. I think the smart ones are the one that ask first, do it right the first time, and not worry about it later on.

Snowflow if your planning to run the stock boost controller solenoid you would need the restrictor pill to bleed off on. If you have a mbc and or some sort of electronic boost controller then take the pill out by sticking a skinny metal rod and pushing it out of the hose.

Ron
I have an EBCS. I don't know if I would be able to run it without a tune, so I figured to run the stock until I get protuned. Can I already install my EBCS (ditch the pill of course) and drive around with the vf48 and my AP tune, until my protune??? That's the big question.

Next issue, is if I should drain the coolant before the turbo swap, which is tough since I can't run the car until the turbo is primed and in, but I read it's a good idea to drain the coolant just to swap the turbo without a mess. Any ideas on this pickle?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:06 PM

Should I install the EBCS so that it is in "interupt" or "bleed" mode? Also can I drive around, really easy, staying out of boost, for now, until I get my tune? I really need to know by tomorrow. Or can I just leave the stock BSC with the restrictor pill (or without??) until I get my tune?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:01 PM

Car Info: sti
Originally Posted by snowflow
I have an EBCS. I don't know if I would be able to run it without a tune, so I figured to run the stock until I get protuned. Can I already install my EBCS (ditch the pill of course) and drive around with the vf48 and my AP tune, until my protune??? That's the big question.

Next issue, is if I should drain the coolant before the turbo swap, which is tough since I can't run the car until the turbo is primed and in, but I read it's a good idea to drain the coolant just to swap the turbo without a mess. Any ideas on this pickle?
Ok, I'm pretty out of it again from the medicine I'm taking but I'll answer some of your questions. Hook up the ebcs but don't run it, just run off of waste gate pressure. Meaning just put a single hose long enough that goes to the turbo nipple to the waste gate nipple just to be safe. Why? Because if you run the ebcs (without getting to technical) you will hit dangerous boost levels in an emergency situation where you might get on it even even on part throttle(ecu-waste gate duty cylce, turbo dynamics, etc. needs to be tweaked). When it's time(day) for the tune then hook it up.

Drain the coolant, put the turbo in, put coolant, then prime. Or you can get some locking plastic or metal hose pliers that pinches(not the one that cuts) the hose, (turbo coolant feed or return hose lines) then you don't have to worry about draining any coolant. Just a little spill here and there but just top off. Just some tips, if I this doesn't make since I will add more tomorrow excuse any spelling erros.

Ron
Old 10-23-2010, 11:11 PM

Ok, I'm pretty out of it again from the medicine I'm taking but I'll answer some of your questions. Hook up the ebcs but don't run it, just run off of waste gate pressure. Meaning just put a single hose long enough that goes to the turbo nipple to the waste gate nipple just to be safe. Why? Because if you run the ebcs (without getting to technical) you will hit dangerous boost levels in an emergency situation where you might get on it even even on part throttle(ecu-waste gate duty cylce, turbo dynamics, etc. needs to be tweaked). When it's time(day) for the tune then hook it up.

Drain the coolant, put the turbo in, put coolant, then prime. Or you can get some locking plastic or metal hose pliers that pinches(not the one that cuts) the hose, (turbo coolant feed or return hose lines) then you don't have to worry about draining any coolant. Just a little spill here and there but just top off. Just some tips, if I this doesn't make since I will add more tomorrow excuse any spelling erros.

Ron
Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it especially since you're trippin'. LOL
Problem is that I want to flush the old green coolant, which involves (I think) circulating some water to clean it out. Then refill with the new subaru super blue stuff. So i'm not sure how that's gonna work.

Can I just keep the stock BCS on and drive around like that until my tune?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it especially since you're trippin'. LOL
Problem is that I want to flush the old green coolant, which involves (I think) circulating some water to clean it out. Then refill with the new subaru super blue stuff. So i'm not sure how that's gonna work.

Can I just keep the stock BCS on and drive around like that until my tune?
Just drain it, if you want circulate it with water then go for it, then refill with the alien stuff. No need to worry about it too much, check for coolant leaks in the hoses on the turbo after wards and etc.

Stock bcs will be fine, but running it off just waste gate is just a preacaution.

Ron
Old 10-23-2010, 11:31 PM

Just drain it, if you want circulate it with water then go for it, then refill with the alien stuff. No need to worry about it too much, check for coolant leaks in the hoses on the turbo after wards and etc.

Stock bcs will be fine, but running it off just waste gate is just a preacaution.

Ron
So how about drain it, install the turbo, prime, and THEN flush with water and add refill with alien juice?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 PM

So how about drain it, install the turbo, prime, and THEN flush with water and add refill with alien juice?
Drain, install turbo, flush water and add refill with alien juice. That way so when your done priming the turbo you can start the car up and check for leaks. But seriously I'm done tonight, way out of it now.

Ron
Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 AM

alright, so the plan now is to drain the coolant and pop on the new turbo. So now how do I go about circulating through distilled water to get all the old green out without actually starting the car?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 AM

I would not worry about it too much. You are not breaking in an engine or anything crucial, so fill up with water while priming and then go about your flush.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by aboothman
I would not worry about it too much. You are not breaking in an engine or anything crucial, so fill up with water while priming and then go about your flush.
Cool, thanks. I'm going to drain coolant. Swap turbos, add water, prime, run, drain water, fill with more water, circulate again, then drain, and add new good coolant. Done.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Everything is installed. Turbo was primed. Everything fired up. I drained the coolant, filled with water, ran, now i'm waiting for it too cool down to drain and add water again.

Ugh, I hate coolant flushing. Probably not even going to get it done today. FML.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 PM

Dont worry about warming it up a bunch of times. Just turn the heater on so that the water circulates through the heater core, and then flush.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Well just finished up not too long ago.

A few beers and several hours later, I think i'm done. I finally filled with the super blue, ran for a little, then topped it off. Strangely I have about a quarter of a containers left. Guess I will probably have to add more tomorrow or something.

Quick Reply: Need advice: headers, uppipe, turbo install