My Glock Stress Test = Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:14 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
The engineer always has to **** in our cereal.

-Chris
pretty much
Old 12-27-2005, 07:18 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by HomerJay
I find failures often stem from bad rounds. I hate "American Eagle" by Federal. Everything federal makes is quality except their "American Eagle" line. I think they use bad primers or something.
Hmm, I never had any problem with AE ammo. But I have noticed that their .223 brass has REALLY thin case necks. Compared to Winchester, Remington, etc. In .223 I'd much rather use Winchester Q3131A.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by ish
That has nothing to do with stress. That is more of a reliabilty test.

Actually, it is a stress test. You're putting a ton of stress on a lot of the components... You're supposed to keep certain parts oiled, and after a while that oil disappears which usually causes a lot of problems, and thus, you're putting more stress on it.

I win, you lose.

Last edited by brucelee; 12-27-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:55 PM

I don't personally own one, but I did plenty of research on both, and spoke to several owners who have both an XD and a glock. From what I gathered their price difference is pretty representative of their quality difference. The XD is about 8-9/10 the price of a comperable glock and is about 8-9/10 as good. So if money is a real big issue, you get what you pay for in the XD; no more, no less. The biggest difference, independant of cost, is the grip angle. I personally don't like the angle of the Glock grip one bit, so once I decide to buy another pistol I i'll personally purchase an XD with no regard to the cost savings solely based on the grip. This is something you really need to try to see what you prefer. I tried a Glock 22, a Glock 23, an XD40, and a SA 1911A1 Mil-Spec and fell in love with the grip angle that the XD and 1911's share. For 99.9% of buyers out there the XD will be plenty reliable for plinking and home defence. For those that trust their lives to these things daily, such as cops etc., then the 1-2/10 difference may be important.

-Chris

I disagree with everything you said.

The XD is not lower quality than Glocks by any means... If anything, the XD might be better than glocks to some people due to the loaded chamber indicator, cocked-indicator, and grip safety. The grip angle is also different, and much more like Sigs and such. It's a great f'ing pistol.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
AK FTW. Those things will fire from inside the sand pit, in blazing snowstorms, etc...
Old 12-27-2005, 08:33 PM

Glock is the AK-47 of the pistol world, only more accurate.

I love AK's for that reason... Reliable as HELL. (even the crappy chinese made ones are reliable). The Bulgarian and Russian ones are my fav.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 PM

Car Info: N/A
Well I'm going to a firing range tomorrow and learn to shoot for the first time. My buddy is bringing his Sig not sure which model but it is a 9mm and his 22mm. He suggested that I try to rent different guns to see which I like but also said that his next purchase would be an XD and highly recommended it. I just wanted to see what the general idea was. Thanks for the replies
Old 12-27-2005, 10:23 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Talking

Originally Posted by gh0st shad0w
My buddy is bringing his Sig not sure which model but it is a 9mm and his 22mm.

dayummmmm... sure that's legal????

Old 12-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I don't like Glock because it is made from recycled milk grates.
I like AK because it is made from recycled Soviet tanks.

Plastic = not good in my books.

Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it does not work, you can always hit him with it.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Imprezer
I don't like Glock because it is made from recycled milk grates.
I like AK because it is made from recycled Soviet tanks.

Plastic = not good in my books.

Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it does not work, you can always hit him with it.

HA! Only the lower frame on a glock is plastic, and it does not break... You disappoint me my russian friend.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
I prefer sig over glock for one reason, when I first shot with the glock I found I shaved alot of skin off my right thumb this was a glock 22 and 3 mags.

Last edited by pbchief2; 12-28-2005 at 12:35 AM. Reason: no comment
Old 12-28-2005, 12:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by brucelee
I disagree with everything you said.

The XD is not lower quality than Glocks by any means... If anything, the XD might be better than glocks to some people due to the loaded chamber indicator, cocked-indicator, and grip safety. The grip angle is also different, and much more like Sigs and such. It's a great f'ing pistol.

Perhaps quality was the wrong term, I just mean its not as proven in terms of reliability. One specific area in which its quality is most certainly in question, at least by some of the owners I spoke to, is the funish of the slide. Some of the owners reported premature wearing of the black finish on the edges and surface rust that would accumulate quickly, though would clean off fairly easily as well. One specific gentleman that I spoke to (in fact the owner of the shop where I bought my 1911) said that the slide finish issue was the one glaring short coming of his XD compared to the Glocks he owns.

-Chris

Last edited by bassplayrr; 12-28-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:16 AM

Car Info: iono nemore
Originally Posted by Imprezer
Thats why I like my M249. Its got a good weight to it for clubbing when you run out of ammo.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:55 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
I asked the same question about a month and a half ago and got a fuzzy answer. There is no simple 'buy x' from what more knowledgeable people have told me. But I did narrow it down to Glocks, XD series, a 1911 variant, Baretta 92, or a Sig. This isn't just the list for novices, but for those looking for a quality peice in general. Most important is comfort followed by budget. If you are TOTALLY unfamiliar with firearms, you may want to start with a .22, maybe a nice little Ruger. Otherwise just try as many as you can in terms of both size and caliber and purchase what makes your grin the biggest within your budget. Pick within the the brands listed above and I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. I'm by no means an expert, but I just went through the 'my first pistol' process and thats what worked for me.

-Chris

also keep in mind that no caliber is universally better for a novice. Usually the smaller the better in terms of learning but not necessarily. I, for example, found the recoil from a Glock .40 and even 9mm to be less comfortable than .45 in a 1911 because the Glock is lighter and the muzzle seemed to 'snap up' more violently. The 1911 in .45 however feels more like a stong but much slower 'shove.'
thanks. also, does anyone have any knowledge in "auto-loaders"? all i know is that they are large-caliber pistols......
Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie
A Glock will fire after sitting loaded in a bucket of seawater for a day. You could use it to nail a treehouse together and it'll still shoot.

They're an awesome gun. You do have to get used to the shape and trigger some. I love the way my Ruger feels and shoots, just wish it had the reliability of the glock

Quick Reply: My Glock Stress Test = Results