My STi officially feels like a piece of absolute CRAP now... :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Thumbs up My STi officially feels like a piece of absolute CRAP now... :(

My old coworker (who was also into cars) just purchased a 997 Porsche GT3 with all the bells and whistles in the color black (it's a weird black).

He took me for a ride today for about 10 mins, then handed me the keys and let me drive it (with him in the car) for a good 20mins or so. He encouraged me to drive at WOT at certain times and it was UNBELIEVABLE. Ive always been a Porsche fan, but never had a chance to drive a super high end Porsche until today...

My god, it was EVERYTHING a car should be... So simple, so quick, so nimble, and just so great in every aspect possible. It's an N/A car so the power delivery is NOTHING like our cars. I seriously think I'm in love... The only other car I'd rather have is a GT2, but other then that, I'd take a GT3 over almost any car on this planet (under $400,000). It's THAT great.

Going back into my STi, it felt like I was driving a Geo metro...

The best thing about the car is that it's totally subtle and no one really knows what it is unless you're into cars... When you mash the pedal however, EVERYONE notices the sound and rate of speed in which the car accelerates. The only thing he had on his car was the large spoiler which is just about the only thing that makes you think that it's some kind of super car. The car is unbelieveable and I DID NOT expect for it to be as great as it was. I have always been a GT2 fanboi, but now I'm 100% a GT3 fanboi (not saying In not a GT2 fanboi, but I always have been and always have been), but the GT3 is an EPIC car and blows my STi away in every catergory.

Has anyone else driven one? Or better yet, has anyone every driven a GT2?

I'd love to hear stories of your adverntures in this beast of a car, because my experience as EPIC/AMAZING/PHEMONINAL

Flooring it on the freeway snaps your head back and you just sink into the back of the seat which is unlike any STi I've driven... The best part is that the car is STOCK (with the exception of exhaust, a catback of some sort or enhance the sound of the bioxxer).

I had a really crappy day today, until about 3 hours ago when I was allowed to drive the 997 GT3 Porsche which not only gave me an erection, but made me grin hours after I drove it....

I LOVE PORSCHE... REAL PORSCHES, not the Boxers and other low end cars, but the perfection that goes into the high end Porsches is unmtached (well, Ive never driven Ferrari's/lambos/etc, so I can't speak... But the GT3 was 0rgasmic... I had a hard on the entire time, I'm not gonna lie...

If you ever get a chance, DRIVE ONE!!! DRIVE IT HARD!!! It will make you so happy and could be better then sex, no question about it.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:53 PM

PS: It was a manual transmission FTW!!! The clutch was made of heaven. Steering wheel was kinda ugly though.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 2009 wrx
i never used to like the looks of porsches, but the new ones nowadays look pretty nice, especially the gt2 and gt3. i wish i could have one em too, but i probably won't be able to in my lifetime
Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
i've driven a CS4 and felt the inferiority factor that you refer to when getting back behind the wheel of the subaru.

I too have always loved Porsche and would love to have one in my garage next to my Suby.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Did you call the GT3 subtle?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
for 4X as much money, you can always do better.

Just remember - wholesale price on 1 GT3 Brake Rotor is $3500
Old 02-15-2010, 06:41 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
I used to own a 1980 911 and although that thing was quite hard to drive (heavy steering, heavy clutch, heavy gas pedal, long throw shifter, seating position was a little too far to the left, etc) it was very satisfying an. I'd love another Porsche someday...

And I understand the geo metro feeling, I felt that way the first time I drove an Sti. I stepped directly from the sti into my L and I had a hard time letting the clutch out because it was quite a bit heavier than my L's, not to mention the sluggish performance in comparison with the sti, lol.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
When I first got my 02 WRX, I took it to my cousin's place to show him; since he is into performance cars, I thought he would get a kick out of it.

Anywho, he let me drive his Viper without him in the car.

I felt like I just bought a brand new piece of crap.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Lowend
Just remember - wholesale price on 1 GT3 Brake Rotor is $3500
So with the money I spent on my car I could have almost replaced the front brakes on a GT3...
Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec B
I once got a ride in a 996TT with 580 Horsepower to the wheels, from Pozo's Saloon in SLO county eastward. The acceleration was absolutely astounding, but it was an older guy behind the wheel, and he made sure to keep everything civil with regards to driveability. The exhaust was not even audible most of the time but the surroundings just melted into a blur. That ride was the final straw for me in choosing between N/A and Forced Induction for a car.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:02 PM

The ceramic rotors on a GT2 last just about the life time of the car, reported by car and driver magazine, They are very durable and VERY strong.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 06 STi 293hp/310tq / 2.5 FLI tune
Drove a 2006 997 Carrera S conv. with the automatic trans, I didn't like it very much. The steering felt too light and it was way too low. But that power was nice and smooth. The power in the Carrera was way more refined, the STi is just brutal raw power.

Difference is like Ricky Bobby vs. the French guy.

http://porsche.niello.com/details.php?id=23896
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 PM

Car Info: $2000 hawkeye
Bro, my friend's Eclipse GSX with GT42R will take that Porsche. I can bet my *****...that's how I'm confident about it
Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I drove a friend's 997 GT3 a few times. The car feels extremely well balanced all around. Brakes, suspension and power delivery are spot on. The GT3 is track ready in stock form, which is a nice thing. I recently drove it after my friend installed an AWE Tuning exhaust. That thing screams at high RPMs now. Sounds absolutely amazing when you go thru a tunnel.

About the steering wheel, I actually like it a lot. The suede wheel feels really nice, especially compared to the stock steering wheel in the 996TT. You can really get a good grip on it.

Last edited by Lurk; 02-15-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by 1JavaBlk_in_Sac
Bro, my friend's Eclipse GSX with GT42R will take that Porsche. I can bet my *****...that's how I'm confident about it
At the end of the day, your friend's Eclipse is still a crappy DSM. And I'd still pick the Porsche over it.

Quick Reply: My STi officially feels like a piece of absolute CRAP now... :(