need advice with custom tune for AP version2

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX
need advice with custom tune for AP version2

Hey guys and gals.

I've been running my car on cobb's ots tune for pretty much all of it's life. I'm now starting to wonder if the grass really is greener on the other side. with that said, does anyone know where I can look to get a custom map made for my car? anyone with e-tune experience, please point me in the right direction?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:37 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
GST did a catless downpipe protune about 4 years ago on my STi. Was pushing 22 psi at first, but it died down to around 20psi when i sold it, probably because it was old and had a little boost leak. Car was perfectly fine when i sold it at 175k miles about a year ago, stock turbo and engine.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by ravenlunatic
Hey guys and gals.

I've been running my car on cobb's ots tune for pretty much all of it's life. I'm now starting to wonder if the grass really is greener on the other side. with that said, does anyone know where I can look to get a custom map made for my car? anyone with e-tune experience, please point me in the right direction?
My forester has been e-tuned. a lot of forester guys, including myself, go through Ray at Turbotektuning. he is really awesome.
on the forester forums there are a ton of threads asking about OTS maps, and the advice is always to get a protune if you can afford the extra cash. the OTS maps will work, but a protune is always going to be better suited for your exact car.

https://www.facebook.com/turbotek.ray
Ray@turbotektuning.com

Last edited by Rescuer; 06-08-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
You already have a cobb AP, you do not want anything but a cobb tune. I would second GST, as mike knows his stuff.

If you didn't already have a AP, I would say talk to Ray, but you have one, take advantage of it.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 AM

Car Info: 12 STi hatch
Originally Posted by Overbear
You already have a cobb AP, you do not want anything but a cobb tune. I would second GST, as mike knows his stuff. If you didn't already have a AP, I would say talk to Ray, but you have one, take advantage of it.
Heh? Cobb ots maps are a one size fits all. Which is ok to start with but not the best solution. I use a ap3 also, but with custom etune maps. It's great to be able to see and log data, all in small package. The bonus is cobbs valet mode and a host of other built in features.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Overbear
If you didn't already have a AP, I would say talk to Ray, but you have one, take advantage of it.
that doesn't make sense. the e-tune requires you to have an AP. Ray does tunes using Cobbs Asccesstuner pro and sends you the custom maps which you upload to your AP.

i started out my modding with a downpipe and cobb ap OTS. then Ray tuned my car a little better through e-tuning. months later, i modded the hell outta my car, and ray has tuned it again for me, and it's currently pushing a solid amount of power.

he's really good at what he does and has tuned a lot of cars on the forester forums, as well as other places (and IRL)

Last edited by Rescuer; 06-08-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'm a complete noob with tuning and so any bit of info is greatly appreciated. What's a protune? i've heard the term being tossed around but I never really knew what it meant. and why is it more costly then and e-tune? also what would i be looking at cost-wise for an e-tune?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

they are pro
professionals

tuners
Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
I got my car protuned at GST because of its location and I heard good things about Mike. They accommodated for my work schedule and I'm happy with my tune.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Thanks for the info guys. I'm a complete noob with tuning and so any bit of info is greatly appreciated. What's a protune? i've heard the term being tossed around but I never really knew what it meant. and why is it more costly then and e-tune? also what would i be looking at cost-wise for an e-tune?
Protune is done in person

Etune is sent to you and then you upload it yourself

That's why difference in price
Old 06-08-2014, 08:15 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
So many awesome tuners in the Bay Area, save up and go with a protune. I could see if you didnt have access to any good tuners in the area how an etune would be useful but we are lucky to have so many around here. I've had a few tunes from Ed @ EQtuning and Mike @ GST. They both do nice work. Lots of others in the area also.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
An e-tune will require a wideband O2 sensor and access to a laptop, even if you're using an Accessport.

E-tuning should only even be on your mind if there is no good tuner within a reasonable distance (4 hrs IMO). Otherwise you should be getting tuned in person.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 AM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
Originally Posted by Rescuer
that doesn't make sense. the e-tune requires you to have an AP. Ray does tunes using Cobbs Asccesstuner pro and sends you the custom maps which you upload to your AP.

i started out my modding with a downpipe and cobb ap OTS. then Ray tuned my car a little better through e-tuning. months later, i modded the hell outta my car, and ray has tuned it again for me, and it's currently pushing a solid amount of power.

he's really good at what he does and has tuned a lot of cars on the forester forums, as well as other places (and IRL)
Maybe turbotek sounds like its tuned using ecutek rather than an AP and confused some of us lol.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
An e-tune will require a wideband O2 sensor and access to a laptop, even if you're using an Accessport.

E-tuning should only even be on your mind if there is no good tuner within a reasonable distance (4 hrs IMO). Otherwise you should be getting tuned in person.
hmm I didn't know this this one. I don't have a wideband O2.. But, from the prior comments it seems like a pro tune is the way to go. Thanks for shop suggestions guys!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:40 AM
VIP Member

hmm I didn't know this this one. I don't have a wideband O2.. But, from the prior comments it seems like a pro tune is the way to go. Thanks for shop suggestions guys!
this is what I got a few months ago

use cobb AP and USB cable to a Laptop
AEM UEGO Digital Wideband O2 Air Fuel Ratio AFR Gauge 6-in-1 WBO2 Kit 30-4100, got mine on ebay for $153
Busted Finger wideband logging cable BFM Wideband O2 A/F Data Logging Cable Kit BFM Wideband Data Logging Air Fuel Kit [] - $31.99
Datalogging done through Cobb Accesstuner Race program with Cobb Accessport COBB Tuning - Subaru Accesstuner Race
paid local muffler shop guy $20 for the new bung install on my downpipe, although you can probably get it done for free/$10/$15.

then you set up Accesstuner on the laptop to record the logging data you need, and it'll also record the Air/Fuel ratios from the wideband in the downpipe>A/F gauge>bustedfinger cable>laptop