National Guard HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Sure, if you're main goal is to tell war stories to your grand kids and say things like "Don't call me sir, I work for a living".

Hi Paul!
Hello!
I say combat arms because over all, a person comes away with more useful skills than any REMF can learn.
I can usually spot combat arms MOS vet within a few seconds of talking win them; their confidence level is high, they stay calm in a stressful situation, they observe before acting, and have a "can do/will do" attitude that employers love. ..regardless of career field.

This "stick-to-it"ness is an invaluable trait that, as far as I can tell, is rarely present in REMF vets.

Granted, I have yet to find the need to call in an arty strike in my civilian life, but I know I can still do it!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Car Info: Searching...
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Hello!
I say combat arms because over all, a person comes away with more useful skills than any REMF can learn.
I can usually spot combat arms MOS vet within a few seconds of talking win them; their confidence level is high, they stay calm in a stressful situation, they observe before acting, and have a "can do/will do" attitude that employers love. ..regardless of career field.

This "stick-to-it"ness is an invaluable trait that, as far as I can tell, is rarely present in REMF vets.

Granted, I have yet to find the need to call in an arty strike in my civilian life, but I know I can still do it!
that mentality isn't hard to attain.....no need to lie or brag but i feel i have the same mentality......maybe its growing up with "old school" parents
Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Car Info: Subaru Wrx Sti 2005, 2012 Silverado, 2013 ZX-10R
I'm in the Coast Guard active duty. I serve with veterans from all the other branches who enjoy being in the Coast Guard more than they did in the Army, Navy, etc. You get to see and do a lot of things in the military you would never get to do as a civilian. I can say I have been around the world, sailed in all the seas, and been to countries that even the other branches haven't been to in over 40 years like Libya for instance. If you join the service, active duty is a much better experience and the benefits are a lot better for you in the end. Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Hello!

I'm just joshing you. Grunts are some of the most dependable I've ever met. They actually take their job to heart, unlike a lot of other rates/mos.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Dude go airforce.
You will live better, deploy less for less time, and did I mention live better.
This is coming from someone with 14yrs and counting the the army between active duty and reserve time.
If you do go army finish your degree and go direct commission. You will make more money and bang hotter chicks.
If you ignore what I said listen to Paul and go combat arms. You will have more fun and bang more chicks. Theres always time to become a REMF after you blow out your body.

Dont go guard or reserves. Pull the damn trigger and go active duty. Do your 20 collect you pension and without leaving your house at 40yrs old you will be making over 2k.

I didnt go active at first because of a stupid chick im not even with any more. Then I went. I got out because I make boo koo more dollars as a dod Civillian contractor because of the knowlege I gleaned from my service.

I now get paid to run simulations for the army. READ "PLAY VIDEO GAMES".

Hope this helped if you have further questions pm me. I am now a career counselor in the reserves or as REMF as they come. "been there done that FTR 11B,37F,31B,79V The jobs I have heald in the army. To say I diversified would be an understatement.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
I'm active duty AF and love it. I'm a flightline maintainer and love/hate it all at the same time lol. I love knowing that I fixed or helped someone fix a problem on a jet, got it turned around, and it goes right back up doing it's mission. Out of all the branches I chose AF because I did want a better quality of life compared to what I see in the other services through friends and family, there's a large variety of what you can do for your job, there's many overseas locations to be assigned to (I'm currently in Okinawa, Japan for example), we don't typically deploy as long/often as Army/Marines do as we will do 4-6mo deployments unless you're a cop and then it could be longer. Bootcamp and tech school were both a breeze for me.

Whatever branch you decide to go with just be sure you've weighed them all individually and it's the right one for your goals. As for me I've always wanted to be military and grew up in an AF town, alot of my friends are AF even back home, and I've always wanted to work on jets rather than flying the mighty pine. Just talk to recruiters (sort out all their BS because every branch has those dbag recruiters who will lie through their teeth BUT be sure to seperate the truth from BS because it may seem BS to you but it could be the truth and you didn't listen to the details!)
Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Car Info: 2007 STi
I am currently a Active Duty Recruiter. I also recruit for Reserves. You have alot of options being a Junior in College. Here are some options. 1. Enlist Active or Reserves and you are promoted to E-3 with a Associates Degree..if you go active the Army will pay up to $65,000 in student loans. PM me for the rest of options (too much stuff to type)

All I ask is before you make a Decision, check all your options and Different Branches....Good Luck
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 AM

Car Info: his wife crazy
U.S. Navy-5 years; U.S. Coast Guard-6 years; the amount of technical c-schools from the military-priceless. I have had the fortune to work on aircraft such as the AH-1W Cobra, EA-6B, S-3 Viking, all the way to the F/A-18F, serve 2+ years on an aircraft carrier, counterdict drug smugglers fom South America to Mexico, and support/maintain secret surveillance systems. Between the Navy and Coast Guard, I enjoy my time in the Coast Guard. Fewer people, more comradery. I'm not soliciting the Coast Guard here, or any other branch, but do your research and ask questions.....LOTS of questions!! It will help you to make your decision. PM me if you have questions.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by brewsky79
U.S. Navy-5 years; U.S. Coast Guard-6 years; the amount of technical c-schools from the military-priceless. I have had the fortune to work on aircraft such as the AH-1W Cobra, EA-6B, S-3 Viking, all the way to the F/A-18F, serve 2+ years on an aircraft carrier, counterdict drug smugglers fom South America to Mexico, and support/maintain secret surveillance systems. Between the Navy and Coast Guard, I enjoy my time in the Coast Guard. Fewer people, more comradery. I'm not soliciting the Coast Guard here, or any other branch, but do your research and ask questions.....LOTS of questions!! It will help you to make your decision. PM me if you have questions.
Thats the beauty of the military as long as you're willing to learn, use them to your advantage and can keep a level head. I work on aircraft as well and really can't come to terms what I do for a living and how valuable it could be for myself when I retire if I decide to pursue an A&P license and work on the civilian side of things.

Last edited by Hatteroo; 06-26-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
Originally Posted by Su_Buru
I'm also thinking about being a Police officer so someone who said about being a Military Officer for 5 years would be good experience....I know im just a junior but im tired of living the same day everyday and i wont graduate until 2012-13 since im behind in credits.
If you want to be a police officer, then the Coast Guard would be your branch of choice. The Coast Guard is the only branch authorized by law to make arrests and enforce laws. The navy may go out and do boardings and enforce laws, but it's always a coastie that leads the boarding team and arrests/charges them. In particular if you go the Maritime Enforcement rating you can really get into law enforcement. You can still do law enforcement in just about any rating however and even as a non rate as many choose to do. The experience you gain will really help you if you want to become a police officer and you can be active or reserve, and even when you're forced to retire, old and grey you can still help out in the auxiliary.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by sebhockey
If you want to be a police officer, then the Coast Guard would be your branch of choice. The Coast Guard is the only branch authorized by law to make arrests and enforce laws. The navy may go out and do boardings and enforce laws, but it's always a coastie that leads the boarding team and arrests/charges them. In particular if you go the Maritime Enforcement rating you can really get into law enforcement. You can still do law enforcement in just about any rating however and even as a non rate as many choose to do. The experience you gain will really help you if you want to become a police officer and you can be active or reserve, and even when you're forced to retire, old and grey you can still help out in the auxiliary.
I'm confused...are you talking about arresting people when it comes to inspecting a suspected ship or something?

Also be warned if you want to be a cop in the AF (I'm not one, but several friends of mine are and I've met others on the flightline) lower rank cops ie E1-E3 sometimes E4 go out guarding the flightline or particular aircraft for easily 8-12hrs a day sitting in one spot or walking around it or you get to have the experience of a life time sitting out in the middle of no where guarding missile silos in bum f-d nowhere of the montana/SD/ND regions.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:25 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by SR20steve
If I could do it all over again I would go ROTC or OCS. My brother was one of the few lucky ones that was enlisted and applied to West Point and actually got in, so it takes a act of god to get in so its a stretch.
This is what I did. If you have any questions, etc. feel free to ask. I am still in. Good stuff. Definitely gets you a leg up.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited
Originally Posted by Hatteroo
I'm confused...are you talking about arresting people when it comes to inspecting a suspected ship or something?

Also be warned if you want to be a cop in the AF (I'm not one, but several friends of mine are and I've met others on the flightline) lower rank cops ie E1-E3 sometimes E4 go out guarding the flightline or particular aircraft for easily 8-12hrs a day sitting in one spot or walking around it or you get to have the experience of a life time sitting out in the middle of no where guarding missile silos in bum f-d nowhere of the montana/SD/ND regions.
I'm talking of actual law enforcement. There are MP's but they are internal to the military only. The CG allows you to actually enforce laws like police officers do.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by sebhockey
I'm talking of actual law enforcement. There are MP's but they are internal to the military only. The CG allows you to actually enforce laws like police officers do.
Oh ok so you mean off base then.