My motor is ****ed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:06 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
looks like you need to put it all on a credit card, or only fix that one head which will still cost you about a grand.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:14 AM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by Krinkov
how much did you expect it would cost for parts/labor??
I was hoping closer to 6K. I fit looks like it will be much more then that then it will go to LIC, but if I can get it for 6K, Im gonna do it for 6K.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Just go pick up an 06 with the 1.9% APR special they are offering. Then you will have absolutely no problems with motor, waiting for the car, or if they do it right.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Are you looking at a complete WRX swap (motor, trans, etc) or just the motor? WRX motors seem to come up fairly frequently and don't cost too much. It's the STi engines/trannys that cost bank.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by 06WRX4ME
Just go pick up an 06 with the 1.9% APR special they are offering. Then you will have absolutely no problems with motor, waiting for the car, or if they do it right.
+1,

and I thought they were going to do 0% on remaining 06s?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
0% is just that much better.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by jewpac42
I was hoping closer to 6K. I fit looks like it will be much more then that then it will go to LIC, but if I can get it for 6K, Im gonna do it for 6K.
LIC does have a labor only option for $4k or something. Maybe if you get lucky, you can find a wrecked WRX for low 3000's.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 AM

Car Info: 03' Subaru Impreza WRX - R.I.P.
slvrsuby is correct about STi swaps costing bank, but if ur gonna do it right for the long run, that's the best way (USDM or JDM STI powertrain FTW) to go (compared to building a motor from the block up, or getting a WRX engine and start modifying it until you are happy)

My swap on my L costs me a bit more than I expected cuz I did not pick all the right components in the beginning. I did not realize I would break so many engines and trannys in the 2 years I owned my L. One tip of advice to think about is: how abusive are you to your car? Knowing your driving style and luck with parts failure can help you determine what powertrain components you should get. Best of luck with your upgrade route though.

Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
Are you looking at a complete WRX swap (motor, trans, etc) or just the motor? WRX motors seem to come up fairly frequently and don't cost too much. It's the STi engines/trannys that cost bank.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza Wagon... 1.8 Litres of fury!
I'm surprised nobody suggested a new head or repairing it? There are multiple avenues that could be taken that would cost a few hundred dollars. Well, I'll buy your RS motor and wiring if that's the only thing wrong with it. Good luck
Old 09-13-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 06WRX4ME
Yah, sure thats no problem, why spend only 8 when I could spend 25?

Does anyone think before they post anymore?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
Just a motor.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
+1,

and I thought they were going to do 0% on remaining 06s?
Not with my credit, plus I do not want to be stuck trying to sell a car that doesnt run, and then on top of it buy a new car that costs almost as much as my annual salary.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by sonic_yellow
slvrsuby is correct about STi swaps costing bank, but if ur gonna do it right for the long run, that's the best way (USDM or JDM STI powertrain FTW) to go (compared to building a motor from the block up, or getting a WRX engine and start modifying it until you are happy)

My swap on my L costs me a bit more than I expected cuz I did not pick all the right components in the beginning. I did not realize I would break so many engines and trannys in the 2 years I owned my L. One tip of advice to think about is: how abusive are you to your car? Knowing your driving style and luck with parts failure can help you determine what powertrain components you should get. Best of luck with your upgrade route though.
Thing is, I do not want to mod it heavily, at most TBE, tune, maybe a bigger turbo, but probably not. All I want is my GC with a but more power, Im not looking for a 12 sec beast.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Impretzle
I'm surprised nobody suggested a new head or repairing it? There are multiple avenues that could be taken that would cost a few hundred dollars. Well, I'll buy your RS motor and wiring if that's the only thing wrong with it. Good luck
Make me an offer, I dont want to put a new head on one side just to have problems with the other side later on. Plus, it costs more then a few hundred dollars to get a new head with installation. I dont know how to work on the engine of a car, and I dont want to learn now trying to repair my head.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by jewpac42
Yah, sure thats no problem, why spend only 8 when I could spend 25?

Does anyone think before they post anymore?

That'd be like 25K over 5 years (didn't include interest) instead of $4K on the spot for parts and another 2, 3, 4k for labor. Sure you can get the block for... $400. Then you'll need the turbo, intercooler, wiring harness, ecu, and on and on and on. I've asked around about the conversions for my L.

LIC quoted me:

$9K for the swap (labor and parts)
$2k for the rear brake conversion (includes parts)

If my memory serves me right.

FLi pretty much quoted me the same thing.

$3500 in labor
$3000-$5000 for a JDM front clip

As they said it, by getting a front clip, it'll have all the parts need to make the conversion run.

A conversion will be expensive. If you just need a car and don't want to spend a lot of money, have it repaired.

If you know how do the conversion or know people you can help you, you'll be spending at least $3 or $4k for a front clip or wrecked WRX and saving yourself the headache of tracking down all the parts. You could buy all the parts seperately to save a little money then find out that you forgot to get something and have even more downtime since you can't continue the conversion.

If you want someone else to do the conversion and save yourself the headache, you can fork over the money, and have them get all the parts and do the whole conversion.... and if you go to LIC, it'll be CARB legal.

My recommendation is get it fixed, or go out and buy a used bugeye or something. If you do decide to do a conversion, you'll spend AT LEAST 4k.

Last edited by darkonion; 09-13-2006 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: My motor is ****ed