Need advice: headers, uppipe, turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Car Info: sti
If not you can also pull out the coil packs on the spark plugs and crank the engine 3 times each time for 15sec.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by STINGR3
If not you can also pull out the coil packs on the spark plugs and crank the engine 3 times each time for 15sec.
If you do this, remember to pull the injector clips as well. The ignition fuse is much easier

-- Ed
Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
If you do this, remember to pull the injector clips as well. The ignition fuse is much easier

-- Ed
Thanks!!! I'll be sure to do this now. The fuse should be no problem to find.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning

-- Ed
Yes pull the injector clips as well. Thanks Ed.

Ron
Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Yes pull the injector clips as well. Thanks Ed.

Ron
Saw a writeup saying you can also unplug the fuel controller in the trunk. Don't know if this is the same for a 07 as the car in the writeup was an 03.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
IIRC, the "fuel controller" in the trunk would be for the fuel pump; the injectors would spray some fuel, until the line pressure came down. That would be good for replacing fuel filter or injectors, but for priming the turbo with oil/coolant, just pull the IGN fuse and hit both the injectors and the coils. (If you must pull the coils packs, also pull the injector clips, so they don't open.)
Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Car Info: 06 GMC Diesel
I thought holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking turns off the Injectors?
That way you wouldn't need to unplug anything. I did this last time I primed my turbo and It worked fine for me.

This Is only for 06+ DBW obviously
Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by 07wrx4life
I thought holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking turns off the Injectors?
That way you wouldn't need to unplug anything. I did this last time I primed my turbo and It worked fine for me.

Yep that's also true. That's actually the case for all OBD-II cars.

-- Ed
Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by macker
IIRC, the "fuel controller" in the trunk would be for the fuel pump; the injectors would spray some fuel, until the line pressure came down. That would be good for replacing fuel filter or injectors, but for priming the turbo with oil/coolant, just pull the IGN fuse and hit both the injectors and the coils. (If you must pull the coils packs, also pull the injector clips, so they don't open.)
The writeup said to run the car after unplugging until it dies. Then you know there is no more fuel in the injectors or line. Then swap, prime, run the turbo.

Originally Posted by 07wrx4life

Might as well do all the above!

Thanks for the headers man! When I asked for the other gaskets they said the only other one they had was one side of the headers and I was like uh no, that won't work.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:48 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Giving the car WOT should tell the computer to cut the injectors, in order to clear a flood condition. I don't know the ECU code first-hand, so I'm hesitant to say it's safe for 15+ second cranking, but it sounds good.

I'd be hesitant to cut just the fuel pump but not ignition; you'll depressurize the system, but you'll be firing cylinders on a lean mixture for at least a few revolutions. Probably not enough to damage the engine, but I'd rather cut both spark and fuel. Popping the coils and pump will spray some gas into your cat, etc., might make for a backfire when you start, but probably nothing serious.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:11 AM

Car Info: Fast
These are the techniques I have used on many turbo swaps, injector swaps, etc.

Unplug the fuel pump while the car is running. The car will burn more fuel this way. Try to turn it over for 5+ seconds a couple more times. You will still have some fuel the the lines, so make sure you have some rags ready when you unplug the fuel lines from the rails.

As for priming the turbo and oiling system, just unplug the ignition fuse. This eliminates any of the other possible issues and lets you focus on getting adequate oil to the turbo. I have seen a couple maps where the map throttle mapping was off and the car never reads 100% throttle. Ignition fuse is the most common, and easiest solution.

In addition, I would go ahead and leave the fuel pump unplugged to make sure not fuel is in the cylinders. I have never done this, but everyone seems concerned about fuel, so you might as well leave the pump unplugged as it is something you will be doing anyway. The ignition fuse might also remove power to the fuel pump relay, but I would have to go check to be 100%.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 AM

Alright, so priming is covered on every aspect of it now.

Anyone know any specifics about a vf48 going into an 07 wrx? Is there one of those mysterious restrictor pills that I have to mess with? Anything else I need to remember to do before I fire it up?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by snowflow
Alright, so priming is covered on every aspect of it now.

Anyone know any specifics about a vf48 going into an 07 wrx? Is there one of those mysterious restrictor pills that I have to mess with? Anything else I need to remember to do before I fire it up?
Keep the info coming guys, if I had this much help to begin with when I first started wrenching and tuning then I wouldn't have made so much mistakes. I think the smart ones are the one that ask first, do it right the first time, and not worry about it later on.

Snowflow if your planning to run the stock boost controller solenoid you would need the restrictor pill to bleed off on. If you have a mbc and or some sort of electronic boost controller then take the pill out by sticking a skinny metal rod and pushing it out of the hose.

Ron
Old 10-23-2010, 01:17 PM

Car Info: Fast
If you have a mbc and or some sort of electronic boost controller then take the pill out by sticking a skinny metal rod and pushing it out of the hose.

Ron
If he is going to use a Manual boost controller or an electronic unit, then he will be (or should be) replacing the lines entirely. In this case, he should leave the pill and their lines alone and put them aside in case he needs to sell the turbo, or a friend needs them
Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by aboothman
If he is going to use a Manual boost controller or an electronic unit, then he will be (or should be) replacing the lines entirely. In this case, he should leave the pill and their lines alone and put them aside in case he needs to sell the turbo, or a friend needs them
Should be is the magic word. I don't know how many times I've seen people run a mbc/e-boost controller with the stock restrictor pill and figure why they can't control boost properly. Some people like to use the stock lines with the aftermarket boost controllers, seen it way too many times specially on a vf series turbo. Like you said it would be best to set it aside for future sale.

Ron

Quick Reply: Need advice: headers, uppipe, turbo install