My Own NIGHTMARE with Gruppe-S I Urge you to read!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by BOOOST4
Brakes are brakes. You screw those up there is NO excuse.

I don't care if it's 1 install or 1 million installs. This isn't an exhaust leak issue.

There has to be a QA/QC check with redundant controls for something like brake work. Wouldn't ANYONE here expect that from a professional shop?

You're talking about life and death. If the brakes were indeed installed incorrectly, there is NO EXCUSE.

IF, they were installed incorrectly, then I don't accept the "we're all human" excuse. No one here should. This isn't forgetting a gasket...these are brakes and fatalities can result even with conservative driving.

I agree completely. This has been enough to scare me off of going to them for future work. From reading other people's posts, I have no doubts they are nice guys and have tons of experience. But perhaps they're a little TOO busy? I got my UP and DP done by them and the bolts weren't torqued down at all. It was no big deal cause it took all of 5 minutes to check em and tighten them...but now I'm kinda seeing a pattern emerge and that scares me. Hopefully, this issue is resolved and it turns out G-S was not to blame...
Old 04-28-2006, 02:30 PM

Car Info: wrx
most of you are biased, so it doesnt matter how much praise you give the shop because you arent going to see if from the other persons point of view until it happens to YOU.

thanks for sharing your horror story. we all should know this. as much as gruppe-s is ran by humans and we all make mistakes, this is also a business that should get the job done. afterall, we pay good money for good parts and service. not more problems and customer service after the fact.

damn straight i made a good point. you cheerleaders can flame on baby!
Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
My mom says im handsome.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
^ thats cuz she's totally biased

i was jk dont kill me.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
wow i am glad that you are safe
Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
I am trying to think....how do you install brake line incorrectly?? I mean...is there enough slack to allow them to rub on the inside of the rims....I have done my own installs on brake lines many times,...and I cant see how theywould be installed wrong, so as to rub...I remember there being a clip that even holds the brake lines out of the way...

huh??

Anyhow, glad your ok and nobody got hurt...I know this will get resolved. The crew at GS are the only ones that I would trust do work on my car....If I couldnt do it myself.

-freddie

Last edited by 1WRX2NV; 04-28-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
Originally Posted by 1WRX2NV
I am trying to think....how do you install brake line incorrectly?? I mean...is there enough slack to allow them to rub on the inside of the rims....I have done my own installs on brake lines many times,...and I cant see how theywould be installed wrong, so as to rub...I remember there being a clip that even holds the brake lines out of the way...

huh??

Anyhow, glad your ok and nobody got hurt...I know this will get resolved. The crew at GS are the only ones that I would trust do work on my car....If I couldnt do it myself.

-freddie
yes there is enough slack in them to rub on the inside edge of the rim. even more if your running a wider then stock rim and different offset.
they can also rub on the inner fender which eventually would rub thru also.
the s/s lines are more ridged then the factory lines so its not as easy to get them positioned away from the suspension and also the wheels and body.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
there you have it.. if the lines have too much slack, wouldn't that be manufacturers defect? I know there were several incidents like this due to improper designed brakelines.

btw, what brand of brakeline is this? I know goodridge had some issues like this in the past.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
WORKS Rally is having problems with their brakelines too! check this link:
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9979
Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by brandx
Hey man - I didn't realize it was you. Good to know you're ok - wouldn't want those new BBSs to get wrecked! JK -B

Thanks man, yep the rims are still holding up!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by projectwrx
most of you are biased, so it doesnt matter how much praise you give the shop because you arent going to see if from the other persons point of view until it happens to YOU.

thanks for sharing your horror story. we all should know this. as much as gruppe-s is ran by humans and we all make mistakes, this is also a business that should get the job done. afterall, we pay good money for good parts and service. not more problems and customer service after the fact.

damn straight i made a good point. you cheerleaders can flame on baby!
We are a business and we do get the job done. That's the bottom line. If we make a mistake, we fix it. Otherwise, we might as well not exist. There is no excuse for brakes and I'm not claiming that being human is an excuse. However, what happened happened so we have chosen to learn from the experience (regardless of fault), correct whatever mistakes we might have made, and move on.

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 05-02-2006, 03:02 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
Originally Posted by gruppe-s
We are a business and we do get the job done. That's the bottom line. If we make a mistake, we fix it. Otherwise, we might as well not exist. There is no excuse for brakes and I'm not claiming that being human is an excuse. However, what happened happened so we have chosen to learn from the experience (regardless of fault), correct whatever mistakes we might have made, and move on.

Thanks,

Geoff
w3rd, way to step up!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:15 PM

Car Info: 2006 Legacy Spec B
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Hi, I feel it is my duty to post this for all you to read. Ok here we go,

So about 2.5-3 weeks ago I had some work done at gruppe-s including bf SS lines. This previous friday I left the bay area for tahoe after switching my brand spanking new bbs rims/winter tires on. So on saturday rolls around and on my way to kirkwood my brakes suddenly go out!!! yes out! Luckily I was able to control the car and not hit anything (thank god it wasn't snowing yet). I get it to a tire store in tahoe, and they put it up on the rack and imediately come to me telling me my brake line was cut from rubbing the wheel and I sure as hell ought to get back to whoever installed these. Well im pist and it's my vacation buy oh well. Subaru doesn't carry brake lines at any dealers in ca, and I wasn't able to find this out until monday because of the holiday weekend/no parts dept. open. Well monday comes around I can't get them so my father is able to drive up a set and bring them to me from subydude (same bf lines) which we later got installed. I had to wait until tuesday to get my car, but i had a flight to catch so I had to leave it in tahoe!!! and have my dad rent a car and pick it up later in the week.

Well gruppes called me later after hearing my message and we haven't heard to much back from them, although im definitely taking this all the way.

They told me a rock must have hit it etc.... yea right ......the tire store guy was a real car nut and he as well as subuaru were able to tell me it was installed incorrectly (they were horrified) and were able to show me the problem. Well gruppes claims it would have happened before since it was 3 weeks old, well my old wheels (ones on since install before tahoe weekend) are scrapped on the inside all around from the line rubbing. What a joke. Also the job was suppose to take an hour and a half and extended to 5 (at gruppes), i saw multiple people working on my car and none of them seemed to know what they were doing. (maybe packaging guys started doing some mechanic work). Also my sti which never has burned a drop of oil even after track, was very low within a week (great oil change huh).

Well luckily I didn't wreck, but gruppes is damn well going to take responsibility for this. I want to warn you all about this, if this happened sunday 1 more day later i could be dead as the conditions were heinous. The first time i went to gruppes the tuner put on a map and my idle was messed up. He then said no no it wasn't his map that my intercooler probably came loose etc.. as my idle was messed up and hanging rev's. Well of course the next day he frantically sends me a map that corrects the problem that wasn't his fault.
The major thing here though is the brakes, it was very dangerous and I never expected this crap from gruppe-s. I want everyone to be warned that there shop is not what its cracked up to be. I assumed because of all the good press they'd gotten on the msg boards there was nothing to worry about, boy was I wrong.
Well I hope you all pick your mech's very safely.

To clarify it was obvious by the mechanics the lines were not installed correctly at least on one side. I'm sure gruppes will take responsibility once the pictures/testimony is given to them. Well i'm glad to have my sti back up and safely running again, but this has given me a real scare, i bought these lines for safety better braking etc.. but instead almost wrecked. Be careful wht you chose people!

Keep in mind I live down south and constantly take the 101 cruising at 100, I did this on wed night last week. What if they had cut the rest of the way through then I could have died.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthre...t=34728&page=2
dude this is a self signed confession for speeding. if there is a cop on the board you will be in jail for speeding on 101.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by specb
dude this is a self signed confession for speeding. if there is a cop on the board you will be in jail for speeding on 101.

Lol, get real.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:25 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by RedStage
"Keep in mind I live down south and constantly take the 101 cruising at 100, I did this on wed night last week. What if they had cut the rest of the way through then I could have died."

101 is the name of the road....NOT the speed limit. Slow down....you might just live longer.
when he says "the 101", it sounds like he's from LA

Quick Reply: My Own NIGHTMARE with Gruppe-S I Urge you to read!